Disney Dolls

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Disney Dolls

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

In general, I'm pretty happy with these. The face molds are much better than what The Disney Store has had to offer in the past. In fact, the Rapunzel mold is much better, I think, than Mattel's. And Mattel is typically my Disney-Princess-Doll-Manufacturer-of-Choice. I'm not sure if I really <i>need</i> to collect any of them, but I do sort of wish I had bought the Rapunzel one right before Christmas when she was temporarily marked down to $20.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I love how all the Princesses came back for these dolls, it makes them so much better. Esp as they all rerecorded new versions of their theme songs.

Ariel is outstanding as ever, along with Tiana and Rapunzel. Aurora was AMAZING ! I was confused as to wondering whether this was actually Mary Costa's original recording it was so much like the original. Such a change from her new voice in 'Enchanted Tales'. Anyone know who voiced Auroa ?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote: I was confused as to wondering whether this was actually Mary Costa's original recording it was so much like the original. Such a change from her new voice in 'Enchanted Tales'. Anyone know who voiced Auroa ?
I had assumed they used an original clip since she sounded so "normal". If a new voice was used, they'll have to keep using her for other Disney Princess misc.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

to me, all their faces look weird except for Rapunzel.

And the whole line is pretty much a character-rape.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

pinkrenata wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote: I was confused as to wondering whether this was actually Mary Costa's original recording it was so much like the original. Such a change from her new voice in 'Enchanted Tales'. Anyone know who voiced Auroa ?
I had assumed they used an original clip since she sounded so "normal". If a new voice was used, they'll have to keep using her for other Disney Princess misc.
It's definitely Mary Costa. When Disney was working on the Blu-ray restoration, they uncovered the individual soundtrack elements which hadn't been seen for decades. They went and restored each layer and recomposited them together. So the soundbyte of "Once Upon A Dream" isn't just Mary Costa's voice extracted from the soundtrack like you'd expect; it's basically a pure soundbooth take before it was even placed over score to begin with.

I'm not sure why the same thing wasn't done with the later princesses since the isolated vocal elements must still exist somewhere.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Disneykid wrote:It's definitely Mary Costa. When Disney was working on the Blu-ray restoration, they uncovered the individual soundtrack elements which hadn't been seen for decades. They went and restored each layer and recomposited them together. So the soundbyte of "Once Upon A Dream" isn't just Mary Costa's voice extracted from the soundtrack like you'd expect; it's basically a pure soundbooth take before it was even placed over score to begin with.

I'm not sure why the same thing wasn't done with the later princesses since the isolated vocal elements must still exist somewhere.
The voice of the Aurora doll is NOT Mary Costa. Aurora is being portrayed by Kim Huber. Disney officially announces it here:

http://dcp.smugmug.com/Media-Briefs/Dis ... 8277_yhkHC

From Disney Consumer Products Official Web Site:

Disney Store Singing Rapunzel Doll- (voice of Mandy Moore)
Disney Store Singing Belle Doll- (voice of Susan Egan)
Disney Store Singing Tiana Doll- (voice of Anika Noni Rose)
Disney Store Singing Ariel Doll- (voice of Jodi Benson)
Disney Store Singing Cinderella Doll- (voice of Susie Stevens)
Disney Store Singing Aurora Doll- (voice of Kim Huber)
Disney Store Singing Jasmine Doll- (voice of Lea Salongs)

Even if Disney has the isolated, original recordings they cannot use them due to copyrights. I know it sounds bizarre, but it's true. For example, in the theme park shows, if the whole show is soundtracked with Character voices, every voice is replaced by the new voice actor, not the original. Even if the character is saying the same line they said in the original films.

I find it very hard to believe that Kim Huber is the voice of this Aurora doll. If you hear her sing as Aurora on the Disney Princess CD's, she does not sound like this. But I'll be going by what Disney officially says. They wouldn't randomly credit her for no reason, and every other doll was recorded by their current voice actress.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

We interrupted your regularly-scheduled discussion for this breaking news:

:jawdrop:

Mike Villain lives!!!

Outside of Facebook's "The Tanned and the Restless" that is!

We now return to your regularly-scheduled discussion already in progress.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Disney Villain wrote:
The voice of the Aurora doll is NOT Mary Costa. Aurora is being portrayed by Kim Huber.
Uh, maybe she sounds better in small doses???

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

pinkrenata wrote:Uh, maybe she sounds better in small doses???
Lots of people do. :lol:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

With all due respect, in no way is that Susan Egan playing the Belle doll. No way, no how.

The list that Disney Villain provided is just copied and pasted I'll bet from somewhere. I'd swear Disney didnt check their facts.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I wish they would stop messing up Ariel's tail. Recently Disney has been trying to make the dolls look better and more like their original movie selves, but they keep making the hip fins on Ariel's tail weird, like she has frilly fabric there instead of something that actually looks like fish fins. That same material is used on her tail fin and it doesn't look good their either.

Also, they should really try to do a better job on their faces. the Walt Disney Classics Collection of sculptures shows they can 3-dimensionally sculpt faces that look just about exactly like they do in the original movies.

The fact that for some of them I still have seen dresses and hair and other accessories closer to the films on other dolls than they have really bums me out.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Where's Snow White :(
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Escapay wrote:We interrupted your regularly-scheduled discussion for this breaking news:

:jawdrop:

Mike Villain lives!!!

Outside of Facebook's "The Tanned and the Restless" that is!

We now return to your regularly-scheduled discussion already in progress.

albert
SCAPS!!!! Yes, I promise I will be slowly making my way back to the forums. I miss you guys!!! And yes, the drama of the "Tanned and the Restless" continues!
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:With all due respect, in no way is that Susan Egan playing the Belle doll. No way, no how.

The list that Disney Villain provided is just copied and pasted I'll bet from somewhere. I'd swear Disney didnt check their facts.
Sorry, but Susan Egan confirms that she is the voice of the Belle doll on her official web site:
http://www.susanegan.net/buzz.htm

So the list that Disney Consumer Products originally posted is 100% correct.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

That list is really peculiar. I'm 100% that's Mary Costa. It's not just because it sounds like her. It's because every single little inflection from the song as presented in the film is present in that clip. No singer can perform exactly the same way twice (as evidenced by some of the other dolls), let alone someone impersonating another singer. I don't have the capabilities, but I'm sure if that soundbyte was overlapped onto the film's track, the vocals would be 100% identical.

So either:

1. The soundbyte on DisneyStore.com is incorrect and the actual doll has a different vocal by Huber (Jackoleen seems to suggest the doll not only has a different voice, but a totally different song, so that may account for it.)

2. Disney made a boo-boo and released the doll with the Mary Costa vocal when they recorded one with Kim Huber (possibly giving her the Costa vocal isolated for frame of reference)

For those curious, here's the link to the soundbyte (click on "Click for Video" under the image):

http://www.disneystore.com/aurora-sleep ... 8/1000097/
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Disneykid wrote:That list is really peculiar. I'm 100% that's Mary Costa. It's not just because it sounds like her. It's because every single little inflection from the song as presented in the film is present in that clip. No singer can perform exactly the same way twice (as evidenced by some of the other dolls), let alone someone impersonating another singer. I don't have the capabilities, but I'm sure if that soundbyte was overlapped onto the film's track, the vocals would be 100% identical.

So either:

1. The soundbyte on DisneyStore.com is incorrect and the actual doll has a different vocal by Huber (Jackoleen seems to suggest the doll not only has a different voice, but a totally different song, so that may account for it.)

2. Disney made a boo-boo and released the doll with the Mary Costa vocal when they recorded one with Kim Huber (possibly giving her the Costa vocal isolated for frame of reference)

For those curious, here's the link to the soundbyte (click on "Click for Video" under the image):

http://www.disneystore.com/aurora-sleep ... 8/1000097/
I actually own the singing Princess Aurora doll, and it is EXACTLY the way it's presented in the Disney Store video. Being a huge fan of both Princess Aurora, Disney Character Voices and Mary Costa, I'm also certain that's Mary Costa. Kim Huber has never sounded like that. Not on the Disney Princess CD's, where she portrays Aurora and not in any of her other singing work. Disney Consumer Products did confirm it as Kim Huber though.

As I said, I own the singing Princess Aurora doll. She sings 'Once Upon A Dream' and she sounds just like Mary Costa. The doll has an echo, just like the Disney Store video clip. Which leads me to believe it may be the original isolated recording of Mary Costa from the 50's.

I wonder if they did record Kim Huber, because she is the official singing voice for Aurora, but didn't like her and since Mary Costa is still alive, they got her permission and used the isolated file from the original film. However, all printed material still credited Kim Huber.

You have to understand that Disney needs the permission of the original voices, if they use the same recording in anything but the original film. I'm not sure if this is true for recent films, but it is for the old ones.
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I like the Belle doll the best. I think the long hair actually looks good on her.

If I weren't so self-conscious about being a guy and wanting these dolls, I might actually try and purchase them. :roll:
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen