How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

monks19 wrote:Marce82, can you tell us where to find that torrent ? I'm sure some people would be interested to know.
cinderella torrent laserdisc - google it

although it has no seeders ATM
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well, mine is from a European site. And it started downloading today, so there is someone seeding it...

Before I tell you guys how to get it, I will download it and see if it is what we all want it to be. Then I;ll post instructions :)
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

a screenshot from the new diamond edition restoration....

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha I love the Fairy Godmother's expression!
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Re: How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrong

Post by Marky_198 »

Disney Duster wrote:

And people laughed when me and Marky said Disney's restorations were more like them using MS Paint to paint over the films!
Thank you so much for this post, Disney Duster!

I agree with you 100%.

That above pic is just beautiful, look at all the details and differences in shades and colors, like the colors of the sleeves are different from the puffy dress part, etc. Also, the lines in her top and the lines in the skirt. It's those details that make the classics look so realistic and it's the reason I loved these films. That's what separated the Disney Classics from the other cartoons out there.

In the new one, everything is gone. All the subtleties, all the details, all the lines and all the color nuances.

It would be such a shame if this is the way the film goes down in history, because I think the new generation gets a very different opinion on these films as they are presented this way. Much cheaper and generic.
monks19

Post by monks19 »

Hi, does anybody here have the original laserdisc so we can compare the images with the dvd & Blu-Ray ? I think that will be interesting to see.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Marky! And I agree with what you said, I worry about how the new generations will think of Disney films and Cinderella better not go down like this!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ooooh I forgot to post this picture. It's a full HD (apparently, from Disney Screenaps again), but cropped picture of Cinderella in mid-transformation to show you all how it looks close up. On the entire thing it looks like not all the detail of the image is there, but look especially at Cinderella's hands and thumb, especially her right hand and thumb (her right, not you're right!). Doesn't it look like they cropped off some of the detail, for whatever reason, in their "restoring"?

jade
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jade »

This really bothers me!I want to see these movies as they were seen years ago, which as little touching up as possible. Removing defects is fine, but doing a major restoration is just bad imo.

How has Snow White been handled since making it's way to dvd? Is it faithful?

Also i have abit of an odd question. Where the VHS tapes restored or anything? All the Classics and Masterpiece tapes had nothing done to the films right?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know much about Snow White, but I do know Cinderella's Masterpiece VHS was restored. I think Sleeping Beauty's was, too. But then they restored the films over again for DVD, and Sleeping Beauty might have even been restored again for Blu-ray. So I'm guessing other VHS's were restored, too.

Oh by the way, I recently talked to Floyd Norman. He said Sleeping Beauty's last restoration, the one for Blu-ray, made the film look almost exactly as it should (he was an animator on the film). Except for the one thing I know they did where they changed some animation in one scene, it sounds like that restoration is good.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Disney Duster wrote:Ooooh I forgot to post this picture. It's a full HD (apparently, from Disney Screenaps again), but cropped picture of Cinderella in mid-transformation to show you all how it looks close up. On the entire thing it looks like not all the detail of the image is there, but look especially at Cinderella's hands and thumb, especially her right hand and thumb (her right, not you're right!). Doesn't it look like they cropped off some of the detail, for whatever reason, in their "restoring"?

That does in no way look full HD to me... How could it be? The Diamond Edition is not out yet. I am confident (please, I don't want to jinx this) that the transfer we get for the new edition will be better than this.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The person at Disney Screencaps said they somehow were able to get a full HD version of the movie, I think from one time it aired on TV, so that screencap is supposed to be full HD (except for me cropping it of course). I hope so much that you are right and it will look better on Blu-ray.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

There's no way, this is HD. Aside from the damage done in the restoration process, it looks worse than a 240p youtube video!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

well it is zoomed so it's naturally gonna look blurrier than a full shot, but I agree. This is standard def at best.
JDCB1986
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JDCB1986 »

When you take a screen cap from an HD television broadcast (possibly presented with 720 resolution) and then crop it and mess around with it using who knows what file formatting, you lose A TON of information.

This screen cap could have lost detail at several points in it's journey from HDTV to this forum.

If the screen cap was taken using a lossy format it could have immediately lost detail.
If it was resized for posting on the original site it could have lost detail.
When you transferred it into whatever program you used to crop it, it could have lost detail.
When you cropped it, it lost detail.

This is in no way representative of what the picture will look like on Blu-ray.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Re: How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrong

Post by Marky_198 »

Marky_198 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:

And people laughed when me and Marky said Disney's restorations were more like them using MS Paint to paint over the films!
With all this talk about "detail" and "perfect and complete image", I wonder what all those people that used to laugh at us think now.

Is that second picture really what they want in hd on their tv at home?

I think in the end there are only a very few people with a good eye for detail.

Let's compare these screenshots again when the new version comes out.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

So, after all this talk, do you guys think we'll be seeing the 2005 restoration on the upcoming Blu-ray, or a shiny, new, supposedly "better than the original" transformation?

While I think Disney will reuse the now 7-year old 2005 restoration, they have been known to heed complaints from fans, and are definitely aware that Cindy's last home video release was criticised (in the video department).
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Jules wrote:So, after all this talk, do you guys think we'll be seeing the 2005 restoration on the upcoming Blu-ray, or a shiny, new, supposedly "better than the original" transformation?

While I think Disney will reuse the now 7-year old 2005 restoration, they have been known to heed complaints from fans, and are definitely aware that Cindy's last home video release was criticised (in the video department).
I think (and hope) that the new transfer will be based on same as the PE but without the heavily altered animation and colors... The scan is probably good, it's the post editing that's the problem...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hope you guys are right.

And yea Marky!

By the way I finally go to talk to Floyd Norman, animator on Sleeping Beauty and other films, about this. He said he saw the mistakes, but there's only so much he or anyone can do to get through to Disney. He told me there were some forums that Disney pays attention to, like Laughing Place and Jim Hill Media, so after the Blu-ray comes out, and if it still has these mistakes, I might go around those places showing everyone how Cinderella's restoration was botched and needs to be done right.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

From the clips Disney has uploaded on YouTube (720p - same 2005 transfer)

Actually the whole scene is terrible restoration-wise.

ImageImageImage