Disney Dolls

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney Dolls

Post by Mooky »

Right?!

If you click the linked post, it will take you to barbieinprint's profile and you'll see pics of the other prototypes. If you scroll further down their profile, the pic of Skipper Ariel will pop up. The Prince prototype is not on there though, it was a different account that posted it and now I'm combing through my likes to see who it was.

Edit: Okay, found his pic along with quite a few more:

Tiger Lily, the Chief mask and costume set, Captain Hook mask and costume set, plush Tik-Tok the crocodile, a mermaid

The Ghost Host from The Haunted Mansion, Disneyland’s Tour Guide Barbie, Robin Hood, Jungle Cruise Ken, Zorro

Centaurette and Fawn, Snow White’s Prince, Jafar mask and costume set, Mary Poppins, Jane and Michael Banks, Bert, Library Belle, Belle in a reversible pink dress/nightgown not seen in the movie, the White Rabbit and Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland

The Prince looks far too advanced to just be a simple prototype. Shame.

The Banks kids are funny — no effort to match them in size.

Skipper Ariel, Jessica Rabbit, Braided Beauty Pocahontas, Pocahontas and John Smith set

Pocahontas uses Jasmine’s face sculpt and John Smith uses the Beast/Prince’s sculpt. Both BB Pocahontas and the Pocahontas/John Smith set were eventually released but with obvious changes.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thank you for sharing!

Those parks inspired dolls are amazing! Especially the Ghost Host!

I wish that Mary Poppins set had been released. I’m crossing my fingers we get a beautiful doll from Disney or Mattel next year to celebrate the 60th anniversary! I think they probably have to pay Julie to use her likeness? So it may be unlikely. I’ve noticed nowadays they never use stills from the movie in Mary Poppins merch— it’s always the silhouette or a cartoon version of Mary. But I would kill for a beautiful reproduction of her traveling costume. There are lots of pretty takes on her Jolly Holiday dress, but little love shown to her other costumes…

I own a Tyco Ariel and she looks quite juvenile, so I can see why Mattel first went with Skipper. I’m so glad the late 90’s line is more mature looking— those are my favorite Ariel’s. Although Tyco had the license while the TV show was airing so they have quite a few interesting dolls inspired by the show (I really want the Whale of Tale doll that comes with Spot). Over the past few years, I’ve collected almost all of Mattel’s 1997 TLM doll line. I want to move onto their 1995 Pocahontas line next.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Chief and Jafar are kind of nightmare fuel! I love love Mary Poppins and Belle and Bert and The Prince!!! Super neat find for the Fantasia ones! What is with the Pocahontas gift set; not movie accurate at all! Neat to see Pocahontas with Jasmine's face though!

Ariel prototype is here so you don't have to scroll like I did:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsU-hH2tblQ/
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:07 pm Thank you for sharing!

Those parks inspired dolls are amazing! Especially the Ghost Host!

I wish that Mary Poppins set had been released. I’m crossing my fingers we get a beautiful doll from Disney or Mattel next year to celebrate the 60th anniversary! I think they probably have to pay Julie to use her likeness? So it may be unlikely. I’ve noticed nowadays they never use stills from the movie in Mary Poppins merch— it’s always the silhouette or a cartoon version of Mary. But I would kill for a beautiful reproduction of her traveling costume. There are lots of pretty takes on her Jolly Holiday dress, but little love shown to her other costumes…

I own a Tyco Ariel and she looks quite juvenile, so I can see why Mattel first went with Skipper. I’m so glad the late 90’s line is more mature looking— those are my favorite Ariel’s. Although Tyco had the license while the TV show was airing so they have quite a few interesting dolls inspired by the show (I really want the Whale of Tale doll that comes with Spot). Over the past few years, I’ve collected almost all of Mattel’s 1997 TLM doll line. I want to move onto their 1995 Pocahontas line next.
You're welcome!

You don't like Mattel's Mary Poppins doll released in the early '90s that comes with a reversible outfit (traveling + Jolly Holiday)? There are also 1999 and 2007 versions wearing the Jolly Holiday outfit, and the 2007 version appears to have been an attempt at a Julie Andrews likeness unlike the other two. Whether it succeeded or not, that's up for debate. Mattel has somewhat of a hit-and-miss record with celebrity sculpts.

I too have a Tyco Ariel and I like her face sculpt but her head feels too big for her body, so I too prefer the 1997 Mattel one. I don't think any of the more recent sculpts -- whether made by Hasbro, Disney or Mattel themselves -- compare to it. I'm obviously very biased, lol. Articulation and movie-accurate costumes of newer dolls are great, but there's just something extra special and charming about those '90s Mattel dolls. I've managed to collect most of Mattel's playline Disney dolls for almost all the movies they released them for, with an extra doll or two to be put in a separate fashion set, plus several collectors' dolls. Not a whole lot of them left to collect, so here's hoping it happens sooner rather than later. Which 1997 line Ariel dolls do you have?
blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:16 am The Chief and Jafar are kind of nightmare fuel! I love love Mary Poppins and Belle and Bert and The Prince!!! Super neat find for the Fantasia ones! What is with the Pocahontas gift set; not movie accurate at all! Neat to see Pocahontas with Jasmine's face though!
Yes, especially the Chief! I guess they didn't care to polish it up so the mask came out looking the way it did. Very Leatherface-y. I wish the Fantasia ones were released, that would have been quite a unique concept for the time. I found a few custom-made ones:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/160565042/ ... ng_details

https://www.tumblr.com/dolljunk/6409252 ... roses-i-am

https://www.setsunakou.com/customdolls/ ... 1doll.html
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

You sound like you’re living my dream re: collecting! I love poring over eBay at all the vintage Disney Mattel dolls and figures. Do you have a favorite/s? White whales?

I’ve seen that early 90s Mary Poppins doll on eBay and I’ve hesitated to buy it. The reversible element makes the costume look too bulky IMHO and it’s not a great match for the movie. You mentioned the ‘99 and ‘07 dolls and I think both of those are much better likenesses of Julie— well, I think, they sculpted her face to look more like Julie in the 80’s or 90’s… not really Mary in 1964. Eventually I’ll get around to buying those!

For ‘97 Ariel’s I have:

- Standard playline
- Swimming Ariel
- Princess Mermaid Ariel
- Prince Eric and Max
- Picnic Party with Ariel and Eric (love this set!)
- Valentine Ariel
- Tropical Splash (Ariel, Eric, Attina, Arista, and Kayla— love these too!)

I’m missing both wedding dress dolls, Ariel and the merbaby (really want that one), Sea Pearl Ariel, and the Collector’s that came out around that time, too.

It’s been fun collecting them. I’m an in box collector for now, but that may change one day.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I like to think of collecting as my only vice :lol:

Favorites? Probably the five dolls from the Signature Collection (Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, The Beast). They're gorgeous and super-detailed, Cinderella in particular! I have minor issues with how Belle's dress turned out, and I'd have rather seen Jasmine instead of the Beast as part of this collection (Jasmine's the only one that never got a proper deluxe doll in her movie outfit), but those are silly nitpicks. I keep them boxed unlike my playline dolls.

White whales would probably be either of the three Giselle dolls, they're rare and expensive. I only have Robert in his business suit, and based on the movie I think he should be paired with the Wedding Gown Giselle, but I wouldn't mind having the Ballroom giftset with both Giselle and Robert.

I love your 1997 Ariel collection! You're very committed to it! I only have the regular Ariel, Eric & Max, Princess Mermaid (my first Ariel doll ever!), and the wedding dolls set. For playline dolls, I try to limit myself only to dolls released at the time of their original movie's (re)release and wearing clothes seen in the movie, so I'm not actively pursuing dolls in swimsuits (i.e. Water Surprise Jasmine) or countless dolls under the Disney Princess brand. If they happen to come my way and they happen to be affordable, only then I add them to my collection.

Have you tried bidding/shopping on the Goodwill website? I found quite a few dolls I was missing there, you may run into the Ariel dolls you still need and potentially either of the two more recent Mary Poppins dolls. I definitely remember seeing the 1993 one on there. They can be much cheaper than on eBay. The only downside is that some of the boxes can be dented and not in a pristine condition.

Oh, and for Ariel dolls, have you seen these before -- dancing mini-dolls with musical stands? There's also a separate Ariel mini-doll but she doesn't use the 1997 sculpt. She's part of a different collection, Musical Classics/Musical Princesses.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just looked up the Signature Belle doll. At first I thought her doll was lovely, I love the skirt but...what the frick? Long sleeves and no gloves?!

I own the wonderful Signature Cinderella, as well as what I guess would be a Signature Maleficent and Ursula. I am so mad Aurora's crown is not complete solid gold. If that wasn't the case I may have tried to own that one. I own an Aurora doll, in pink, that is a play doll, but has a solid crown.

I looked up Giselle dolls. There are actually four. She has a play wedding one and a limited edition wedding one, with the play forest outfit and renaissance gift set. How did you get Robert in his business suit? Is that a play doll?
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That's precisely what I dislike, Duster! Sleeves instead of gloves are unforgivable. Just... why?

Those villain dolls are amazing as well. I keep them off my wishlist because they are very pricey, but they are VERY tempting. Aurora's crown not being solid plastic is a strange design choice and I understand why you don't like it, but it kind of works for the doll, imo.

I didn't know there were separate collector's and playline wedding Giselle dolls -- I only know of the ones shown here. Yes, Robert in his business suit is a playline doll. You can see it if you click the same link.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha, those Belle sleeves.

I got the villain dolls as a kid in the 90s, so less pricey!

Oh, nice Robert. Thanks for the link. And yes, look up Giselle limited edition Disney doll and that should show the other wedding one. She looks beautifully detailed!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky, I love that Signature line, too! I have Snow White and Cinderella. I really want Aurora, but I can never find a good deal for her. She’s always $80+. Cindy and Snow are usually in the $25-$50 range, do you have any idea why the prices for Aurora are so jacked up?

I have not looked into Goodwill but that’s a great idea! I’ll have to remember that next time I’m looking at dolls. Aren’t those Dancing Princesses dolls the first line Mattel produced for all the Princesses? I haven’t bought any of them yet!

Duster, those villain dolls are amazing! You’re so lucky to have kept them from childhood— I’m always amazed when adults have toys from childhood because I don’t think I kept any.

I was looking at the eBay prices for Giselle dolls and oh my god! It’s amazing what prices people can get for plastic and bits of fabric.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

My best guess is that a multitude of factors come into play: first, there may not be as many of her in circulation as with Snow White and Cinderella. Then, she's just that well-made, arguably one of the most film-accurate dolls ever produced. And finally, a lot of doll influencers have also hyped her up, so now everybody wants one for themselves. But yeah, keep checking shopgoodwill.com, she may pop up.

I believe Musical Princess was the first line, then there were either Perfume or Bubble lines, and Dancing is the last one. But yes, you're correct, it is the first time they were grouped together as "Disney Princesses".

(There’s also the Musical Classics line that builds onto the Musical Princess line, featuring Mary Poppins, Ariel I linked to in one of my previous posts, and Tinker Bell.)
Disney Duster wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:26 am I got the villain dolls as a kid in the 90s, so less pricey!
Ah, got it. I'm envious now! :lol:

I'll look that Giselle doll up, thanks!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hehe, thanks for the comments on my villain dolls, guys. I was into collecting since a young age. I even got the Cinderella Masterpiece Deluxe VHS set and The Ultimate Oz set in the 90s (my two favorite films!). I just was not a very good collector because I took the books, tapes, photos and lithos out and took very bad care of them lol. I also own a collector's Barbie as Glinda doll.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1dKLd6pOCo ... g0bGh0MA==

A new Limited Edition doll has been spotted in the wild. She reminds me (and may be inspired by?) this representation of Aurora at Disneyland’s Magic Happens parade: https://youtu.be/70sz4tzpNwI?feature=shared (Sleeping Beauty float passes by around the 17 min mark, but I recommend the whole parade, it is my favorite currently at the American parks)
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I see Flora and Merriweather have finally come to a compromise. :clap: :clap: :clap:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It seems on point that it only took 65 years! Lol
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Both Disney and Mattel seem to plan their doll releases around movie anniversaries that end in “0” and “5.”

Some films celebrating anniversaries this year:

Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Mary Poppins (1964)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
The Princess and the Frog (2009)

Let me know if I missed one! The 65th Anniversary Aurora doll dropped today and I would be so so excited if Mary and Ariel got deluxe dolls this year, too. My wallet might not be as excited, lol…
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I don’t collect Mattel Disney dolls. Unpopular opinion but I don’t think they’re very attractive.

The only Mattel dolls I have are the complete set of I Love Lucy/Lucille Ball dolls (big ILL fan) and the Barbie as Maria Von Trapp doll simply because I thought it was so unique.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

What gown do you think that new Tiana doll is going to wear? I would kilo for a doll of her with the dream gown, the white one.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I would also love to see that white gown. I think my absolute favorite of her dresses is the blue one, but I know they’ve done that before. They may throw us a curveball and dress her in something original, or even something from “Tiana’s Bayou Adventure” which is set to open this year.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This is a bit of a surprise— there is a new Halle Bailey Ariel doll coming soon. It is a budget doll with a slightly different paint scheme than last year’s budget doll: https://www.instagram.com/p/C3TyhK-t7pw ... g3dmZ3bA==