Star Wars Trilogy on DVD Officially Announced!

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Star Wars Trilogy on DVD Officially Announced!

Post by Jack »

http://starwars.com/episode-iv/news/200 ... 40210.html

As Han Solo said: YEEEEEEE-HAWWWW!!!!!!! :D
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Eh, it's cool, but a bit underwhelming that after all this time, they're just managing to come up with one bonus disc for all three movies together. Not like I won't get it, of course, but still. Thanks for the news!
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I agree that its dissapointing that it couldn't have been a set like the jam-packed Alien Quadrilogy. It's going to be identical to Indiana Jones's release, and I wasn't really impressed by the extras there (part of that has to do with I'm sick and tired of Laurent Bouzereau's documentaries, which all feel exactly the same and leave a bitter taste in my mouth).

But to finally be able to watch the films I grew up with on DVD makes up for it.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Although I'm exicted to finally get the trilogy on DVD, I'm slightly annoyed that it's going to be like the Indiana Jones set as opposed to each film having its own 2-disc set like the prequels. Speaking of which, I hope the cover art for the trilogy matches the prequels so that they'd look good together on my shelf...
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

That's great news I really can't wait to get the Star Wars Triology DVD set.
I been waiting for this.
I hope they take out the Star Wars Epsiodes 1-3 on a Triology set also.

Use the Force Luke! :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Wow I go away for a few weeks and all the big announcements are made...
Star Wars, Aladdin, Disney Princess Stories...

Well, we knew it was coming, but great to hear it is official.

Still disappointed that they are the 1997 editions, and I had hoped for a more "Special Alien Quad" style edition, but whatareyougonnado?
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I agree with Loomis and everyone else! I have hoping 2 disc sets of each movie or a box set like aliens with the original and the special edition! :cry:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I think we are going to get a nice set one day like the Alien Quadrilogy, it will be after Episode 3 tho, like he was originally planning.
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Maerj wrote:I think we are going to get a nice set one day like the Alien Quadrilogy, it will be after Episode 3 tho, like he was originally planning.
Yup, I have no doubt that we will have to double dip again on these, and of course - we are all willing slaves.

As it stands I own about 3 editions of the VHS (original, remastered, SE) and the first 2 "new trilogy' DVDs. And as a collector and a Star Wars fan, I can't say I mind that much.

As 2099 pointed out to me - Lucas has given us more than we asked for: we would have been happy just to get the barebones discs, but he has gone one better by providing a bonus disc.

Also, I think that this will be even better than the Indy set, given that this is set to have commentaries, which Spielberg still does not provide (for reasons that I partially agree with).

Still, kind of an anti-climax, and I approach this set with mixed emotions...
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

These movies really are a huge part of my life. Star Wars was the first piece of pop culture that could grasp 24 hrs of my undivided obsession since Disney, and only enhanced my now flourishing passion for motion pictures. I, too, am disappointed, but I will definitely get this set and whatever great DVD edition that comes out later. I own the remastered VHS of the original as well as the first VHS 1997 release of the SEs. I'm really happy that it's official now. :D
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I found this over at Home Theater Forum: it's pretty hilarious! :lol: (yes, its only a joke)

Star Wars Trilogy—The Ultra, Deluxe, Expanded, Soulless Edition
To Be Released On DVD

LUCASLAND, CA—FEBRUARY 11, 2004—Lucasfilm announced today that the Star Wars Trilogy—Special Edition, will be released on DVD later this year. However, much to the dismay of the fans responsible for making Lucas his millions, the original theatrical releases of the Star Wars Trilogy—the classic versions of the films that were actually respected in the film community and got Lord Lucas to the position he’s in today—will never appear on DVD. No, Lucas has completely forgotten where he came from, ignoring not only his fan base but also the hard work of the groundbreaking effects crew that worked on the original films. All their blood, sweat and tears have been forgotten, passed over in favor of computer generated shots that not only look out of place and interrupt the flow of the films, but also quite often make absolutely no sense. And because Lucas places such a high value his “artistic rights,” he’s also decided to add more new footage to the existing Special Editions! The result will be The Star Wars Trilogy—The Ultra, Deluxe, Expanded, Soulless Edition. The following is an exclusive synopsis of the scenes that have either been added or enhanced:

A New Hope:

The Death Star Shoots First
Lucas has said many times over the years he’s grown concerned that destroying the Death Star unprovoked makes Luke look like a cold-blooded killer. In the new edition, the Death Star will fire at the Rebel Base first. Only after the shot—which was fired at pointblank range—inexplicably misses, does Luke fire his own torpedoes to destroy the battle station. The Death Star will be CGI.

The Award Ceremony
Not only will Chewbacca receive a medal for his assistance in the Battle of Yavin, but so will anyone else who helped Luke throughout the course of the film. We will see Leia first give herself a medal, then Han, Luke and Chewie, followed by the droids, Wedge, the charred corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, and the guy that helped fit R2-D2 into the droid socket of Luke’s X-Wing Fighter. Again, all characters will be CGI.

Tusken Raider Attack
Because there are now only 16 people in the Star Wars Universe, a scene will be added explaining that the (CGI!) Tusken Raider who attacked Luke did so because his father was killed during Anakin’s rampage on the Tusken Camp in Attack of the Clones. C-3PO will translate his dialogue: “Hello, my name is Sav’ge Killr. Your father killed my father. Prepare to die!”

Han Solo in the Death Star Corridor
When Han chases the Stormtroopers down the Death Star corridor, he not only runs into a full platoon of them, but also Darth Vader, the Emperor, a squadron of AT-ATs, Genghis Khan, and a group of disgruntled postal workers. Not one of them manages to shoot him as he turns to run the other way.

The Empire Strikes Back:

R2-D2 & The Dagobah Swamp
Instead of falling into the bog on Dagobah and getting swallowed by an unseen swamp creature, Lucas will avoid any possible sexual overtones by having R2 use his super-cool rocket thrusters to fly safely to shore.

Luke’s Fall
A change will be made to the Special Edition scene where Luke chooses certain death over joining Darth Vader…and then proceeds to scream like a girl. Since Lucas already used the Emperor’s scream from Return of the Jedi for the change in the Special Edition, he’s decided to go all the way and actually replace Luke’s fall with the shot of the Emperor falling down the Death Star shaft. While this change will make absolutely no sense to the audience, Mr. Lucas claims he has an “artist’s right” to do so.

Vader’s Shuttle
Even more urgency will be sucked out of the scene where Vader returns to his ship to retrieve Luke from underneath Cloud City. In addition to the all important “Inform my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival” line that was so key to improving the scene in the Special Edition, the new scene will have Vader add “I’d also like my slippers, a beer, the March edition of Playboy, and some ointment because Luke really hurt my shoulder when he nicked me with his lightsaber.” Accompanying CGI footage will follow.

Return of the Jedi:

The Dance Number:
The fabulous dance number in Jabba’s Palace will be enhanced by the addition of Justin Timberlake, who will end the routine by ripping off Yarna’s top and exposing her six boobs.

Obi-Wan Discusses Anakin
Obi-Wan’s conversation on Dagobah with Luke about Anakin Skywalker has been re-recorded to better recount the events of Episode I: The Phantom Menace. The new scene will sound something like this: “Anakin, was never really a good friend, more like someone I put up with because I promised my hippie mentor I would. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, one who could destroy entire space stations by accident! I was never so much amazed at how strongly the Force was with him as I was frightened that this little brat was friggin’ dangerous. But a promise is a promise, so I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda, who warned me from day one that he shouldn’t be trained. So when you think about it this whole thing is really all his fault because he gave me permission even though he knew the kid was on the edge. Oh, and Leia’s your sister.”
Mystique
Gold Classic Collection

The September 21st..In a Galaxy, Far Far Away....

Post by Mystique »

THE STAR WARS TRILOGY WILL BE RELEASED ONTO DVD!!!!

Taken from Star Wars.com...

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
February 10, 2004

"The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.
"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set."

"Luke....Gwwwuhhhh huuuhhh.....I am your Father guwwwuhhhh huuuuh"
"Nooooooooooooo!"
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

They'll be expensive, w/ less-than-desired on features... and a probable re-release just a couple years around the bend, and lack the original versions of the film. :roll:

That being said, I will of course make an immediate purchase upon their release. Damn you, George Lucas, damn you.
:-P

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

Expensive? I doubt that. Remember last year when the Indy Trilogy could be had for $34.99? That's certainly not expensive, not for three movies and a bonus disc.

And yes, I'll be there opening day to buy it as well, of course. :P
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I didn't go out and get the Indy trilogy then, so I don't know how much it is, but it's like $50 now in the stores around here, which is expensive for me.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Mystique
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mystique »

Heeeyyyy, they moved my thread.
Grrr
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Mystique wrote:Heeeyyyy, they moved my thread.
Grrr
Probably because a perfectly good thread already existed right here....

Still, they look nice and cosy together don't they? :P
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

awallaceunc wrote:I didn't go out and get the Indy trilogy then, so I don't know how much it is, but it's like $50 now in the stores around here, which is expensive for me.

-Aaron
Yes, nowadays it's between $40 and $50, but on release it could be had for $34.99. It's very likely that this could happen again with Star Wars.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Excellent! Let's hope it is :)

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Bumping this thread up for a big reason: Potential cover art has been released. No one's sure if it's the final art, but it's definitely official as Fox has been forcing various sites to remove these pics from their pages. Here's one site that still has them up, so look at them while you can:

http://www.kamuiweb.com/sitev3/html/mod ... toryid=808

Apparantly there will be 3 different themed sets, none of which matching the prequels, which is slightly disappointing, but these sets look awesome none the less. My favorite's Jedi Vs. Darkside.