All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Bah, DC is better of with Warner.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Gah, discussion is 4 pages in by the time I get here.

Anyway ...

Shocked.

Stunned.

Flabbergasted.

I'm starting to care less and less about the Walt Disney Compnay and more about Walt Disney Animation Studios. That, to me is the real Walt Disney Company, even if it's now a mere fraction of the media conglomerate. That's a piece I can hold on to, as the rest becomes more abstract and lacking in identity.

Now if only WDAS could become an independent studio (a la DreamWorks) and sever all ties with the parent company. That would be heaven, but it's never gonna happen.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Why would it be heaven, Jules?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Why would it be heaven, Jules?
I think Jules was trying to say is that would be a great idea. But I'm afraid it's going to happen.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DancingCrab wrote:Image
This is funny, but so not true!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

PatrickvD wrote:
milojthatch wrote:Disney is getting too big. This is not good. Lucas haters, wake up and see the bigger picture. This isn't about "Star Wars," this is about a super media monopoly being formed and getting stronger. When you then keep in mind that it's Disney, the guys who have a hand in copyright laws being changed to suite their needs, this is getting scary.
It's not getting scary. Disney only has a few successful films per year. Their market share is not that big. If you take The Avengers out of the picture their market share is actually shockingly small.

I wouldn't worry about them getting too big. Because they're not.
Disney owns more then movies. Ever watch ESPN or ABC? How about A&E Network, The Biography Channel, Crime & Investigation Network,
History, H2, History en Español, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, Military History or ABC Family? Surly you've watch Disney Channel or Disney XD?

This purchase was for a lot more then "Star Wars" or even "Indiana Jones" (which seems to have been forgotten), Disney now own THE biggest and best SFX house in the industry, as well as an entirely new production company. Of course we can't forget about their theme parks, with just one of them makes more money then most other theme park companies entire family of theme parks.

So yes, this is starting to get a bit scary.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I never knew they owned A&E Network, The Biography Channel, Crime & Investigation Network,
History, H2, History en Español, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women or Military History. :?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

milojthatch wrote:So yes, this is starting to get a bit scary.
Everybody keeps saying this kind of thing. Can you say why? I'm not like calling you out or something, or claiming you're wrong... but I just don't really understand it. What exactly is scary about a company becoming bigger and bigger?
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Bah, DC is better of with Warner.
It was just a joke
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney may buy more divisions but it doesn't mean they'll keep them. Miramax, Saban Entertainment and the Anaheim Angles (along with the Ducks, but that was home grown) are now no longer owned by the company. If divisions fail to meet expectations, or don't "fit" with the current direction, Disney will drop them.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Disney may buy more divisions but it doesn't mean they'll keep them. Miramax, Saban Entertainment and the Anaheim Angles (along with the Ducks, but that was home grown) are now no longer owned by the company. If divisions fail to meet expectations, or don't "fit" with the current direction, Disney will drop them.
Like Imagemovers (Digital).
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Why The Disney/Lucasfilm Merger Hurts Artists and Creativity
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commen ... 72594.html

Veteran animation artist Mark Mayerson has some of the most consistently enlightening perspectives on the business of animation, and his commentary on the Disney buyout of Lucasfilm is a must-read.

First, Mark explains why this purchase hurts animation artists in the Bay Area: If you happen to be somebody working in computer animation in the San Francisco Bay Area, there is now one less employer in the market. Pixar and ILM have been charged with collusion, cooperating to make sure that they didn’t hire employees from each other. Now they’re the same company and they can do what they like with hiring policies and pay scales.

If you’re unaware of the collusion charges, read, "ILM Pixar Collusion Court Documents," on http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2010/12 ... documents/.

Second, Mark explains how Disney CEO Robert Iger is shortchanging the company’s future by focusing too much on rehashes of tired properties insteading of creating original work: Robert Iger is clearly looking backwards more than forwards. But don’t forget that the Muppets started out as a small troop of puppeteers on local television, Marvel started out as a handful of creators working out of their homes, and George Lucas got turned down by everyone until Alan Ladd, Jr. took a chance (but didn’t realize the value of sequel or merchandising rights or he would have kept them). What Robert Iger doesn’t see is that great creations don’t come from large companies, they come from people committed to their own ideas who work out of basements, garages, warehouses and other out of the way places. Sort of the way Walt Disney started. Remember him? Which means that while Iger is busy grinding out Muppets, Marvels and Star Wars, the great creations of the 21st century will be happening elsewhere.
Mickey Mouse says to Darth Vader: Vader, I...am your owner!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Apparently the deal also includes Indiana Jones, but they have no plans to make a new movie at this time.

As far as Star Wars. Episode VII, VIII, and IX apparently have been in the works for awhile. Lucas had a meeting with Hamill, and Fisher in August (according to an interview with Mark Hamill... I linked it below). He was clueless on the Disney deal until it was announced, but Lucas mentioned the new Trilogy to them at the meeting. He said Lucas told them not to say anything. Hamill also remarked that he was still nervous mentioning it.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/m ... ii-disney/

Based on that, I have a feeling Hamill could be part of Episode VII (maybe Fisher as well). I could see it work if he returned as a older Jedi and "passed the torch" over to the next generation.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Had to post this. Found it on Tumblr, it's so funny/cute!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I just want to know when Attack of the Clones 3D comes out in the new year... can we get DMR points for our ticket stubs now? :lol:
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

SWillie! wrote:
milojthatch wrote:So yes, this is starting to get a bit scary.
Everybody keeps saying this kind of thing. Can you say why? I'm not like calling you out or something, or claiming you're wrong... but I just don't really understand it. What exactly is scary about a company becoming bigger and bigger?
There is such a thing as too big.

Disney has had to sell off items that they did not need before (Marimax, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Angels), but soon, they are going to own so many franchises, they are not going to know what to do anymore. It's going to lead to all kinds of internal chaos.

Also, I am certain that Disney is on the border of becoming a monopoly.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

stop it will you guys. I am sick of the complaing everywhere I turn. So what if Disney bought Lucasfilm. Doesn't bother me.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Semaj wrote:There is such a thing as too big.

Disney has had to sell off items that they did not need before (Marimax, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Angels), but soon, they are going to own so many franchises, they are not going to know what to do anymore. It's going to lead to all kinds of internal chaos.

Also, I am certain that Disney is on the border of becoming a monopoly.
I'll give you the issue of internal chaos. That could be a real problem, with the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

But they aren't anywhere NEAR a monopoly. There are a good number of movie studios still out there, that are just as much of a force in the movie industry as Disney is. Paramount, Universal, and Fox are in no further danger of Disney - they are simply big competition. Disney is nowhere near the possibility of eliminating that competition.

The closest they are to a monopoly is on theme parks, and that is still a ways off from a true monopoly.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

What's next The Harry Potter series ?

Watch out JK hide your stuff from the Mouse ! :lol: