Disney Buys Lucasfilm

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

tweeb² wrote:Even though I think George Lucas has great imagination, I always saw him as a better business man than artist, the thing that solidified my position was the documentary about ILM. In that documentary was pretty clear for me that Episodes I, II, III, where made to show off new technology for the new milleniun that they could sell to film directors and film companies in the first place.

Also it was a great way to afford the risk of developing all the new technology, remember that he made the risky choice to switch to all digital back when it was quite expensive, but he knew that the merchandise sales would compensate everything, even before the movies hit theatres worldwide.
I said this, because, George had to learn that in the hard way, when everyone bashed the precuels, and the first one, was ok, kinda like avatar, simple story, but amazing world behind it, and amazing special effects technology, I think he is a visual guy, had he been born in the silent movie era, he could've been great, but things are the way they are and now he is too old to continue fighting everyone, I always had sympathy for him and hoped that he could do a great movie, so everyone stopped saying he was just a lucky man and all, anyway is not like he has something to worry now, lol!
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Since I can't merge threads at this time, I'm going to lock this one. Sorry, Iceflash, but the other thread has more posts.

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30216
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

The Good News

*The OTRs of the original trilogy can now be released since they're no longer subject to George Lucas' approval.
*More Star Wars / Indiana Jones in the parks

The Bad News

*Everything else.

Interesting Facts

*Since 2004, the Disney empire has purchased The Muppets, Pixar, Marvel and now Star Wars / Indiana Jones.
*Lucas was given 4 billion in Disney stock, the same amount Steve Jobs was given for Pixar.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

jpanimation wrote:Since 2004, the Disney empire has purchased Pixar, Muppets, Marvel and now Star Wars / Indiana Jones.
Since 2004, Disney has also acquired Playdom, Club Penguin, Avalanche Software, Junction Point Studios, Tapulous, and UTV.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Holy shit, I just saw that this deal includes ILM too...WTF Disney???
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Let's take bets over what Disney will buy next. I'm predicting Nintendo, IKEA and the state of Massachusetts.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

THR's geek-in-residence on why Kathleen Kennedy's hand on the next set of adventures could turn the series away from the Dark Side.

New Star Wars Movie: 3 Reasons for Fans to Celebrate (Analysis)
Relax, Star Wars fans. Everything is going to be just fine. The news that Disney is buying Lucasfilm and, apparently, getting started on Star Wars Episodes VII, VII and IX should not send you into a catatonic stupor. In fact, it’s probably good news and here are three reasons why.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ons-384548
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

estefan wrote:Let's take bets over what Disney will buy next. I'm predicting Nintendo, IKEA and the state of Massachusetts.
Ssh! Don't give them any ideas!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

People are prejudiced against Disney, they think the company only makes movies about talking animals and singing princesses (and I love those movies!). In fact they make a lot of movies, diverse movies and also dark movies. As we all know on this site. And since Disney bought Marvel the Marvel universe have flourished on the big screen and we can thank Disney for The Avengers. I have high hopes for the future of Star Wars, perhaps this gigantic universe can be revitalized and perhaps Lucasfilm now can make a longterm strategy for what stories they want to tell and in what medium they want to tell them:)
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

PixarFan2006 wrote: What other companies or things can Disney acquire?
Walmart! It's all about merchandising channels now...

Disney will buy the presidency, the world's supply of oxygen, the earth, outer space, time... :roll:

...and reyquila will continue buying everything Disney!! :lol: :wink:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Barbossa wrote:
PixarFan2006 wrote: What other companies or things can Disney acquire?
Walmart! It's all about merchandising channels now...

Disney will buy the presidency
Ugh, imagine all the presidency sequels. Yuck.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Too late, the American political system has been purchased a long time ago.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:One good thing I think that could come out of this is unaltered original trilogy on Blu ray.
jpanimation wrote:The OTRs of the original trilogy can now be released since they're no longer subject to George Lucas' approval.
Bad news.
Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars in perpetuity in all media worldwide. As for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, non-theatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... -up-384541
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

2020?? That's a long ways off.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

estefan wrote:Let's take bets over what Disney will buy next. I'm predicting Nintendo, IKEA and the state of Massachusetts.
^^Nintendo, Build-a-Bear, Dreamworks Animation, annnnd Nickeloden.

All in honesty though, I really hope that Disney will somehow buy the Don Bluth movies because EVERYONE thinks they're Disney and the DB movies, as good as some are, are ripoffs for Disney. If they do this, it's safe to say that Anastasia is Disney. :P Besides, put the new Disney movie logo before any DB movies and you can't tell the difference. (My dad and I were actually joking about this the other day).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Besides, put the new Disney movie logo before any DB movies and you can't tell the difference. (My dad and I were actually joking about this the other day).
You joke about that, but that actually kind of happened.

During a test screening of Thumbelina, Warner Brothers put the Disney logo in front of the movie to see if the audience would respond more positively to the film. What happened was the Thumbelina screening with the Disney logo scored much hired than the screening that had the WB logo.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

My reaction?

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

reyquila is out there hitting every retail outlet to find every released edition of Howard the Duck. :wink:
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Sotiris wrote: Bad news.
Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars in perpetuity in all media worldwide. As for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, non-theatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... -up-384541
I know FOX has the distribution rights but Lucas (former sole owner of Lucas Film) OWNED the movies. It's been said a thousand times that it was Lucas himself blocking the releases of original trilogy each time FOX approached him about releasing them. Now that Disney owns all of Lucas Film, they get to approve what can and can't be released.

Kind of like Indiana Jones, now that Disney owns Lucas Film, they get to determine what Paramount can and can't release.
Prince Edward wrote:People are prejudiced against Disney, they think the company only makes movies about talking animals and singing princesses (and I love those movies!). In fact they make a lot of movies, diverse movies and also dark movies. As we all know on this site. And since Disney bought Marvel the Marvel universe have flourished on the big screen and we can thank Disney for The Avengers. I have high hopes for the future of Star Wars, perhaps this gigantic universe can be revitalized and perhaps Lucasfilm now can make a longterm strategy for what stories they want to tell and in what medium they want to tell them:)
Disney does tend to let film makers do as they please. Sin City, The Muppets and The Avengers turned out pretty good, despite fans worrying. In all honesty, some of the worst Star Wars stuff has come from Lucas himself.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Okay so, does Lucasfilm own any of the rights to the Land Before Time? How will that work?