Plot holes in Disney movies

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

BelleGirl wrote:I don't regard this so much as a plot hole, but indeed it doesn't seem to make so much sense. Maybe the crowd became so mean against Quasimodo because he did not wear a mask or made an ugly face like the other candidates, but really had an ugly face. Or there were simply a few really bad apples among the crowd at the time who started to get rotten and were followed by others. Actually, it does make sense to me now I think of it.
It didn't help that Frollo kept showing Quasimodo a look of pure hatred for disobeying him (even gnashing his teeth at him).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

carlossilva wrote:Hunchback of Notre Dame

How exactly does Quasimodo's crowning as King of the Fools in what is supposed to be a popular party turns into the humiliating scene we witness? that never made sense to me, especially after the former King of The Fools is apparently well received by the crowd.
It's because they discovered he wasn't wearing a mask, and he was actually deformed. It's not a plot hole.
MuMu2099

Post by MuMu2099 »

In Tangled:
When Rapunzel's hair is cut, Mother Gothel turns to dust, which we can assume is because the power of the flower has been lost so her age finally takes effect. But then Rapunzel cries and the flowers power heals flynn through her tears. So if the power was still in existence, why did Mother Gothel turn to dust?
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

MuMu2099 wrote:In Tangled:
When Rapunzel's hair is cut, Mother Gothel turns to dust, which we can assume is because the power of the flower has been lost so her age finally takes effect. But then Rapunzel cries and the flowers power heals flynn through her tears. So if the power was still in existence, why did Mother Gothel turn to dust?
If that were the case, when the flower was crushed to make the medicine for the queen, mother gothel should of died then.
MuMu2099

Post by MuMu2099 »

Absolutely. There is no explanation for Mother Gothel suddenly crumbling to dust.
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I have one possible explanation for the BatB plothole. Perhaps, when the narrator said, "...until his 21st year..." he actually meant his 21st year as a beast, and not until his 21st birthday. That could have also been what the writers intended, but ended up confusing the story due to poor choice of words.

As for Hunchback, the reason the former King of Fools hadn't been ridiculed is because he was merely a drunkard, whereas Quasimodo was deformed. Also keep in mind that this takes place in Medieval Europe, where superstition trumps knowledge. Of course people in that society would be more prone to acting violently against a person who was deformed.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Here's something:

In Bedknobs and Broomsticks:
Only in a Disney movie would an entire brigade of Nazis be thwarted without any of them actually suffering any harm in any way.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Re: Plot holes in Disney movies

Post by Big Disney Fan »

My apologies for bumping up this thread from so long ago, but we should give it a new lease on life. Here's something: The Rescuers.

When they arrive at the United Nations, the mice of the Rescue Aid Society start jumping out of the briefcases and satchels of various U.N. delegates. Even more amazing than the fact that no one at this top security facility seems to notice all the vermin scampering down the halls is that the mice miraculously open up the satchels and briefcases - from the insides.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I think the Batb plothole got somewhat resolved in the musical- I think they changed the narration from "to his 21 years" to "until the flower would wilt"- Lumiere also sings "for years we've been rusting!"

Just because they are fairy tale films doesn't mean we shouldn't think when we're watching these movies.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Re:

Post by thelittleursula »

carlossilva wrote:Hunchback of Notre Dame

How exactly does Quasimodo's crowning as King of the Fools in what is supposed to be a popular party turns into the humiliating scene we witness? that never made sense to me, especially after the former King of The Fools is apparently well received by the crowd.
I think it's because everybody was drunk and they lost all common sense. And also the Guard ( The one that Voiced Patrick Starr ) turns everything around by mocking him and throwing showing at him and most people being wasted and following the crowd/ jumping on the bandwagon everybody copied the Patrick Starr Guard and then quickly everything when to chaos.

When Clopin said that Quasi was cool they all agreed, when the Patrick Guard said that he was lame they all agreed.

They were nothing but Sheep.

Little Mermaid

She can write as we see her sign Ursula's contract so why doesn't she just grab a feather-pen and paper and say " Hey I'm Ariel I was the one who sang that song by the beach though sadly due to certain circumstances I've lost my voice " !

HOND

When everybody is mocking, teasing, putting ropes around Quasi's neck while laughing where did Clopin go ? He was so keen to support Quasi before, but as soon as shit hits the fan he flees the scene ? Which makes me believe that Clopin was no different from the other people before- just judging Quasi by his appearance and only supporting him so they could crown a King and end the festival. Not to mention his strange obsession with stalking Quasi and making damn sure he was on that stage in front of everybody to be judged.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I myself never thought Clopin was charming or likeable, the fact thelittleursula posted along with his Court of Miracles scene was shown to me him being a very disturbing individual. Dunno why he has so many fans. :roll:

As for the Mermaid plothole- maybe Eric/his kingdom writes in another language, while Atlantica writes in "atlantic"? Which was subtitled for us to properly understand it better to English-

Yeah I dunno I'm making it up as I go.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I myself never thought Clopin was charming or likeable, the fact thelittleursula posted along with his Court of Miracles scene was shown to me him being a very disturbing individual. Dunno why he has so many fans. :roll:
Imo Clopin was a disturbing dangerous criminal but Quasi and his friends made him think twice. So he was a secondary villian; but when he's telling the story to the children he's now a good guy.

Dangerous, misunderstood people = hot with some chicks.
thedisneyspirit wrote: As for the Mermaid plothole- maybe Eric/his kingdom writes in another language, while Atlantica writes in "atlantic"? Which was subtitled for us to properly understand it better to English-

Yeah I dunno I'm making it up as I go.
Ah true ! We only see Ariel write her name and Ariel could be written the same in Atlantic and English. Nice thinking. :wink:

And it's okay !
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Re: Re:

Post by Big Disney Fan »

thelittleursula wrote:Little Mermaid

She can write as we see her sign Ursula's contract so why doesn't she just grab a feather-pen and paper and say " Hey I'm Ariel I was the one who sang that song by the beach though sadly due to certain circumstances I've lost my voice " !
Perhaps she couldn't find anything to write with.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I'll try to explain what bothers me as best as I can.

Aladdin - Jasmine meets Aladdin, he gets arrested, Jasmine goes to speak to Jafar and finds out he has been beheaded.
Then after a 'whole new world' she realizes Prince Ali is the boy she met in the marketplace and she never asks him how the hell he got out of being beheaded? This would more than bother me if I had been told someone had been beheaded and then I spoke to them a day later with their head intact.

I have another in Aladdin in the same scene with the whole going out into the marketplace in disguise and he says it's a little strange. Jasmine flicks the feather on his hat and with a knowing smile says 'not that strange' like Aladdin didn't know it she was the girl he met in the market. Of course he did - the guards called her Princess Jasmine in front of him. Am I thinking far too much into this?

Beauty and the Beast has always bothered me with the 10 years/21st year. If it was 21 years of being a beast wouldn't he be like 32 at least? Unless as mentioned before, when cursed they don't age or age slower.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Re: Re:

Post by BelleGirl »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
thelittleursula wrote:Little Mermaid

Perhaps she couldn't find anything to write with.
Well, I can imagine you don't know where to find anything to write with in a big castle. To ask for pen and paper with gestures was probably to hard for Ariel? By the way, why didn't prince Eric come up with the idea to bring her some?
Anyway, If Ariel told Eric in writing that she lost her voice due to certain circumstances, his inevitable next question would be "how"? and "why?" and it wouldn't be certain that he believed her explanation. I think this 'plot hole' is necessary to keep a certain tension in the story.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/