Move over Disneyland, here comes DreamWorks Land!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Move over Disneyland, here comes DreamWorks Land!

Post by Sotiris »

The Hollywood studio DreamWorks Animation has struck a deal to bring Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and other animated movie characters to a planned amusement park as part of a revived entertainment and retail mall in the New Jersey Meadowlands.

It would be the first theme park based on the studio’s animated movies since DreamWorks’s earlier plans for parks in China, Abu Dhabi and Dubai failed to work out. DreamWorks has sought to capitalize on the huge popularity of its films, much as Disney and Universal Studios have in the United States, Europe and Asia. The indoor theme park would include rides, attractions and a glass-enclosed wave pool incorporating characters from the studio’s movies.

The partnership between the developer, Triple Five, and DreamWorks is a rare bit of good news for a site that has sat vacant and unfinished since May 2009, when the previous developers ran out of money after spending $1.9 billion on a five-story complex just west of Manhattan, near MetLife Stadium, called Xanadu.

In a statement Tuesday evening, Jeffrey Katzenberg, chief executive of DreamWorks Animation, confirmed the deal, saying the theme park would involve the studio’s “characters, storytelling and technology in a unique and innovative family entertainment experience.”

Triple Five, the developer of the Mall of America, has renamed the project American Dream and drawn up plans to make it even bigger, with nearly 1.7 million square feet of retail space, an indoor ski hill, indoor sky diving, bowling, an aquarium, a live theater and the 14.7-acre amusement park.

But the project continues to be dogged by delays. In announcing a tentative agreement between the current owners and Triple Five in May 2011, Gov. Chris Christie said he expected the developer to strike a deal with the owners and get financing for the project by the end of 2011 so that American Dream could be open for the 2014 Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium. But executives working with Triple Five now say that $1.75 billion in financing will not be completed until October and that the complex will not open until September 2014, seven months after the Super Bowl.

Triple Five, which is owned by the Ghermezian family, has built two of the world’s largest and most successful entertainment malls. But the company faces special challenges in the Meadowlands, the least of which are the local blue laws that prohibit retail activity on Sundays.

Many retailers say they are reluctant to get involved with the project because of its troubled history. “There were enough false starts that retailers want to see some substance,” said Ron DeLuca, a partner at R. J. Brunelli & Company, which represents a roster of retailers who had signed leases at Xanadu. “Until American Dream becomes a reality,” he said, “it is difficult to get retailers to make hard commitments.”

The Jets and Giants, which both use MetLife Stadium, filed a lawsuit last month seeking to block construction of the project, saying it threatens to “clog the complex’s already congested transportation networks” on game days, when 80,000 fans converge on the stadium.

The State Transportation Department approved the project, however, and Triple Five moved on Tuesday to dismiss the suit.

The deal with DreamWorks provides the project with some Hollywood cachet and underscores Triple Five’s emphasis on entertainment.

Entertainment conglomerates like DreamWorks say they view theme parks as a way to expand revenues for an industry buffeted by piracy, flagging DVD sales and a drop in network television viewers.

The theme park industry is slow growing in North America, said John Robinett, senior vice president of economics for the Themed Entertainment Association, although the recent creation of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios in Florida and a $1 billion makeover tied to “Cars” characters at Disney’s California Adventure park in Los Angeles have raised attendance substantially.

Triple Five is hoping DreamWorks can do the same in the Meadowlands, where it says it hopes to attract 55 million visitors annually. But that may be easier in Minnesota or West Edmonton, Canada, where Triple Five already operates.

“Not only does northern New Jersey not lack for shopping malls; there are a lot of destination attractions,” said David L. Malmouth, a developer in San Diego and a former Disney executive. “Manhattan is a pretty compelling theme park in its own right.”
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/nyreg ... .html?_r=1
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I dont think we really need to worry. Especially if it's a fun place.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7aopJKQ1PtU" frameborder="0"></iframe>
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

I don't think it could be a bad park.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Well, it's going to be nearly double the size of Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America but somehow I still think it's going to be more of a fair with a Dreamworks theme then a full-stop theme park like many anticipate. The Shrek and Madagascar themed areas at Universal Singapore take up a HUGE amount of space, especially the Madagascar darkride. That said, if what they build is anything like what they have at Universal, then I may just have to make a trip down there.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

As long as its not too too expensive, I'd try it out. It's not too far away for me.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think it could work ?

But it will suffer from the constant connections / comparing to Disneyland....especially where Shrek is involved.

I think it will be fun, but not as an epic/emotional/happy experience as Disneyland. Or the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for that matter.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:But it will suffer from the constant connections / comparing to Disneyland....
Naturally...

since it is a blatant rip-off of Disneyland:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PPnwAeYbMEg" frameborder="0"></iframe>

EDIT:
It seems TheValentineBros has actually brought up 1 good point. I should clarify that the video above is NOT the entire 24-minute 2-part review by The Nostalgia Chick. It's an edit containing only the parts about DreamWorks in relation to ripping off Disney (I know, I clipped it myself)... which makes it completely relavant to the point I'm making in this reply.
Last edited by Lazario on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Lazario wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:But it will suffer from the constant connections / comparing to Disneyland....
Naturally...

since it is a blatant rip-off of Disneyland:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PPnwAeYbMEg" frameborder="0"></iframe>
*facepalm* Sick and tired of people posting TGWTG videos, unless it's The Cinema Snob and whatnot.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

TheValentineBros wrote:*facepalm* Sick and tired of people posting TGWTG videos, unless it's The Cinema Snob and whatnot.
It's my post, I'll put whatever I want in it.

EDIT:
It seems TheValentineBros has actually brought up 1 good point. I should clarify that the video above is NOT the entire 24-minute 2-part review by The Nostalgia Chick. It's an edit containing only the parts about DreamWorks in relation to ripping off Disney (I know, I clipped it myself)... which makes it completely relevant to the point I'm making in this reply.

And it's only 4:45 + credits. Seriously, cry about that.

Oh, and... The Cinema Snob can't touch Diamanda Hagan in his wettest dreams:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lvnn64SAKNE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2I2EgML7kI
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Lazario wrote:
TheValentineBros wrote:*facepalm* Sick and tired of people posting TGWTG videos, unless it's The Cinema Snob and whatnot.
It's my post, I'll put whatever I want in it.

EDIT:
It seems TheValentineBros has actually brought up 1 good point. I should clarify that the video above is NOT the entire 24-minute 2-part review by The Nostalgia Chick. It's an edit containing only the parts about DreamWorks in relation to ripping off Disney (I know, I clipped it myself)... which makes it completely relevant to the point I'm making in this reply.
Sorry if I was trying to make "TGWTG posts" a taboo thing. I'll let you post. Though yes, I do have a good point.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I stayed on-topic the whole time. I merely borrowed Lindsay's points about DreamWorks being formed on the basis of hate for Disney. She put it all perfectly.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It feels like this may come off as tacky possibly ?

Apart from Shrek, they don't really have any iconic characters to be honest.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

As a Minnesotan, I'm a bit miffed that someone is trying to outdo the Mall of America. How dare they?! The MOA is all we've got out here in the Midwest.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:It feels like this may come off as tacky possibly ?

Apart from Shrek, they don't really have any iconic characters to be honest.
a fact that was already implied in the thread about DW buying classic cartoons.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Move over Disneyland, here comes DreamWorks Land!

Post by Sotiris »

DreamWorks Animation Land to Open at Universal Orlando in 2024
https://www.thewrap.com/dreamworks-anim ... ando-2024/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage