Why are Mickey Mouse-themed areas expendable?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Why are Mickey Mouse-themed areas expendable?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Why is it that any section at WDW that is themed (directly or indirectly) to Mickey and the gang (i.e., Mickey's Toontown Fair, Camp Minnie-Mickey) considered a temporary section and thus expendable? In comparison to Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland anyway?
moviefan12
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Why are Mickey Mouse-themed areas expendable?

Post by moviefan12 »

I can't answer about Camp Minnie-Mickey but I'm not too sad over losing it but Mickey's Toontown Fair, started out as a temp land, "Mickey's Birthdayland" and it wasn't meant to be permanent but after it became Toontown, it just became popular and I'm okay with seeing it go as I've liked what I've seen of the new Fantsayland.
Favorite Animated Disney films: 1. Dumbo, 2. Tangled, 3. Frozen, 4. Beauty and The Best, 5. The Little Mermaid, 6. Cinderella

Favorite Princesses, 1. Rapunzel, 2. Ariel, 3. Sofia, 4.Elsa, 5. Belle, 6. Cinderella/Anna
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Because nobody cares about Mickey, sadly.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Because nobody cares about Mickey, sadly.
I think I would have to agree with you there. I would go so far as to say Mickey isn't the main symbol of Disney anymore. His silhouette maybe, but that is as far as it goes it seems nowadays.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Atlantica wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:Because nobody cares about Mickey, sadly.
I think I would have to agree with you there. I would go so far as to say Mickey isn't the main symbol of Disney anymore. His silhouette maybe, but that is as far as it goes it seems nowadays.
Yes, it's sad. Practically Mickey and Friends have turned from beloved characters of Disney into product placements and icons. Now Disney (and some fans) treat them as if they are only mascot icons with no personalities, and Disney uses them just like McDonalds uses their red clown.

Disney now uses them for advertisements or baby's shows, and that is sad. I remember in the 90s they had a lot of stuff to do: Ducktales/Quack Pack, Goof Troop/A Goofy Movie, Runaway Brain, House of Mouse...What happened for this massive change?

That's why I'm all for these new shorts and the Get A Horse short, at least they bring new life to the Gang.

Tbh the 2000s have been pretty bad for the Gang, only House of Mouse and things like Kingdom Hearts/Epic Mickey saved them from oblivion.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Atlantica wrote: I think I would have to agree with you there. I would go so far as to say Mickey isn't the main symbol of Disney anymore. His silhouette maybe, but that is as far as it goes it seems nowadays.
Yes, it's sad. Practically Mickey and Friends have turned from beloved characters of Disney into product placements and icons. Now Disney (and some fans) treat them as if they are only mascot icons with no personalities, and Disney uses them just like McDonalds uses their red clown.

Disney now uses them for advertisements or baby's shows, and that is sad. I remember in the 90s they had a lot of stuff to do: Ducktales/Quack Pack, Goof Troop/A Goofy Movie, Runaway Brain, House of Mouse...What happened for this massive change?

That's why I'm all for these new shorts and the Get A Horse short, at least they bring new life to the Gang.

Tbh the 2000s have been pretty bad for the Gang, only House of Mouse and things like Kingdom Hearts/Epic Mickey saved them from oblivion.
Excuse me, we're getting a bit off-topic here.

My question was not related with Mickey being expendable at Disney in general. My question was, how can Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair (or Camp Minnie-Mickey) be considered expendable, while Toontown at Disneyland not so much? Granted, they were always touted as temporary at WDW, but why would they be so at WDW and not Disneyland?

Again, this is about Disney theme parks, not Disney in general.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I've never really felt that Mickey had that much of a presence in the Paris Park compared to the rest of the world ?

He has nothing in Disneyland itself, apart from his beanstalk. He has Toon Town in the Studios, but that never seems very poplar …
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Well, Disneyland has what could be considered a headliner attraction in Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. WDW really had nothing but meet and greets and play areas so there was really nothing to lose. The Barnstormer was easily refurbed to fit in with the Big Top Circus theme. Except for Roger Rabbit and Dumbo these areas have little interest for me and my boyfriend. Too many kids having meltdowns and pushy parents, imo.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

He just seems to have his token float at the beginning of the parades over here really.

Also interestingly enough, he wasn't involved in Disney Dreams! either, the central character is Peter Pan . . .
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I haven't been Paris in years so I never saw Disney Dreams, but using Peter pan as a main character seems a very weird choice.
I'd love a bit more Mickey in the park. His presence doesn't extend much further than merchandise.

I know Paris did set up a Mickey meet and greet area a while back. It's so small though and stuffed in a small corner near the start of main street.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I don't think including Peter in Disney Dreams! is an odd choice at all; he has always had a very strong presence in the park, and is very loved there.

And also, from an interest point of view, maybe they wanted to get more boys to want to see it by including Peter as the star rather than Mickey ? That would make sense. On that note, that could be a reason why the Princesses aren't the main presence in the show either, to ensure the boys have something to excite them to stay and watch.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Well there is Fantasmic! Granted, that's only a show, but it's still kind of a big deal.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I guess, but it's still not anything like a ride or permanent area or anything, you know?