Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Sotiris »

Here's some great fan animation of Hades, Kerchak, and Dr. Doppler by animator Madalin Truica.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyoEG7Qorcy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjx9ZrtqKyQ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CI5X2OWjDG8/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That Hades animation is *chef's kiss*. I would have believed it came straight out of the original movie. Kerchak's is pretty great too.

I've seen some good-looking 2D animation featuring several male Disney characters, but in compromising actions and on an unsavory site that I obviously can't link to here. I was perplexed at how good parts of it looked and I'm not quite sure how it was accomplished, was it reused animation or vector animation -- I wasn't going to join the artist's Patreon to find out.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Mooky wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:51 pm I've seen some good-looking 2D animation featuring several male Disney characters, but in compromising actions and on an unsavory site that I obviously can't link to here. I was perplexed at how good parts of it looked and I'm not quite sure how it was accomplished, was it reused animation or vector animation -- I wasn't going to join the artist's Patreon to find out.
Dude...I think I know what you're talking about :huh:

It's that one Tiktok meme with Milo and Tarzan, right Mooky?
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Correct. There are actually several videos done by the same person: Tarzan/Milo, Aladdin/Hercules, Kristoff/Flynn, and one with Tadashi solo, all of them 2D.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Came across this interesting video from someone who used to work at Disney:
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSNySH6PW/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:10 am Came across this interesting video from someone who used to work at Disney:
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSNySH6PW/
Yeah, sorry, I think I'm gonna have to ignore it and doubt it, because his claims of paper hand-drawn animation never coming back to Disney might be a lie if the Disney+ Tiana series is hand-drawn with paper, and maybe using the Toon Boom System, too.

And I don't believe him when he says Wish will look unfinished/unrendered on the big screen because that animator had to go out of his way to say on Twitter that the YouTube compression does not suit the look that Wish is going for.

So, sorry, gonna have to pass on this, especially after seeing Once Upon A Studio put all those claims of paper hand-drawn animation never coming back at Disney in the gutter.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I don't see any reason to discredit/ignore what he's saying, do I wish and hope he's wrong, of course. But its rare to get people from the inside talk about Disney in a candid way. One hand drawn disney plus series and a 6-minute short isn't enough to make any claims of it coming back in a real way any time soon the only reasonable take away.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I think his whole tik tok was messy. More like heโ€™s looking for clicks. Heโ€™s probably not wrong at all but everything he said is stuff people on the outside of the industry had already established as well.

Itโ€™s giving a bit of a disgruntled former employee vibe to me as well.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:07 pm I think his whole tik tok was messy. More like heโ€™s looking for clicks. Heโ€™s probably not wrong at all but everything he said is stuff people on the outside of the industry had already established as well.

Itโ€™s giving a bit of a disgruntled former employee vibe to me as well.
Yep. I agree.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Kyle wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:03 pm I don't see any reason to discredit/ignore what he's saying, do I wish and hope he's wrong, of course. But its rare to get people from the inside talk about Disney in a candid way. One hand drawn disney plus series and a 6-minute short isn't enough to make any claims of it coming back in a real way any time soon the only reasonable take away.
Unless they're so successful enough at awards (OUAS at the Oscars) and in ratings (Tiana on Disney+) that it brings it back in a real way.

Also, OUAS is a 9-minute short, not 6.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Dave Koz Drops โ€˜When You Wish Upon A Starโ€™ Music Video
https://www.awn.com/news/dave-koz-drops ... usic-video
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

The short "the brave locomotive" Just dropped and the Animation is gorgeous! Its so smooth and you can really feel how 3dimensional all the characters are! Peak 2d Animation right there! :milkbuds: :drool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mScKWj3kQ
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Super enjoyable short! It looked great, was a nice story!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There's a 2D sequence in Trolls 3.

โ€˜Trolls Band Togetherโ€™ Gets Psychedelic
https://www.indiewire.com/features/anim ... 234926790/

โ€˜Trolls Band Togetherโ€™ Director Walt Dohrn Says He Couldnโ€™t Get Enough of Its โ€˜Trippyโ€™ 2D Detour
https://www.thewrap.com/trolls-band-tog ... interview/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I saw Trolls: Band Together on Thursday, and there were 2 (similar) hand-drawn animated segments. Very...if psychedelic isn't the word, I don't know what is.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney will keep "exploring". :roll:
In an exclusive interview with The Directโ€™s Russ Milheim, Wish co-director Chris Buck commented on whether Disney Animation would ever consider dabbling in 2D animation again. The filmmaker exclaimed that the studio would โ€œabsolutelyโ€ look into including 2D animation in their future movies, noting how the character of Star in Wish was actually 2D in early tests: โ€œI think, absolutely. This film was inspired, obviously, by the legacy and the 2D animation. And the look has a somewhat 2D look with the lines on the characters. We did early tests with Star as 2D. But yeah, I think we keep exploring.โ€

Speaking on the unique style of Wish, Buck spoke about how the movie was the product of an ever-evolving style: โ€œThe nice thing is, we started with some shorts, you got 'Paperman' and 'Feast' and 'Far From the Tree' that sort of explored the look that we adapted, and we kept evolving. We had never done it in full feature before. So that was going to be a challenge. I would say absolutely. You just don't know what the next thing is going to be.โ€
Source: https://thedirect.com/article/disney-2d ... -exclusive
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Maybe they will if Once Upon A Studio wins Best Animated Short and if Tiana does well on Disney+.

But like Lee said it has to be the right project.

And to me, I think the right project has to be a Mickey Mouse movie, maybe The Search for Mickey Mouse.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:29 pmDisney will keep "exploring". :roll:
Itโ€™s hilarious to me that Disney is spending all this money on technology that would be able to emulate the look and feel of hand drawn animation when they could just, you know โ€ฆ produce actual hand drawn animation.

Itโ€™s not rocket science.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

At least Disney IS producing actual hand-drawn animation with that upcoming Disney+ Tiana series. Might not be much, but a long-form series is a start.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

D23ExpoVisitor25, I admire your optimism, but I feel you need to distinguish between facts and hearsay. You consistently clutch at the flimsiest of straws on most threads here to support what are arguably your hopes and wishes, rather than what has been corroborated by reputable sources.

Don't get me wrong - it's fine to be hopeful. But make sure hope it doesn't make you irrational. :)

By the way, I trust you did not go through with your plan to help market Wish by dressing up as the Star character and greeting people on the street. Unless Disney are paying you for it, don't go marketing their movie. They can damn well do that themselves! Remember they don't give you their Blu-rays for free. You pay for them, right? :wink:

Forgive me for asking, but how old are you? I get a feeling you may be among our younger members, which may be why you still have stars in your eyes when it comes to the Walt Disney Co.

Have fun watching movies! But try to remain objective. 8)