Disney should make a new Bluray collection label....

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

They could also do a "Musical Adventures" line with the package films, Winnie the Pooh, Oliver and Company, A Goofy Movie, and The Aristocats and that'd almost be all of the Animated Canon (plus A Goofy Movie). :)
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I like most of these covers, especially the Atlantis one, which should be the cover when the Blu-ray release comes along. But it won't be because it's too good.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Amazing!:D

But as many already have mentioned, Disney would never make such classy covers. It's sad that fans can make better covers than Disney, despite all their artists, money and resources.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Could you upload bigger versions of each cover?: )
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I just noticed Prince John has all the rings on the <b>royal fingers</b>!!! OMG i love it haha :lol:
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

I actually like the Robin Hood one. But the red eyes are too much.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Scarred4life wrote:I actually like the Robin Hood one. But the red eyes are too much.
Ya, the Red Eyes may be my biggest beef about it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Barbossa wrote:Very nice. reyquila's buying! Ok... I'd buy too. 8) :lol:
Ohh yeah! Loved the Mulan one!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

Again, thanks everyone for their comments! Nice to know I'm not the only one wanting to see 'Atlantis' and 'Tresure Planet' on HD
milojthatch wrote:How did you make them? I'm guessing most are based on story book covers, altered to look like Blu Ray covers? "Atlantis" looks like one of the original posters.
Yep, That's how they were made, I worked with existing artwork, I was just playing around with compositions and such. The only ones I left untoched were Robin Hood and Black Cauldron. I just added a bigger Kida in the Atlantis one.
Prince Edward wrote:Could you upload bigger versions of each cover?: )
Sure, I'll upload them when I'm home ;)
zackisthewalrus wrote:They could also do a "Musical Adventures" line with the package films, Winnie the Pooh, Oliver and Company, A Goofy Movie, and The Aristocats and that'd almost be all of the Animated Canon (plus A Goofy Movie) :) :D
Agree. When I think about 'The Aristocats' all I think is about Jazz, so a collection based on Rythms would be cool. I wouldn't mix 'A Goofy Movie' with WDAF movies though, even though I love that movie!
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

zackisthewalrus wrote:They could also do a "Musical Adventures" line with the package films, Winnie the Pooh, Oliver and Company, A Goofy Movie, and The Aristocats and that'd almost be all of the Animated Canon (plus A Goofy Movie). :)
Don't you think the animated output of the Walt Disney Studios have been sorted under enough brands already? I mean, and this is a general complaint I have with Disney, is that they are experts in making the most out of only fifty titles. First, branding all of them as "Classics", then the limited window of opportunity they keep continuing on doing, even now, we had a Diamond line with VHS, Gold Editions, Platinum Editions, regular Special Editions, Magical Music Editions (or whatever they were called) with DVD, Platinum and Diamond Editions (again) with Blu-ray...
It sounds absolutely insane, and yet, they keep doing it. So it must make a profit for them, which means that many keep buying them.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

:shock: Great idea! You'd think they'd do something like this to pander to the boy audience more. The Atlantis cover is perfect. In fact, most of them are great. The only ones I don't like are Robin Hood and Treasure Planet. Just for kicks, could you make a Treasure Planet cover using the original poster? I've always loved that poster. It would fit the "Epic" label. :)

Seriously, send this idea off to Disney! It can't hurt to try!
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

Linden wrote::shock: Great idea! You'd think they'd do something like this to pander to the boy audience more. The Atlantis cover is perfect. In fact, most of them are great. The only ones I don't like are Robin Hood and Treasure Planet. Just for kicks, could you make a Treasure Planet cover using the original poster? I've always loved that poster. It would fit the "Epic" label. :)

Seriously, send this idea off to Disney! It can't hurt to try!
You're so right about the boy audience target, but that concept have been kinda tricky trough the years, their 'Disney Heroes' line pretty much flopped, even though I found it really cool. I was actually looking for more adventurous/action/male oriented artwork for this covers but in most cases I couldn't find any, I found a really cool Aladdin illustration with a sword but I thought Disney would never used something like that cause I'm sure they'll want to have Jasmine as equally important on their artwork for that movie.

I'll make an original 'Treasure Planet' poster one for you, I also like that poster very much, I'd actually LOOOOOOOVE to have teaser posters as covers for most Disney movies but we all know that's the most Un-Disney/Un-commercial thing ever :cry:
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I think Disney needs to SCRAP EVERY "LINE" and just release them, treating them as equals. Now, that doesn't mean that the bigger titles couldn't have more bonus features, but it would be nice if the titles would all look uniform. The thing is, they are completely abandoning collectors when they treat some of their films like crown jewels and others like trash. I feel like if Disney would start numbering the spines with the film number like in the UK, and would start releasing them with cover art that corresponds, or at least has a matching layout such as title on top or title on bottom, and keep the cases the same and the spines the same color, it would be both easier for THEM and for US as collectors. No film should be treated like trash. People worked just as hard on Beauty and the Beast as they did on The Black Cauldron. They're art, and only certain people will appreciate certain pieces. I think that all the films should be released without an "edition" or "line"... Just released. Or, release ALL 50 under the same LINE or EDITION. It bothers me having "Diamond Editions" "Platinum Editions" "Cheesey Pun Editions" and "Anniversary Editions" all on the same shelf without ANY uniformity whatsoever other than being on the same format and possibly having the blue banner around the outside (which isn't even blue on the TPATF or any of the new 3D blu-ray titles)... Disney needs uniformity. They are a collectors brand whether they want to admit it or not. If they weren't, the vault wouldn't exist.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

^^^^^^

This is why I miss my VHS collection. Up until Snow White and The Lion King the cases looked gloriously uniformed on my shelf.

Note: I do really like your Epic Adventure covers though PheR. Very well done.
rscshadow

Post by rscshadow »

I think that the only way that we would get any kind of 50 in a single line is if Disney teamed up with the Criterion Collection. This has been brought up before and I think it is the only way that we could get a single line of covers and the best bonus features and presentations possible. I am highly skeptical that Disney could ever pull something like this off by themselves (which is sad).

I will say that they are making small steps in the right direction as seen in the releasing of Pixar films (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Cars, The Incredibles and on the 5th of July Ratatouille and Wall-e) with similarly designed covers.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Unfortunately, Criterion is a film-racist company; They descriminate against Animation.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

ajmrowland wrote:Unfortunately, Criterion is a film-racist company; They descriminate against Animation.
Not to mention, have you seen their prices? Disney's Blu-Rays may not be the cheapest out there, but Criterion charges way too much for their titles.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

estefan wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:Unfortunately, Criterion is a film-racist company; They descriminate against Animation.
Not to mention, have you seen their prices? Disney's Blu-Rays may not be the cheapest out there, but Criterion charges way too much for their titles.
The SRP is the same for a Disney Blu-Ray+DVD Combo, a Criterion Blu-Ray, and a Criterion DVD*: $39.99

*before they started using $29.99 for the DVD price and $39.99 for the Blu-Ray price.

The prices only seem high because Criterions are almost never on sale except online or during Barnes & Noble's 50% off sales, and they're not as widely available in B&M stores the way Disney is. You won't see a Criterion on sale for $14.99 at the shelf by the supermarket check-out line.

Compared to Disney's practices of practically giving away their Blu-Rays via first-week sales, DMR coupons, etc., a Criterion would seem more extravagant than necessary. But at least with Criterion, you know you're getting high quality in everything. They are an independent studio that has to licence all the films they want to release, licence and produce the extras, and go through very meticulous restorations that involve the original filmmakers or their estate.

With Disney, a large mainstream studio that can expect high sales regardless of the quality, there's been nothing but complaints about animated film restorations that polarize the online communities, gimmicky BD-Live crap that hardly anyone uses, adequate-but-could-be-better extras made for the sake of being in HD, excluded extras (laserdisc documentaries, trailers, etc.), and a complete lack (aside from Tron) of any pre-2000 live-action catalog titles.

ETA:

I was reading Bill Hunt's column at The Digital Bits, and I absolutely loved what he had to say here, as I think it also shows why people in general think Criterion is too pricey: (bold emphasis mine)
  • But here's the thing: The willingness of the studios to release more of these classic titles on Blu-ray is all about SALES. If people don't buy these classic BD titles when they're released, the studios aren't going to spend the money to release more of them. The sad reality is, the problem with catalog titles is multi-fold: You have studios run by marketing execs SOME of whom aren't fans of these films and aren't really even regular consumers of their own product. You have the recent recession that's forced a huge contraction of the industry, leaving home video divisions with fewer resources to work with. Frankly, you have a consumer base that YES... has been sold one too many catalog re-dips but that ALSO (at least a portion of it) feels a little unrealistically "entitled" with regard to every release. (And before some of you get worked up about that statement, you have to admit that when you read some of the A/V enthusiast forums these days, you DO tend to get the feeling that when every BD title isn't Alien Anthology for $12.99 - looking absolutely blemish and grain-free like HD video - some folks feel like they're getting ripped off. Let's face it: We've all gotten a bit spoiled by the special edition riches of DVD's now-ended "Golden Age.") Finally, DVD sales are on the decline, and it was the bonanza of profits from DVD sales that funded most of the great catalog restorations of the past decade.
The Criterion FAQ wrote:15. Why do Criterion releases often cost more than other DVDs?

Our prices reflect all the resources we put into making each release a special release. Each release has a producer who finds the best supplemental features to help further the appreciation of the film, often producing original content. The technical staff ensures that we are working with the best original source materials and digital masters by performing rigorous visual and audio restoration processes.

16. How can I tell if a Criterion release is a bootleg copy?

For the reasons stated above, it costs a lot of money for us to make a good DVD/Blu-ray edition, and we know Criterion discs are not inexpensive, but we feel they are a good value. If you can buy a Criterion disc at a price you think is absurdly low, it’s probably not a legitimate disc. Also, a good thing to do is to look for our copyright and make sure that the DVD or Blu-ray disc’s audio, video, and features specs match those that appear on our website. Although this cannot definitively determine a disc’s authenticity, you can feel safer if this information is consistent.

28. Do Criterion Blu-ray discs cost more than DVDs?

Criterion’s Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.
Last edited by Escapay on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

WOW Love It! "Robin Hood" cover is kinda of creepy but the rest are good. My favorites are "Mulan" and "Atlantis".
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

The fact that Criterion is independent yet painstakingly puts in so much effort to release their licensed films disgraces Disney the biggest studio of them all.

At least they have coupons in the first week and the AV quality is close to perfect for their animated releases, either than that, their bonus features are hit and miss, they include stupid games no one bothers with and refuse to release anything live action.