Thoughts about Syria

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Thoughts about Syria

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Okay let's put some rules in place. Anyone as so much says one word that breaks a rule, I will have this thread closed and that's that.

Rule #1. While debating, keep it friendly and absolutely No personal attacks and no demeaning fellow members for what they think.

Rule #2. This is only about Syria and anything about Syria. I don't want to hear how Obama is not an American or that his healthcare plan sucks/is good or the NSA Spying or gun control. This is only about Syria and whether you think we should strike against them. You can compare it to Bush's Iraq but that's it.

Now on that note, I'm sure many of you know that Obama is thinking about sending some missiles to Syria, and it was announced that British Parliament decided not to strike due to not trusting the intelligence and I agree, the USA should not strike Syria until we have a lot more facts and know without a doubt that Hassad has for sure used chemical weapons. This is what happened back when Bush bombed Iraq for Weapons of Mass Destruction and there were none. I don't regret voting for Obama as this is the first thing I've come to not agree with, but on the bright side Obama hasn't made a decision yet, but I would urge him to be patient and wait longer until we can confirm these reports.

Again. Remember the Rules, and respect them.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Thoughts about Syria

Post by milojthatch »

I find myself agreeing with points on both sides. On one hand, I worry about the US once again possibly getting into the affairs of another nation. I also worry about the chain of events this could bring and conflicts that don't exist right now that could if this happens. On the other hand, the image of those people, children and babies dying or dead from chemical weapons doesn't sit well with me. I agree that someone must be held responsible for that horrid act and it must not be allowed to happen again.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm happy I'm not someone who has to make these decisions and feel we should all pray that those who do will make the right ones. Pray for peace and wisdom. 8)
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

milojthatch wrote: I guess when it comes down to it, I'm happy I'm not someone who has to make these decisions and feel we should all pray that those who do will make the right ones. Pray for peace and wisdom. 8)
Very Very True.

carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My thoughts at this juncture reflect the thoughts of a former general I heard on CNN. Asad and his supporters (Iran,, etc) are our enemies; the rebel fighters are our enemies (Al Qaeda/Hezbollah,etc). For the time being let them kill each other in the name of Islam/Allah. I do feel for the innocent lives being destroyed, but that's their world and their business. The West could send humanitarian aid ( but not $$$) as long as it gets to those who truly deserve it.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:(

All of this is making me really sad especially the fact how awful both sides are. The innocent are caught in the middle and its just so heartbreaking. If you know the situation with Christians in Syria then it really is gut bunching because Assad is their only source of protection in their country and the guy has been shown to be a monster.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

All I can say is if Obozo goes into this on his own without Congressional approval, then he will be compared to Bush about the Iraq war and WMD's. He should either quit taking vacations or quit campaigning and stick the business that concerns America and Americans. He has enough on his plate that he shouldn't worry about those people in Syria at this time. Yes, it is tragic and the loss of innocent life is nothing to joke about. That said, the UK was correct in not sanctioning any alliance with an attack by the US at this time.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Obama will seek congressional approval before any military action against Syria
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... syria?lite

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Michael, you need to show both sides of the story, not just the one you think is true. Read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... -on-syria/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

dvdjunkie wrote:Michael, you need to show both sides of the story, not just the one you think is true. Read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... -on-syria/
Actually I just found the first link I could find about the story. I wasn't being partial to NBC or Fox in this case.

This is one issue that I don't think it's wise for Obama to go before the UN Inspectors are done doing their investigations. However bombing Syria is the first time I don't agree with one of his ideas.

Now remember let's not go into his other stuff he's done good or bad, as this thread is specifically about Syria and Syria alone.

Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Obama will seek congressional approval before any military action against Syria
Surely he should do that automatically, rather than deciding to do it? Or am I mistaken about the processes in the American political system?

Syria is an awfully complex problem, and I fear another Iraq war, yet I wholly believe in interventionism. I'm frustrated by politicians' apathy towards other hellish dystopias such as North Korea and Iran, but am glad that Obama and others wish to do something about Syria (including David Cameron, who strongly wants to help America, despite the enormous unpopularity of intervention in the UK). Regardless of whether or not Assad is responsible for the chemical weapons attack, the dictatorial Assad should still be outed.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

This morning's headlines (Monday, Sept. 2, 2013) through more light on the subject matter. This is from Fox News, which is really doing a good job of staying in the middle of this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... to-win-us/

We definitely need the approval of China and Russia before we take any action. And if our "ruler" want to go out on his own, then it's his own political career he is throwing under the bus.

I thought John Kerry made some very interesting points yesterday as he made his swing though the major news programs.

Here is hoping that this gets resolved without any US involvement, but that is all in the hands of the president at this time.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

dvdjunkie wrote:This morning's headlines (Monday, Sept. 2, 2013) through more light on the subject matter. This is from Fox News, which is really doing a good job of staying in the middle of this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... to-win-us/
I'm hoping you read more than that article from Fox News to get both sides of the story on this as you tell me to do, which I do.

I think what happened is horrible in Syria, but as Obama said about Iraq, we can't fix Iraq.

However I do like he's getting congressional approval and honoring the constitution. Right now I'm not going to jump to conclusions that he'll do it without congressional approval as many skeptics didn't predict Obama would seek this approval in the first place due to people automatically assuming he doesn't listen to the constitution.

You know the old saying, when someone assumes they make an butt out of you and me and a lot of people are doing that more today than ever.

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

President Obama wins John Boehner’s support for Syrian military strike
The House Speaker offered his approval for a ‘limited’ attack as the President said he was confident Congress would approve military intervention in the country’s bloody civil war.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1444420
President Obama won the backing of his chief Republican nemesis Monday to launch a “limited” attack on Syria.

House Speaker John Boehner, who has opposed Obama for most of his presidency, said Syrian President Bashar Assad crossed the line when he allegedly launched a chemical gas attack on his own people.

“This is something that the United States as a country needs to do,” Boehner said after a White House meeting with Obama and other congressional leaders.

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I just don't understand why we have to do anything at this time. Syria is a country into itself and whatever problems they are having have nothing to do with the US. We are gonna stick our nose in to their problems and it will backfire 10 fold.

I really hope Congress and the United Nations get our "ruler's" attention before he does something very serious and involves the US in another reason for American soldiers to die.

We don't need another war, and we don't need Syria as any type of ally in our military doings. Russia and China are both standing back and not backing the US on this, which is another reason for Barry to look, listen and obey the rules of the Constitution. Something that he is not very good at.

I feel sorry for the people in Syria, but their problems are not ours, and we should just stay out of the way.

I don't understand what it will prove if just give them "a shot across the bow"! Without a full military strike and backup, they will just continue doing what they are doing.

Just my thoughts on this whole thing.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

dvdjunkie wrote:I really hope Congress and the United Nations get our "ruler's" attention before he does something very serious and involves the US in another reason for American soldiers to die..
It appears a good majority of Congress is agreeing with Obama on this, including John Boehner which to be honest I never thought I'd here him utter that he agrees with Obama given how many times he's said he disagrees for the sport of it. John McCain is also behind this and a great deal of republicans. The only ones who are saying wait or the United Nations.

So it's not exactly Obama trying to deceive congress if John Boehner who NEVER agrees with Obama is for once saying he supports our President.

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Will not get into any arguments with what you have said, Michael. But, just for the record, John Boehner is a big pussy. He has no backbone to speak of, and he only does what he thinks Obozo wants him to do, even if he is a Republican and sitting 'ruler' is a Liberal Democrat. I put no faith in anything John Boehner says and will still abide by my feelings about this, and most of the American people, We DON"T NEED another Iraq war.

The Middle East has their problems, and we should just stay out of it. If Syria was an American connection like Panama, then I might think a little differently.

This morning's headlines on BBC America says that Obozo is going to Russia ahead of the G20 conference to try and persuade Putin that this is the right thing to do. I doubt if he will have any luck because Russia has already come out strongly that they don't want any involvement in Syria and that the US had better watch its back if we do go ahead with this Military action.

China is also standing firm on their belief that Syria doesn't concern anyone but themselves, and all they are looking for is some extra money to bolster their weaponry, and they will get that if the US takes this "shot across the bow" missile attack. They will wave the white flag and we will give them whatever they want monetarily.

Just think about where that money will come from.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm actually with you on this. I don't think we need to go over there either. I'm very wary about this turning into an another Iraq despite what's been assured that there will be "no boots on the ground"I also think it's sad for those people, but the USA can't fix the world's problems when we have so many to deal with right now in out own country.

Also I found this article while searching on Google. It's some history on the Assad Family.

Who are the Assads? Inside the family that has ruled Syria for decades
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... ain=usnews

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Senate committee authorizes limited military response in Syria
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... syria?lite

Ugh. I've said the images of those people suffering are horrid, but it's not affecting us directly. We have other issues that need to happen before throwing a few bombs at Syria. And I'm not sure how that will be the end of it unless we try to overthrow Assad which that's a slippery slope also.

For once junkie, you and I's political views aren't as far apart as they usually are.

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

This morning's headlines on BBC America have accused President Barry of using the Syria action to turn America's heads around from the Benghazi fiasco so he doesn't have to answer for that "night of terror" that cost an Ambassador's life and three other Americans, which he still hasn't answered any questions tossed at him.

Barry is in Russia ahead of the G30 Summit (whatever that is) trying to put some pressure on Putin about his opposite stand on Syria.

The United States is not being affected by what is going on in Syria. Their problems are not our problems, and we shouldn't be sticking our noses in where we are not wanted.

And heaven only knows what will happen if the Syrians expect us to put 'boots on the ground' and help them overthrow Assad. I am just thinking that we need to stay out of the way of this whole mess, and when asked, just condemn them for what they did to their own people.

At this time I really am siding with what Vladimir Putin is saying. Stay out of the Middle East and let them fight their own battles.

Another interesting thing the BBC America brought up is the lack of support from the American people in this whole mess. When asked if they support Barry's ideas of just 'a shot across the bow' with a missile attack, the American people have voiced their opinions and it is really a lop-sided result: 68% say NO while just 30% say YES, and their is still the undecided followers.

I wish that our "ruler" would pursue the events that happened in Benghazi, and all the other things that have happened over the past few years as much as he is pursuing this action in Syria. One thing he has to remember is that America never forgets.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Feathers are getting ruffled. BBC America and Fox News are reporting that Vladimir Putin has threatened to send a "shield" to Syria if our 'ruler' decides to make this attack with or without any allied support. Here's the Fox News report, which is almost identical to the BBC America news show I listened to about two hours ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... 20-summit/

In my opinion, we have not business interfering in the Middle East problems. None of them affect our lifestyle in the US, and none of them are a threat to any of the other Middle East countries that we don't support also. Israel is saying that they will attack Syria before they can muster an attack, if the US decides to put a "missile across the bow".