The Tinker Bell Film Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Tinker Bell Film Series

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's possible. Ferrera has other opportunities, but she's not burning it up so much that she would pass over an easy voicework paycheck. And Chenoweth does so many things (including a great deal for Disney) that I don't know why she wouldn't have returned.

And I can't help but laugh at the last post I made in this thread before this sexual harassment scandal with Lasseter came out. :lol: That's why it didn't shock me as much as some.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like Disney has fully abandoned the Disney Fairies/Tinker Bell brand. The website for Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media no longer lists Tinker Bell as one of their franchises.

Before

Now
Source: https://dcpi.disney.com/press-kits/#franchises
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Gee, I wonder why it "suddenly" switched to CGI.
Fun fact: Disney fairies was originally going to be 2d animated and (my) Sydney studio was priming for the gig. Then it was decided to switch to CG in India and the last remaining 2d studio outside Burbank got its closure notice.
https://twitter.com/amymebberson/status ... 5256545280
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

To be fair, the transition to CG at DisneyToon happened long before Lasseter came on board. However, he could have easily turned it back into a 2D project when he scrapped the almost-completed previous version and started from scratch (wasting millions of dollars in the process). In terms of storytelling, the original iteration of the movie was much more compelling and epic then the one Lasseter gave us. His Tinker Bell was quite bland and dull in comparison to the initial concept.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

It depends if they could give the hand-drawn animation the quality it deserves.

Anyway, what was the original concept? It would be interesting to know what kind of changes were done.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:It looks like Disney has fully abandoned the Disney Fairies/Tinker Bell brand. The website for Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media no longer lists Tinker Bell as one of their franchises.
Not surprising at all, since the series ended a couple of years ago.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

She still has her own magazine here in the UK...so part of her is still alive somewhere :(

Feel like Disney have really dropped her at the moment; she used to properly serve as the company mascot, but now not so much it feels ? That role has been taken over with endless IP it feels :roll:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I have noticed that the character herself seems to have less merchandise now than she used to. Maybe Disney equated the "failure" of the Disney Fairies franchise with Tinker Bell simply not being popular anymore.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Sotiris wrote:The website for Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media no longer lists Tinker Bell as one of their franchises.

I wonder what will happen to Cars now when there are so many changes at Disney.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Anyway, what was the original concept? It would be interesting to know what kind of changes were done.
This is from an old post by Sotiris, the articles quoted from/linked to within it for this portion of the post no longer exist:
Tinker Bell was supposed to be initially a hand-drawn animated movie and animators had worked up several developmental reels. However in 2005, then-WFDA head David Stainton and Morrill decided that cel animation was dead and that Tinker Bell would become a CGI flick. This was over the objections of senior animators, who didn't think the film and character would look as good in CGI.

Sharon Morrill's concept: Peter Pan, Tinker Bell and the other Lost Boys had to return the gift of joy and imagination, to save the fairies from extinction and to keep children everywhere from becoming dull automatons. In a widely disseminated announcement, Morrill hired actress Brittany Murphy to be the voice of Tinker Bell in this, and subsequent, movies.

“Neverland disappeared, Peter and the Lost Boys were enslaved in the boiler room of a real-world barge, and children all over London lost joy and imagination," claimed one insider. Of course everyone and everything is restored in the end—this is Disney, after all.”

“If anything, it’s way too complex for younger kids,” said someone else who saw the film. “They had books of rules for everything: rules for Neverland, rules for the Fairies, rules for the kids, rules for London. The whole thing was so complex, they [the animators] couldn't keep track of it. I don't know how they expected kids to. I won't even begin to get into the fairy fart jokes or the strong lesbian tones of the original story.”

Lasseter had told Sharon Morrill that he didn't want Peter Pan, the other Lost Boys or London in Tinker Bell, saying that it would invite unfortunate comparisons to the 1953 classic Peter Pan. He also disliked the story, saying, "Fairies don't bring imagination."

Lasseter even hated the trilogy's concept: Tinker Bell's best friend discovers that boy fairies live in another part of Neverland. That sets the stage for a Romeo and Juliet story, where two lovers are caught in a war between the boy and girl fairies. The first movie ends with the Romeo fairy sacrificing himself to save his love, and the Juliet fairy going with Tinker Bell to see a performance by an all-girl fairy group informally called "The Pixie Chicks." In the second and third movies, Tinker Bell discovers that the Romeo fairy isn't actually dead, and the trilogy ends happily ever after.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Gosh .... that doesn't sound too promising at all !

Was that the film that made it into original trailers ? Remember seeing loads of scenes in initial trailers that weren't part of the released movie, and he design also changed quite a bit as well, at least facially.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

rotfl rotfl rotfl
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Romeo and Juliet-type trilogy was an idea for potential movies after the first Tinker Bell film and hadn't progressed beyond some initial storyboarding. That's not what I was referring to. I was talking about Tinker Bell and the Ring of Belief which was almost completed (including voice recording and animation) before Lasseter scrapped it. Watch this story reel to get a better idea of what the movie would have been like.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

You were right. That was great, but wow that ending :o It was cool that they did the voiceover before the animation. It was cool to hear Brittany Murphy as Tinker Bel
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A complete box set of the Disney Fairies movies will be released in France on October 17, 2018.

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Disney Parks have a new Tinker Bell doll. The packaging features clip-art of her film series incarnation. It's the only new Disney Fairies product out there.

The last of The Never Girls book series titled Finding Tinker Bell: The Last Journey will be released on January 14, 2020.

Two graphic novels based on The Never Girls titled Mystery at Mermaid Lagoon and The Art of Friendship will be released January 17, 2023 and May 02, 2023 respectively.

The Disney Fairies films will be available on Disney+ on launch.

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I wonder if Disney will be monitoring streaming numbers for their films / shows on Disney+ ? So if there is a mass viewership of say these films, I wonder if it would inspire them to pick the series back up again .. . . . or that could be vast wishful thinking from me :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With DisneyToon Studios shut down, I'd say it's near impossible. What studio would even produce them? I doubt WDAS, Pixar or Blue Sky would be willing to pick up a film series they didn't originate. There's a higher chance of a live-action film based on the Disney Fairies brand happening than an animated continuation. A TV series produced by DTVA would also be more plausible.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I just hope whatever they do they don't get rid of her friends(Vidia, Fawn, Rosetta, etc) from the films. I hope they don't decide to create a whole new batch of fairy friends, Im too attached to the originals and it'd be sad to see those characters and all their development go to waste. :cry:
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I can HAPPILY say as of yestoday i own ALL the Tinkerbell movies on dvd :D :D