Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 40s?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 40s?

Snow White and the Seven Dawrfs
30%
Pinocchio
22%
Fantasia
20%
Dumbo
8%
Bambi
15%
Saludos Amigos
No votes
The Three Caballeros
1%
Make Mine Music
No votes
Fun and Fancy Free
No votes
Melody Time
1%
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
3%

Total votes: 91

Linguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Linguini »

my favorite movie is "Snow White and the Seven Dawrfs". The Dwarfs are just unbeatable for me, some of the funniest chracters in disney history until now imo.
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

A great decade for disney animation and a couple of surprise picks at the top of my list plus a write-in at number 3.

1. The Three Caballeros - One of, if not my favorite, Disney movies of all time. I love the characters, the music, and the history/importance of when this movie happened and why.
2. Saludos Amigos - The first part of a great duo that has a great Goofy short but doesn't have the Three Caballeros so it falls a little short.
3. Victory Through Air Power - It may not be listed but it's a reason we won the war. That's enough for me.
4. Bambi - An emotional favorite with great characters, a great story, and that all important heart.
5. Pinocchio - Another great movie and I love Jiminy.
6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - The one that started it all. It'd probably score much higher but I've never like Snow White's singing voice.
7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Every year we watch this on Halloween
8. Dumbo - A good movie that was better when I was younger
9. Melody Time
10. Make Mine Music - I like these both about the same
11. Fantasia - A great picture that also serves as a great example of "symphony" but for some reason never resonated with me like it does others.
12. Fun and Fancy Free - A good movie but just not better than anything else on the list.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

1. Fantasia - I simply love Fantasia since I saw it first in 2004. I imported later the Anthology Set and watched some sequences of Fantasia just some hours ago. My favourite is the Nutcracker Suite
2. Pinocchio - I never liked Pinocchio that much when I was a child. Later when I got the DVD of it, I began (very slowly) to like it more, step by step. Today it's one of the Disney films I could watch day after day. My favourite scene is the under-water-sequence.
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - The One that Started it All get a bonus of me for it's meaning for the film industry. Though there are still some (longer) sequences I find a little boring I enjoy it much more since I own it on blu-ray, just because of it's beautiful and stunning animation.
4. Dumbo - It's very cute and because of the pink elephants scene I like it more than Bambi
5. Bambi - I love the animation and enjoy the story, but not as much as of the other big DACs of this decade
6. Melody Time - It's way more tiny as Fantasia but still a masterpiece of animation art
7. The Three Caballeros
7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Todd - I like both of them pretty much but can't just watch them to often.
9. Fun and Fancy Free - It's ok, no more, no less
10. Saludos Amigos - How could a movie which runs just 30 minutes be such a bore?

MMM is the only DAC I didn't seen yet, cause it was never published at my location.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I don't include Snow White in my ranking, because it's NOT a 1940's Classic. I don't understand why other people fail to understand this. Anyway, I first have to explain I make a difference between my favorite films (which the TS asks for) and the best films (which can differ from my favorites-ranking entirely).

Pinocchio is both the best *and* my favorite from the 1940's. I love the beautiful multiplane camera shots, the breakthrough animation, and the general dark tone of the film (including the baddies that never get theirs).

Bambi and Dumbo are good films, when judging animation, character development, story structure, editing, music etc. But they just bore me. I'm sorry, but they do. Not even Bambi's mother's death or 'Baby, mine' can hold my attention. So they end low on my ranking of favorites.

I think Fantasia is terribly overrated. Yes, the animation is perfect, but that's all. I don't consider the combination of classical music and Disney animation as 'art', but as kitsch. Although I do like the segment with the dinosaurs.

1. Pinocchio
2. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
3. Make Mine Music (although I hate 'Casey at the bat')
4. Fun and Fancy Free (mainly because of the Mickey-segment)
5. The Three Caballeros
6. Saludos Amigos
7. Fantasia
8. Bambi
9. Dumbo

I haven't seen Melody Time yet.
witchkitten

Post by witchkitten »

1. Snow White and the Seven Dawrfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Bambi
5. Dumbo
6. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
7. Fun and Fancy Free
8. Make Mine Music
9. Melody Time
10. The Three Caballeros
11. Saludos Amigos
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

although it was tough between the first three and between some of the others as well i would have to say this is my ranking

Bambi
Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
Fantasia
Fun and Fancy Free
Melody Time
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Make Mine Music
The Three Caballeros
Saludos Amigos
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I would have said Snow White since it started the Disney Animated Classic, but since it is NOT from the 40s, I chose Pinocchio. I do not have time to rank all the classics right now.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

The "Fairest one of all" got my vote....Snow White of course. If you eliminate that title I would go with Pinocchio.
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Dumbo, it's SUCH a classic.
niamh_nimrod

Post by niamh_nimrod »

I picked Pinocchio :)
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 40s?

Post by D82 »

I think it was a good idea to include Snow White here since it's the only classic from the 30s and there are no other films in that decade to do a separate ranking, but technically this thread should've been titled "Best Disney Animated Classic from the 30s/40s?". Anyway, here's my ranking:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Dumbo
4. Bambi
5. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
6. Fun and Fancy Free
7. Fantasia
8. The Three Caballeros
9. Make Mine Music
10. Melody Time
11. Saludos Amigos

I know, Fantasia is quite low in my ranking. I consider it a masterpiece and better than some of the movies I've ranked higher, but though I enjoy it every time I watch it, it's not one of my personal favorites.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

D82 wrote:I think it was a good idea to include Snow White here since it's the only classic from the 30s and there are no other films in that decade to do a separate ranking, but technically this thread should've been titled "Best Disney Animated Classic from the 30s/40s?".
Agreed! Absolutely correct!

My ranking:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - the second greatest Disney film of all time. They put so much into the film.
2. Pinocchio - yeah, they put a lot into the film, but it's so dark I actually think that kind of keeps it from being the very best.
3. Bambi - a beautiful melancholic masterpiece.
4. Dumbo - so full of love.
5. Fantasia - it's very cool.
6. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - meh. It's fun and kinda scary with Ichabod.
7. Fun and Fancy Free - meh.

Can't remember the others enough, and they were package features anyway, I don't feel they should be part of the DAC's. Yes, I know I put in Ichobod and Mr. Toad and Fun and Fancy Free but that's because I remember them well.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm going to rank only the 5 first films:

1. Bambi
2. Pinocchio
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Fantasia
5. Dumbo
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm only going to bother with the first five as well lol.

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Dumbo
4. Bambi
5. Fantasia

@D82 - my ranking is pretty much the same as yours.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Pinocchio ~ Walt's greatest film, imo.
2. Bambi
3. Dumbo
4. Make Mine Music
5. Melody Time
6. Fantasia
7. Fun and Fancy Free
8. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
9. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
10. The Three Caballeros
11. Saludos Amigos

I actually enjoy most of the package films these days, unlike when I posted years back. :P It's really just Caballeros and Saludos Amigos that I have a hard time sitting through the whole way.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Don´t love any of them. And it´s not that it´s my favorite but I prefer it over the rest...Pinnochio. If this wasn´t the first it was the second Disney movie I ever watched with my mother. Love that it´s dark. The many villains. Monstro is amazing and gave me nightmares. What I don´t love is the soundtrack/including the songs except for No Strings on Me. And Figaro is so much fun.

-Snow White: I used to hate but learned to enjoy. The animation is incredible. The Evil Queen amazing. Snow White´s costume is iconic and her look. Like how they differentiate the dwarfs. Have a soft spot for the animation/design of that era. But there are scenes with the dwarfs that are filler.

-Fantasia: Apreciate what it did and tried to do. But the movie is too long, slow and boring. The best parts are Night on Bald Mountain-without Ave Maria, the Greek mithology and dinosaur scenes.

-Dumbo: Already said it: fond memories of it and a great movie as it is with very likable characters and very emotional.

-Bambi: The animation is great but too slow and boring.

-The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad: For a package film is the best.

...haven´t seen/don´t remember the rest.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

If I was to only do the first 5:

1- Fantasia
2- Dumbo
3- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4- Bambi
5- Pinocchio

Yes, Pinocchio is my icon and it's my least favorite. :P I'd put all of these easily in the 9-10 range, though.

I will say that Ichabod and Mr. Toad is the strongest of the package features by a strong distance IMO. Both segments are highly enjoyable, and the theme of comparing and contrasting British and American lit works shockingly well. I don't want to rank all of the others since I haven't seen Make Mine Music or Melody Time in ages.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ranking the first five was easy. I struggled with the rest of them.

01. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
02. Fantasia
03. Pinocchio
04. Bambi
05. Dumbo
06. Fun and Fancy Free
07. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
08. Make Mine Music
09. The Three Caballeros
10. Saludos Amigos
11. Melody Time
12. The Reluctant Dragon
13. Walt Disney's Academy Award Revue
14. So Dear to My Heart
15. Song of the South
16. Victory Through Air Power
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

My list

1. Pinocchio
2. Snow White
3. Fantasia
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
6. Ichabod and Mr. Toad
7. Fun and Fancy Free
8. The Three Caballeros
9. Melody Time
10. Make Mine Music
11. Saludos Amigos
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:@D82 - my ranking is pretty much the same as yours.
It's true! If you exclude the package films from my ranking, they're both identical!
Disney's Divinity wrote:I actually enjoy most of the package films these days, unlike when I posted years back. :P It's really just Caballeros and Saludos Amigos that I have a hard time sitting through the whole way.
Though I've ranked The Three Caballeros higher than other package films, as I really like some parts like The Cold-Blooded Penguin and The Flying Gauchito segments or the ending with the three title characters, it's also the one that I find most boring at times. Especially the musical numbers of the second half of the movie. Saludos Amigos is actually easier to watch in that regard because at least is shorter.
Avaitor wrote:I will say that Ichabod and Mr. Toad is the strongest of the package features by a strong distance IMO. Both segments are highly enjoyable, and the theme of comparing and contrasting British and American lit works shockingly well.
I agree, I love both segments and they work really well together as a "double feature".
Sotiris wrote:13. Walt Disney's Academy Award Revue
I remember having seen the longer version of that film, which included more Oscar-winning shorts, that according to Wikipedia was released in 1966. But I don't remember if it was on TV or if rented it, was it ever released on VHS?