Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2022

Post by Farerb »

Pinocchio won both the Golden Globes and the Critics' Choice Awards and other awards, I think at this point it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll win the Academy Awards.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:40 pm Pinocchio won both the Golden Globes and the Critics' Choice Awards and other awards, I think at this point it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll win the Academy Awards.
Mmm, I don't think so. Remember, the Academy hates Netflix to the point that they won't give their movies any wins for Best Animated Feature or Best Picture, they're not like the other awards.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's productions nominated at this year's Annie Awards:

• Turning Red - 7 noms. (including Best Feature)
• Baymax! ('Sofia') - 3
• Lightyear - 2
• Strange World - 2
• Amphibia - 2
• The Owl House - 1
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:45 am Disney's productions nominated at this year's Annie Awards:

• Turning Red - 7 noms. (including Best Feature)
• Baymax! ('Sofia') - 3
• Lightyear - 2
• Strange World - 2
• Amphibia - 2
• The Owl House - 1
Thanks for the breakdown! Turning Red did really well, as did Baymax!. The episode titled Sofia is the one about menstruation. I guess that's why it got all these nominations, but I think it's deserved.

Turning Red was the third most nominated film overall:
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (Netflix) – 9 nominations
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (A24) – 8
Turning Red (Disney/Pixar) – 7
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Universal/DreamWorks) – 6
The Sea Beast (Netflix) – 6
The Bad Guys (Universal/DreamWorks) – 5
Source: https://www.animationmagazine.net/2023/ ... announced/

These are the films nominated in the Best Feature and Best Indie Feature categories:
Best Feature
Turning Red
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Wendell & Wild

Best Indie Feature
Charlotte
Inu-Oh
Little Nicholas, Happy As Can Be
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
My Father's Dragon
Source: https://annieawards.org/nominations

The VES (Visual Effects Society) awards nominations have also been announced. These are the nominees for Best Visual Effects in an Animated Feature:
Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Mad God
Strange World
The Bad Guys
The Sea Beast
Turning Red
Source: https://deadline.com/2023/01/ves-awards ... 235224158/

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio is also the first animated film ever to be nominated for a USC Scripter Award, which is a prestigious award for best adapted screenplay given by the University of Southern California.

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:04 pm
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:40 pm Pinocchio won both the Golden Globes and the Critics' Choice Awards and other awards, I think at this point it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll win the Academy Awards.
Mmm, I don't think so. Remember, the Academy hates Netflix to the point that they won't give their movies any wins for Best Animated Feature or Best Picture, they're not like the other awards.
It's true no Netflix film has won the award yet, but Pinocchio is more of a frontrunner than Klaus or The Mitchells vs. the Machines were. None of them got both the Golden Globe and the Critics' Choice awards like Pinocchio has. In fact, they weren't even nominated at the Globes. Pinocchio has already made history there becoming the first film from a streaming service to win in the category. We'll see, I still think it's possible another film gets the Oscar, but Pinocchio seems the most likely winner right now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Not to mention that the Academy's love for Del Toro might bypass their bias against Netflix.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That's a good point too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

BAFTA nominations:
Animated film
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Turning Red
Source: https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2023-nominations

Pinocchio has also been nominated for original score and production design. I think it's probably the first time an animated film is nominated for the latter.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:28 pm Not to mention that the Academy's love for Del Toro might bypass their bias against Netflix.
I don't know, man. The Academy has to make a choice if their love of Del Toro is really worth putting animation on the big screen at risk, even for Pixar, or if they want to stand with cinemas.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

A streaming title did win Best Picture last year, and Netflix films have won plenty of awards before, so I don't see anti-streaming biases being a deterrent from Pinocchio winning.

But if they do, then I don't see why Turning Red would win, instead when it didn't even get a theatrical run.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Avaitor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:54 pm A streaming title did win Best Picture last year, and Netflix films have won plenty of awards before, so I don't see anti-streaming biases being a deterrent from Pinocchio winning.

But if they do, then I don't see why Turning Red would win, instead when it didn't even get a theatrical run.
It got a theatrical release in a handful of AMC theatres.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Avaitor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:54 pm A streaming title did win Best Picture last year, and Netflix films have won plenty of awards before, so I don't see anti-streaming biases being a deterrent from Pinocchio winning.

Those are two very good points. I forgot for a moment a streaming movie already won the Oscar for Best Picture last year. It's true; we can no longer say the Academy has a bias against non-theatrical movies. I guess they could still have a bias against Netflix in particular, but that doesn't make much sense to me anymore. And you're right, if they didn't want to give the award to a streaming title, they wouldn't pick Turning Red either.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:42 pm It got a theatrical release in a handful of AMC theatres.
That's true, all the possible nominees got at least a limited theatrical run; otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete for the award.

Personally, I would be fine with either Pinocchio, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Turning Red or Puss in Boots winning. I think any of them would be a worthy enough winner.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I was going to say that they have the Best Picture award to a streaming movie and it was controversial not because it was a streaming movie, but because the movie looked like it came from Hallmark as if it had a TV production.

Anyway, Pinocchio also had limited times at theaters otherwise it wouldn't have been eligible.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Farerb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:48 pm I was going to say that they have the Best Picture award to a streaming movie and it was controversial not because it was a streaming movie, but because the movie looked like it came from Hallmark as if it had a TV production.
Yeah, CODA was... not good in my opinion. :oops: It wasn't among my favorite nominees last year, but clearly it struck a chord with voters. And to play devil's advocate, you could maybe argue that it wasn't initially a streaming film, since it was made and shown at Sundance before Apple picked it up, but it's still associated with them. And I don't think it will be the last streaming-oriented release to win Best Picture, maybe not even this year or even from Netflix. All Quiet on the Western Front is looking like a strong contender already.

I still haven't seen Puss in Boots or Marcel the Snail with Shoes On (I'm kind of on the fence about both- I haven't touched the Shrek franchise since the second film, and I struggled with Jenny Slate's voice for Marcel in the shorts), but I do like Turning Red and Pinocchio at a near-equal level and wouldn't mind either one winning. My appreciation for stop-motion has me lean towards the latter, though.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Puss in Boots 2 kicked every movie's ass that I saw last year. I hope it wins but I wouldn't be mad if Pinocchio won. I just liked Puss more.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

^ I just saw Puss in Boots yesterday and I'm now rooting for it, too. I didn't know that I needed an animated remake of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with fairy tale characters in my life, but I'm glad I have it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Pinocchio, Marcel the Shell, Puss in Boots and Turning Red look like Oscar nomination locks, but I'm curious what film will get the fifth slot. I guess it'll probably be Wendell & Wild or Inu-Oh, but The Sea Beast, My Father's Dragon, The Bad Guys or even Apollo 10 1/2 could still have a chance, in my opinion. We'll soon find out.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha Avaitor, I have never seen Good, Bad, and the Ugly, but I'm glad you liked Puss as much as I did, too!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations are out. It's very disappointing no 2D-animated feature made the cut. My Father's Dragon, Inu-Oh or Little Nicholas would have been great choices in a weak year for domestic animation.
Best Animated Feature

Pinocchio
The Sea Beast
Turning Red

Best Animated Short

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Just a reminder that Treasure Planet managed to get nominated.

Anyway, Strange World is the first Disney movie that isn't nominated since Frozen II, and both of them since Winnie the Pooh.

Lightyear is the first Pixar movie that isn't nominated since Cars 3.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Yeah, it's not a good year for Disney in the category.

I'm glad The Sea Beast was nominated. I preferred it to Wendell & Wild and some of the other possible contenders for that fifth slot. I haven't seen Inu-Oh, for example, though, so I don't know if that one deserved it more.

By the way, finally Pinocchio only got one nomination, right? It wasn't nominated for best score or song, like it was at the Golden Globes.