Marx Brothers DVDs

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Marx Brothers DVDs

Post by Sulley »

I am a HUMONGOUS Marx Bros. fan and I am trying to collect all 13 of their films on DVD. I've seen them all one way or another, and find them hilarious. I understand that the first five films were Paramount films, though the video rights are owned by Universal. The rest were MGM films with video rights owned by Warner Brothers, except for their last, Love Happy, which was released and is owned by Republic. Now the first five films were released on DVD (now long OOP and just as tough to find for a good price as Disney's Limited Issues, if not more). I had the first five on VHS, and then, at my fortune, TCM had a marathon of all 13 pictures, where I recorded The Big Store, Go West, At The Circus, Room Service, and A Day At The Races on one VHS tape. Not believing these films would see the glory of DVD until at least a decade, I decided to complete the collection on VHS (including the ones I recorded). I had a good start because I owned the 5 Paramount Pictures and A Night At The Opera. I received At The Circus, Room Service, and Love Happy as Christmas gifts, and almost continued until I went on a trip out of town. Unlike my city, they had one of my favorite stores, Suncoast. The employees informed me that the OOP Universal DVDs were of no better video quality than VHS. They also said that they weren't sure of which films, but that Marx Brothers movies would be released on DVD this summer. Needless to say, I stopped collecting the VHS (which I believe are all in print except for A Day At The Races) and expected there to have been an official announcement by now. To anyone who knows anything, I would extremely appreciate the info.

P.S. I loved the two subtle homages to the Marx Brothers made by Dory (Ellen Degeneres) in Finding Nemo. :D
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?