How to Train Your Dragon

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I like sequels if they're done properly, like the Toy Stories and The Lion Kings. I don't get the sequel prejudice here, especially since this is based on one of a series of books, it's like complaining Harry Potter got a sequel or The Lord of the Rings.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

yamiiguy wrote:I like sequels if they're done properly, like the Toy Stories and The Lion Kings. I don't get the sequel prejudice here, especially since this is based on one of a series of books, it's like complaining Harry Potter got a sequel or The Lord of the Rings.
Agreed. Any sequel done right can be a good sequel. Would Dreamworks be doing it for the money? Of course, they are a business. Its ALL about money. But so long as its written well, the actors return, the animation is just as good or better, I'm happy. This isn't another Land Before Time. Its not a direct to DVD.

Sometimes sequels help to open the world up and improve on what we already know. For instance, the Rescuers. A sequel was not necessary, and yet, one was made, where the animation was better, the story was beautiful, the cast was fantastic, the scenery was breathtaking. I've always felt Rescuers Down Under out did the original. And that's not to fault those who worked on the original at all, but I enjoyed the 2nd movie more than the first.

How To Train Your Dragon has a whole world out there yet unexplored in the movie. The book and movie both show the dragons, though animals, are complex. Probably at intelligent as chimps and dolphins, or perhaps even more intelligent then them. The books have given the dragons their own language. There are many more species yet unexplored too. I never read the books myself. From what I read of the first book, I feel the movie is a superior story. I think they improved it. I do need to read the book to give a fairer and more detailed comparison though. But I certainly feel there is room for a well written and executed sequel.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Hahah alright you guys have convinced me. I'm just afraid for it to be no good, because I REALLY loved HTTYD. I'll look forward to a sequel though, and if they mess it up, I'll just riot in front of Dreamworks. :D
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

http://alohalilo.deviantart.com/art/Lon ... -159888669

Just as I thought, Chris Sanders' character designs are awesome. Even if it's just a babies version of Astrid and a Gronkle, it still looks a million times better then the crap in the movie. Now I'm depressed just thinking of how much better the movie could've looked.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I loved this movie! But I don't know as that I'd want to see another one.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

I've seen this movie three times already. I think it's one of the best animated films in YEARS. Personally, I'd love to see a sequel. With the original talent behind the next installment, it could be great - still a lot to explore. I picked up the first book in the series the other day.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

jpanimation wrote:http://alohalilo.deviantart.com/art/Lon ... -159888669

Just as I thought, Chris Sanders' character designs are awesome. Even if it's just a babies version of Astrid and a Gronkle, it still looks a million times better then the crap in the movie. Now I'm depressed just thinking of how much better the movie could've looked.
Don't get your hate for the dragons.

I too thought they were weird at first but the story is just amazing and the dragons with each development become more unique in my opinion.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

More concept art

He looked even more like Stitch here.

And this is from the premiere...

"There's no way to look cool on this"

:lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W4LTy0Z31vE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W4LTy0Z31vE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Siren wrote: Sequel could be in the works
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popcorn ... 15777.html
http://animatedviews.com/2010/hollywood ... -dragon-2/
With $180m in box-office grosses so far, DreamWorks’ Jeffrey Katzenberg has announced How To Train Your Dragon is the next of the studio’s properties to become franchised, with a film sequel set for 2013, a television series and other events including an arena show planned.

"The Art of How to Train Your Dragon" reveals the film that DreamWorks Animation almost made
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... ragon.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Currently in the process of convincing my mom to see this with me this weekend.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I finally got a chance to see this (in IMAX 3-D with free popcorn and drink at a low price :D ) and I'm very glad I did.

I mostly avoid Dreamworks as their films don't appeal to me (at least the way they are advertised), but this was almost as good as anything you'd get from Pixar. I say "almost" because I don't think the designs of the dragons besides Toothless translated well to CGI graphics. They looked better in their 2-D hand drawn look for the end credits.

The story, characters, music, 3-D effects were all great with voice work and humor that suited the movie and a climax that was actually exciting. My favorite scenes were the flying ones for sure.

Definitely see this if you haven't.

Finally, does anyone else think Hiccup and College Andy from TS3 look similar?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I might be hitting an 8:45 2D screening tonight.

And I guess the two guys do look similar.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

ajmrowland wrote:And I guess the two guys do look similar.
I'm not sure if they do as much as I thought before now that I've looked at pictures again. I think it's was shape of the eyes that I remembered from the trailer while watching the movie that got me thinking.

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Also, the general head shapes are similar.

Anyway, I finally saw this after a month of convincing my parents, and my thoughts are on the "WMDYJW?" thread.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Wow. When you compare them side-by-side, despite their similarities, it immediately sticks out just which one is the superior model, being the more aesthetically pleasing and better designed. And for a sort of secondary character in one film to look so much better than a protagonist in another.... Wow. I think that really says something, if not about DreamWorks' weaknesses, then definitely about Pixar's dedication to making everything look fantastic.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Finally saw it this afternoon in 3D. I was blown away by how good the movie was. The voice actors were great and the story wasn't as predictable as I thought. (I don't think I've ever cried watching a DreamWorks picture before.) It's now a close second to Kung Fu Panda as being my favorite CGI DreamWorks movie.

PS - I never caught the Stitch and Andy similarities before. Maybe it was because I stayed away from any discussion or spoilers? :roll:
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Sorry about the spoilers. Anyway, I'm assuming you mean "Hiccup"?
Sotiris

DreamWorks' Dragons

Post by Sotiris »

Is the sequel going to be renamed to just "Dragons"? Look at this poster for the movie at the 2011 Licensing Expo.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Why not, they promoted the first one as just 'Dragons.' Hell, one could mistake that as a poster for the first one. Either way, I'm not excited at all for this as i wasn't too impressed with the orignal.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm kind of glad for the title change. We've already learned how to train our dragons from the first.

That said, I was watching the first movie the other day and of course I loved it, but I'm not sure what story there's left to tell? I can't imagine any other dragon-related storyline that could happen.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"