Star Wars OOT On Blu-ray soon!?!?!

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Star Wars OOT On Blu-ray soon!?!?!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

From The Digital Bits on Facebook!:

"Something else discussed among industry friends at the Con this year: the likelihood of original unaltered Star Wars trilogy finally being released on disc in high quality now that Disney is driving the Falcon. Concensus is it's quite likely leading up to new films."

Please be true (and the Fox releases it)! Afterwards bring on the Prequel Trilogy!
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Re: Star Wars OOT On Blu-ray soon!?!?!

Post by rexcrk »

http://blogimages.thescore.com/nhl/file ... -money.jpg

But, really, they've got my money. I don't care if there are NO special features or anything. Give me the damn movies on some sort of high-quality disc (I don't even care if it's Blu-ray, as long as it's a nice-looking DVD). I WILL buy these :lol:
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Look, I'm all for the original unaltered trilogy coming to Blu-ray, just to get the purists to shut the hell up. However, I'll be sticking with my complete saga set.

Say what you want about me because I don't care. No matter what way you look at it, it's still Star Wars, even if it is relentlessly "butchered" with all the CG and alterations. :P
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

DisneyJedi wrote:Look, I'm all for the original unaltered trilogy coming to Blu-ray, just to get the purists to shut the hell up.
This is quite ironic coming from you as hand drawn purist expecting other purists to 'shut the hell up'...

I happily embrace my purism when it comes to the unaltered original trilogy. I don't want to live in this world:

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

PatrickvD wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:Look, I'm all for the original unaltered trilogy coming to Blu-ray, just to get the purists to shut the hell up.
This is quite ironic coming from you as hand drawn purist expecting other purists to 'shut the hell up'...
Hey. At least I don't accuse fans of "supporting" Disney or George Lucas in tarnishing what they made. True story: Some jerk on YouTube accused me of such a thing when I said I got the complete saga on Blu-ray. :glare:

But that's not important. I still stand by my decision to stick with my Complete Saga.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I'm not as big a Star Wars fan as I am of Star Trek, so I never rushed out to get the original Blu-Ray set, especially as virtually nothing from past releases were included. But I'll buy this one if it includes the original, unaltered theatrical versions of all six films, seamless-branching with whatever new editions exist (frankly, I stopped keeping track after 2004), all the extras from the LaserDisc, DVD, and Blu-Ray releases throughout the years, and a variety of television specials/documentaries that were never included on any of those sets:

*The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) & the excised portion of 2004's "Empire of Dreams" documentary that actually discussed it
*Star Wars: Music by John Williams (1980)
*From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (1985)
*Star Wars: The Magic & the Mystery (1997)
*R2-D2: Beneath the Dome (1999)
*The Mythology of Star Wars (2000)
*Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed (2007)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I don't think we're going to get the original trilogy on Blu-ray.

Lucas has repeatedly said they don't exist any more. And, given the state of the DVD releases, I'm inclined to believe him (no matter how crazy and irresponsible it seems). I mean, despite not having any love for Lucas, I don't think the man would be spiteful enough to release such shoddy DVDs of such highly requested films just to anger his fans.

I think lines may be crossed - we're more likely to see 3D releases. With all-new bonus supplements of course (just to entice those without 3D equipment or those who don't give a damn about 3D a reason for stumping up more cash).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:Lucas has repeatedly said they don't exist any more. And, given the state of the DVD releases, I'm inclined to believe him (no matter how crazy and irresponsible it seems).
That's a depressing theory :lol:

But I wouldn't put it past him actually. Very sad.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I doubt we will be seeing the rest of the saga on the big screen in 3D anytime soon. Because didn't Phantom Menace 3D make mediocre numbers at the box office?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

it didn't do well. No. But I understand most if not all of the work was done on the other two prequels. So they're more or less "in the can".

Perhaps we'll get 1-3 in 3D, 4-6 in OT.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Escapay wrote:I'm not as big a Star Wars fan as I am of Star Trek, so I never rushed out to get the original Blu-Ray set, especially as virtually nothing from past releases were included. But I'll buy this one if it includes the original, unaltered theatrical versions of all six films, seamless-branching with whatever new editions exist (frankly, I stopped keeping track after 2004), all the extras from the LaserDisc, DVD, and Blu-Ray releases throughout the years, and a variety of television specials/documentaries that were never included on any of those sets:

*The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) & the excised portion of 2004's "Empire of Dreams" documentary that actually discussed it
*Star Wars: Music by John Williams (1980)
*From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (1985)
*Star Wars: The Magic & the Mystery (1997)
*R2-D2: Beneath the Dome (1999)
*The Mythology of Star Wars (2000)
*Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed (2007)

Albert
Now that would be a box set worthy of my cash.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I think George Lucas would rather let Darth Vader force choke him to death than make the Holiday Special available for viewing. He said himself that if he could track down any copy (legal or illegal), he'd smash them all into nothingness. Or something like that. :|
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Yes, if the original prints of the original trilogy is gone, then I'm pretty sure the Holiday Special is gone as well. And not by accident.

I was smashed with a hammer.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

PatrickvD wrote:Yes, if the original prints of the original trilogy is gone, then I'm pretty sure the Holiday Special is gone as well. And not by accident.

I was smashed with a hammer.
I'm
Like this?

EDIT

I was lucky enough to get the 2 disc version of the original Trilogy where on disc 2 has the unaltered Star Wars as a bonus feature. I plan on holding onto that for quite some time

The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy is being re-released on Blu Ray on October 8th. I doubt the unaltered versions will be on this, as if it was, I think everyone and their grandmother would know by now

Original Trilogy
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Epis ... =star+wars

Prequel Trilogy
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Epis ... =star+wars
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:

I happily embrace my purism when it comes to the unaltered original trilogy. I don't want to live in this world:

That's probably the worst example for your case. In the sense that obi wan mentioned, that was the age at which Anakin Skywalker died.
moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 »

Born in 1980, I grew up with the OT on VHS...and I liked the special editions, except for that stupid musical number in Jabba's Palace. The current Blu-Ray releases are great, though I'd have preferred a more consistent look with the new Emperor hologram in "Empire" (I know it was filmed during "Sith" production, but still)...

I am glad they finally cleaned up most of the lightsaber effects from the 2004 DVDs, but there's still a few shots that suck (most notably in the carbon-freeze chamber during "Empire", and Luke's training on the Falcon in "A New Hope").

I honestly don't know who should get the bulk of the blame for these errors, but I'm also not one of these Lucas-bashers who claim he raped their childhoods. Get a life, y'all...seriously.

Some fans have taken to restructuring things a bit on YouTube, and one of my favorite examples comes from a guy named Adywan. Here's his Emperor hologram effort; I think it matches much better with "Jedi". Enjoy! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0q0CF5Y1cI[/youtube]
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Come on Disney, soon in 2020 you and Fox can join forces together to make a boxset of the unscrewed with cuts on BD
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Disney/Fox/Lucasfilm should do the SW OT on blu-ray together

Post by HarryCanyon »

I was thinking we should all write letters to Disney, Fox and Lucasfilm to have them join together for 2016 for a boxset of the original trilogy and one with episode 7.

For the past 13 years George Lucas has been torturing, butchering, mutilating, vandalizing, etc. the original trilogy to no end on DVD and blu-ray, i mean i own the untouched original theatrical cuts on 1995 widescreen VHS and laserdisc plus the 1997 Special Edition on laserdisc and not to mention a bonus disc from the 2004 boxset. In 2004 and 2011 Lucas made some more editing and more shitty unwelcomed stuff like changing the ghost of Anakin at Jedi's end, adding "Noooo" to Vader, Han still not shooting first, Ewoks that blink, Jabba the Hutt's door in Jedi altered etc. and Lucas is too damned lazy to release and restore the original cuts. I boycotted the 2011 blu-rays like everyone else until Lucas hears our demands especially when i refuse to buy the boxset so i won't give Lucas anymore money but i did had my mom buy me the blu-ray boxset for Christmas in 2011 then after Christmas i watched the set to see what other crappy changes he made but i'm glad he sold his company as he is hands away and retired as he is away from his company so he won't do anymore damage to the old movies anymore, i mean if it worked for when Disney bought Pixar that Lassester became in charge of Disney's animation as he put the sequels to a stop then it worked for Disney buying Lucasfilm as Lucas is hands off at last with someone new in charge as it has put an end to Lucas's non-stop special edition nonsense.

Last August when there was another boxset of the OT on BD i wondered "Might these be the original, unedited, uncut and unmolested versions?" then no still the same piss-poor versions from 2011. I swear Lucas has became a cinematic troll but i am happy when i heard it was being sold and that he had to retire i was like "Oh thank science, he's gone oh happy happy joy joy".

Let's all write letters to Disney, Fox and Lucasfilm to join together for a boxset of the original trilogy with the new movie included and have the companies do a deal together, i mean it worked for MGM/Warner/Fox for Mad Max trilogy on BD, Chucky collection with MGM/Fox/Universal, Lionsgate-Warner for the Nolan Collection BD, Lionsgate-Universal-Warner for the Tarantino Collection on BD etc. and have them go into the Lucasfilm vaults to get the original negatives of the untampered original theatrical cuts then do a 42k Scan with clean up on the negatives and do some proper restorations to make them look fresh and great on BD and HD. The 3 companies can make millions of dollars and would be on their best sellers list as we all have been waiting for the original un-vandalized original cuts to hit DVD and blu-ray for a long time.

Disney is no stranger to film preservation like say Snow White or Bambi or Pinocchio or Beauty and The Beast or Lion King or Tron etc. as all have amazing HD restorations and look amazing, Disney-Fox-Lucasfilm can do the same to the untouched SW trilogy
Thoix

Re: Disney/Fox/Lucasfilm should do the SW OT on blu-ray toge

Post by Thoix »

They'll get around to it eventually. Well, I don't see Fox doing anything so we will have to eait until Fox loses the rights in 2020. As for now, I am happy with my blu-ray box set. Also, a very small minority of people voted to boycotte the set, so don't go around making exaggerations such as "Everyone boycotted the 2011 box set". In reality, the vast majority of fans don't care about the changes enough to not warrent a purchase. I actually think there are more positive changes than negative, and the complaints are blown way out of proportion. As cool as it would be to own the original versions of the trilogy on blu-ray, there isn't exactly enough demand to warrent a full release. I can see a limited release like with the 2006 DVDs, but in no way a full release.

So let us see what Diseny plans to do. I'd love a box set of all versions available.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney/Fox/Lucasfilm should do the SW OT on blu-ray toge

Post by Escapay »

Discussion of the Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray can be found here:

www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31027

This thread will be merged.
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?