No "Wonderland" in the Netherlands?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Cosmic Creepers

No "Wonderland" in the Netherlands?

Post by Cosmic Creepers »

Dutch cinema owners have decided to boycott the release of Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" over the release date of the DVD of the film. The film will be released on March 10 followed by a June 1st DVD release making it less than three months between the two releases. Nearly 85% of all theaters in the Netherlands will not show the film if Disney does not push back the DVD release date. This, say Dutch theater owners, breaks an agreement that they had which states that there should be at least four months between a theatrical release and a home video/rental release. This, they figure, would make audiences more apt to see the film in theaters. Otherwise they would just wait to watch it at home. Also, many other European as well as American cinema groups have announced that they may do the same in an effort to send a message to the people at Disney that this is not right and that they [the theater owners] will lose money. So, do you agree with the actions of the theater owners to ban Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" ?:mickeyface:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Their loss. I'm sure they stand to make more with a DVD release coming a couple of weeks quicker than they do by not releasing it at all. I think exhibitors overestimate the importance of windows. How many movies today make any significant money beyond like week #6? Now, how many outside of the summer and Christmas seasons? The theater and home video experiences aren't really competing with one another, especially on something advertised as an event like <i>Alice</i>.
drnilescrane
Gold Classic Collection

Post by drnilescrane »

Luke wrote:Their loss. I'm sure they stand to make more with a DVD release coming a couple of weeks quicker than they do by not releasing it at all. I think exhibitors overestimate the importance of windows. How many movies today make any significant money beyond like week #6? Now, how many outside of the summer and Christmas seasons? The theater and home video experiences aren't really competing with one another, especially on something advertised as an event like <i>Alice</i>.
It's not about the window at the actual cinema - there won't be a week 6 at all if the general public know they can wait a few more weeks and they can pick up up at Wall-mart. This might not hurt people who go to the movies anyway but it's sure as hell going to scare away budget conscious Mums planning school holidays and worst of all, repeat business. I'm siding with the cinemas on this one - By trying to prop up the home market by a few million they are draining tens of millions from the even more lucrative theatrical market, especially as 3D has pushed up ticket sales. I can't see it balancing out.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Well, that's their loss, and Disney's too I guess. But this isn't just the Netherlands right? I thought this boycot was in many countries across Europe.
Anyway, this doesn't really affect me, since my local theater is still showing it on march 10th... I hope - well it's still on their website.

EDIT: Nevermind, my theater isn't showing it anymore, it was removed from their website (yesterday it was still there). The one movie I was really looking forward to... damn. :x
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I wonder if, in the future, some movie theaters/theater chains will boycott other Disney movies, even if there isn't a shortened theater-to-DVD window, just to show Disney that...I don't know, that they don't agree with some of their practices...?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Here in the Netherlands they also did this with UP (release the dvd shortly after the movie was in the cinema) and it also wasn't a really huge succes.
The movie played here a few months after the movie premiered in the US, so that woud explain it, but with Alice?

Anyway, even though I'm really upset I won't get to see the movie in 3D, I've decided to just download it. After all, it's their loss.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

drnilescrane wrote:It's not about the window at the actual cinema - there won't be a week 6 at all if the general public know they can wait a few more weeks and they can pick up up at Wall-mart. This might not hurt people who go to the movies anyway but it's sure as hell going to scare away budget conscious Mums planning school holidays and worst of all, repeat business. I'm siding with the cinemas on this one - By trying to prop up the home market by a few million they are draining tens of millions from the even more lucrative theatrical market, especially as 3D has pushed up ticket sales. I can't see it balancing out.
So people know that movies typically come to Wal-Mart four months after opening in theaters. And they still go see movies in theaters in large numbers. But because this would be coming to DVD a few weeks earlier than usual (something that the typical person won't know until a commercial shows up on TV days before the DVD release), they'd suddenly skip the theater and settle for seeing the DVD? It doesn't make sense. Movie attendance is ridiculously front-loaded today and I don't think it's because after a couple of weeks, people just decide to wait for the DVD. Among the types of moviegoers who fuel the business (predominantly young people with disposable cash), people are either going to want to see something or not. I can understand exhibitors being upset about the window shrinking, but a boycott isn't going to change people's moviegoing habits and the increasing lack of theatrical legs.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Cinemas had an agreement with Disney. Disney violated that agreement. They came up with a bogus reasoning. They said that people would donwload the film illegally if it's not released within 3 months after theatrical release. This is nonsense. People don't download because they have to wait 4 (instead of 3) months, but because they don't want to pay for it. Even if Disney released the dvd one day after the theatrical release, these people would still download it. Disney should stick to their initial agreement. I side with the cinemas. But then again, I have no bone in this fight, since I don't care for the film anyway.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

In that case, im taking Goliath's spot, as I actually care for the film. :P

But seriously, Disney is once again in the wrong on this.
blackcauldron85

AMC digging in over Disney's plans for 'Alice in Wonderland'
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... 26+Buzz%29
(via micechat.com)
DisneyLuver
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyLuver »

blackcauldron85 wrote:AMC digging in over Disney's plans for 'Alice in Wonderland'
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... 26+Buzz%29
(via micechat.com)
This is getting absolutely crazy and ridiculous. :(
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Whatever. I want my DVD. :P

But yeah. I agree with the cinemas. If Disney had an agreement, they had an agreement.
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85