Pete's Dragon (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Pete's Dragon is my favorite live-action Disney movie and I think it would be cool if they remade it-- if they did it right. I think Amy Grant would be the perfect Nora in a remake, I'm a fan of her's anyways. What do you guys think?

-Aaron
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

I enjoy the movie the way it is and if they did a remake I think that they would mess it up.
Ernest Rister
Limited Issue

Post by Ernest Rister »

There are many pros and cons to re-making Pete's Dragon. On one hand, modern technology could do wonders -- on the other hand, you lose Jim Dale, Red Buttons, Mickey Rooney and Shelley Winters, all of whom chewed up the scenery with glee.

My favorite scene in that movie comes when Jim Dale, Red Buttons, and Mickey Rooney are sitting at a table in a bar discussing the dragon. Rooney is drunk and has slammed into the table, causing Dale to scatter coins everywhere. One of the coins has landed on Rooney's hat, and as Rooney is speaking, the coin falls off. You can see Jim Dale struggling not to laugh, and the camera keeps going. Rooney and Buttons compete with each other, trying to "out-drunk" the other, while Jim Dale earns his salary by not busting out laughing. Later, at the end of the scene - and I'm certain of this - Jim Dale improvises a line of dialogue inferring that his character is going off to see a prostitute. He is asked to go to the cave to see the dragon, and he blows Rooney off thusly:

DOC TERMINUS
I cannot make it right now. I have an appointment with a young lady who's...interested in a nursing career. (exits)

I'm certain Jim Dale improvised that line, because of the over-the-top hamming of Rooney and Buttons. I laugh my head off watching it.

Best scene in the movie.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Interesting... I'll take another look at that.

I'm not really one of the anti-remake crowd, so long as they do it well. It might do to wait another decade before remaking this one, but I think Amy Grant would be perfect for the part and she'll be old then (not that this is gonna happen anyways).

Escape To Witch Mountain was remade and I thought they did a good job of that (albeit made for tv). The original still takes precedence but it was nice to see it done with newer technology as well.

-Aaron
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I've enjoyed the past couple of remakes. However, I am a huge Pete's Dragon fan and I feel it could never be as good as the original. The cast of the original is so wonderfull, and you know they would try to change the design of Elliot. He'd probably be a CG character and family films never have a believeable CG character. (Doby from "Harry Potter" and Scoobie Doo in the new movie are great examples of this) Mr. Eisner, please don't ruin this classic!
englishboy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by englishboy »

I believe a Pete's II is presently in pre-production, with a good chunk of the original cast.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

How can that be? Everyone is so much older. This is Ludicris! If that's true, I'm ashamed to be a Disney fan. That's taking things a bit too far. And what would the story be? I'm mad just thinking about it.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

goofystitch wrote:How can that be? Everyone is so much older. This is Ludicris! If that's true, I'm ashamed to be a Disney fan. That's taking things a bit too far. And what would the story be? I'm mad just thinking about it.
Enhance your calm! I don't think this sequel will be produced, lol.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

If They Remade Petes Dragon

Post by Disney Guru »

:pink:

I Don't Think They Should Remake Petes Dragon. Because With Every Movie THat Disney Has Remade They Have Ruined It. So I Think That They Should Just Stick With It The Way It Is.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

With most of the surviving cast members being between 60 and 80 years old and seemingly retired, its highly doubtful that they will be reunited for a sequel.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

englishboy wrote:I believe a Pete's II is presently in pre-production, with a good chunk of the original cast.
Where'd you hear that at? Do you think it's legit?

(Also, my Pete's Dragon remake was just speculation, they aren't actually remaking it to my knowledge. Sorry if I confused anyone).

-Aaron
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Petes Dragon II

Post by Disney Guru »

:pink:

I Don't Know WHere You Found ABout Petes Dragon II But I THink That Is A Rumor Going Around.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

There was talk of a sequel to Pete's Dragon being filmed with a "grown up" Pete, but I'm not sure the whole of the cast would be included.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~jjs142/petesdragon2.htm
http://www.expage.com/diznie
http://www.poprocksandcoke.com/?x=6
(Er. Don't click on that last one if you don't like the sequels. It will only upset you.)

Information is all over the internet, but precise details are hard to pin-down, meaning this is probably never going to happen.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
englishboy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by englishboy »

some of the disney studio people have been talking about it at Animationnation for a while. It is with the grown up Pete (Sean, er, forgot his last name.). From what I understand they have a script and are somewhere in preproduction. They also have comittments from a number of the original cast. Like Pete's Dragon, twenty years later.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

After directing one of the most talked-about films at Sundance Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, David Lowery has hired on with writing partner Toby Halbrooks to script Pete’s Dragon for Disney and producer Jim Whitaker. I’m told they will reinvent the core story of a venerable Disney family film. It will not be a musical and at this point Lowery is just engaged as writer.
Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/after-g ... or-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney to Remake Pete's Dragon

Post by SWillie! »

Huuuuuuuhhhhhh. That's interesting. I wonder if WDAS would be involved. I doubt it, but I think it'd be cool if they did the animation.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Good thing Zemeckis's mo-cap studio closed down, otherwise you know this would have been one of their projects.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

No, Disney. Why remake a classic? :x :down:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hmm.... How do I put this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eO3XmuVry4[/youtube]

Good lord, as if today couldn't piss me off any further. :x

Edit: Got the vid expressing my feelings embedded properly.
Last edited by DisneyJedi on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

NO, JUST NO

There is no way that a remake could be anywhere better than the 1977 classic.