The Black Hole (Remake)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Black Hole (Remake)

Post by Escapay »

What a great way to start December! Learning that one of the most misunderstood/underrated/strangest movies Disney ever made will be re-imagined!

The Black Hole Gets A Remake, And It May Blow Your Mind

TRON LEGACY Writers Sucked into Disney’s Remake of THE BLACK HOLE

Tron Legacy's Joe Kosinski Remaking Disney's The Black Hole

Tron: Legacy Team to Remake Disney’s The Black Hole

All the links have the same information, which is that Joe Kosinski (Tron Legacy director), Sean Bailey (Tron Legacy producer), and Travis Beacham (Clash of the Titans writer) are working on the reinvention of 1979's The Black Hole. Details are limited, but they are expected to still include the demonic robot Maximilian, and naturally they'll make the science more accurate and less...well, I doubt they'll have the characters breathing in the vacuum of space, or having Kate be telepathic with V.I.N.C.E.N.T. In addition, this is one of the first projects to be overseen by Rich Ross.

I really like what Josh Tyler (Cinema Blend) said in his article:
  • The Black Hole is a story idea loaded with potential. The 1979 movie never quite reaches it, but the potential is there lurking in the script. As is, the film is worth a quick look but it’s ripe for a remake that really gets it right. It’s ripe for a remake unhampered by the technological constraints of 70s filmmaking and freed from the fetters of Disney’s insistence on turning a PG-13 idea into a PG movie. This is what remakes should be for, not the retreading of already perfectly done ideas, but the reinvention of great ideas which in the past just never quite came out right.

The Black Hole is just such an idea. Done properly it’s a PG-13 or even R-rated space horror movie, close to the same level of atmospheric terror and suspense as the original Alien. In a far off future a small explorer vessel discovers a long lost, magnificent derelict (the USS Cygnus) trapped in the gravity pull of a black hole. Imagine if the Titanic hadn’t really sank, and James Cameron suddenly discovered it floating somewhere populated by only its captain. The astronauts investigate and find on board a lone scientist, surrounded by strange faceless robots (including a memorably menacing red robot named Maximillian) of his own devising. His crew is missing, his sanity is in question, and the ship may be crumbling around them. That’s The Black Hole and if someone ever gets it right, it could be brilliant.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hope when the film nears its release that Disney will put The Black Hole on Blu-Ray and DVD with a shipload of special features. Especially since they already have material in the archives that were being prepared for Laserdisc back in the 90s! :D

Now then, when will Disney decide to remake/reboot The Rocketeer so that they can release the original on Blu-Ray to promote it?

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Holy crap!

A couple years (?) ago an article predicted 4 Disney movies will be remade in the future. This along with Flight of the Navigator have been announced by Disney and appeared on that list.

Very exciting indeed!

How much longer before The Watcher in the Woods gets redone?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm confused- is this a remake (a la Freaky Friday) or a reimagining (a la Race to Witch Mountain) or a sequel/sequelish type thing (a la Tron: Legacy?

I guess it's better to make a good movie based off of an existing movie than make a crappy original movie, but still...all of these remakes/reimagining/sequelishes? Granted, I have no qualms about Tron: Legacy or any POTC films, but it's just a little overkill, isn't it?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Tron: Legacy, John Carter and now a remake of The Black Hole sound like live-action Disney movies I'd actually WANT to see.

I pray that that Beverly Hills Chihuahua sequel never see the light of day. And please no more G-Force like crap.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Holy crap!

A couple years (?) ago an article predicted 4 Disney movies will be remade in the future. This along with Flight of the Navigator have been announced by Disney and appeared on that list.

Very exciting indeed!

How much longer before The Watcher in the Woods gets redone?
to be honest Watcher could make a nice movie if they made it a period piece and really had a nice script written and cut the whole alien crap.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

nomad2010 wrote:to be honest Watcher could make a nice movie if they made it a period piece and really had a nice script written and cut the whole alien crap.
But the Watcher IS the alien. Cutting out the alien means cutting out the Watcher, and it's not The Watcher in the Woods...it's just The Woods.
Ames wrote:I'm confused- is this a remake (a la Freaky Friday) or a reimagining (a la Race to Witch Mountain) or a sequel/sequelish type thing (a la Tron: Legacy?)
I can't see it being a sequel the way Tron Legacy is, unless it's some crazy idea where Maximilian leads his army of Sentry robots out of the Black Hole and on the way to attack Earth...

My money's on a reimagining.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

The is great news. As much as I like the original, I'll be the first to say it's not a great film, and with the special effects and computers and gigabytes and whatnot that we have today, this could be fun.
Escapay wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:to be honest Watcher could make a nice movie if they made it a period piece and really had a nice script written and cut the whole alien crap.
But the Watcher IS the alien. Cutting out the alien means cutting out the Watcher, and it's not The Watcher in the Woods...it's just The Woods.
My problem was that the aliens seemed to come out of left field. It was, in my mind, set up as some supernatural ghostly thing, then it was like "Nope, aliens are spying on Bette Davis."
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I read the news this morning. I did like the original when I was a kid. All it is is basically a re-telling of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I wonder if the new Maximillian will meat grind Norman Bates again. (I know, Anthony Perkins isn't alive anymore. maybe they could get Vince Vaughn?)
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

Yeah, Black Hole is a reimagining of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, not Titanic. Reading that connection made doesn't inspire me with much confidence after that cocky stuff about how the first one missed the mark and they are going to make a remake that "gets it right". C'mon, how often does the remake blow away the original? Yeah, occasionally, but the track record, especially from Disney, isn't too good. And I'm not against sequels or remakes by any means, I just feel like some of the things that made the original great to me will be the first things to go in the reimagining. For example, I LOVE the spiritual twist they put on the end of what otherwise would have been just 20,000 Leagues in space. But you can't do the same ending, because it's not a surprise, so I suspect that will be the first big change, and for me it is what really made the original great. Nothing is going to top the Black Hole being the location of Heaven and Hell. I'll only be happy if they keep that intact.

Anyway, I was wondering if they'd redo this one soon. I don't think they'd have to eliminate the telepathy aspect. I've seen that in a lot of sci-fi. I know it was robot to human, but this could be changed into a chip implant sort of thing easy if the filmmakers don't like the idea of natural telepathy. As for remaking Flight of the Navigator, I can't imagine why they'd do that. It's not THAT old. It has a place in my heart because I saw and loved it as a kid, but I see how cheesy it is when I watch it today. I don't know, I think it's one best left alone. I don't feel it has THAT much to offer in terms of story. And if you completely rewrite the story, or nearly completely, you might as well call it an original movie and give it an original title and all... Which is what Rob Zombie should have done instead of a Halloween remake....
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I wonder if the ending will be darker
Cosmic Creepers

Post by Cosmic Creepers »

Pesonally, I don't see any point in "remakes" or "reimaginings" other than a studio capitalizing on past projects. It's the mentality that if it worked once and was a hit then it can do it again and again. This isn't always true, yet Disney hasn't been phased into not making over past films. I hope that they don't remake any especially "The Black Hole" and "The Watcher in the Woods." These and so many others are fine just the way they are. What the people at Disney should do is release all of these films that they plan on remaking on DVD/Blu-Ray with every possible bonus feature on each one. Isn't that what we all really want to see? I know I would much rather see the complete and restored version of "The Watcher in the Woods" than to put myself through watching, lets say for the sake of argument, the Hilton sisters cast as Jan and Ellie Curtis in Jerry Bruckheimer's retelling of "Disney's The Watcher in the Woods." :mickeyface:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

EXCLUSIVE: Joseph Kosinski's 'Black Hole' To Begin Script Work Soon, Will Preserve Maximilian, Cygnus And More
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/02/09/ex ... -and-more/
(via blueskydisney.blogspot.com)
BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BackgroundActorman1976 »

The best news of all for this is that we will most likely be seeing the Original being released on BluRay with a nice brand spanking new HD Transfer around the time this hits theatres.

This is definately a film iam going to be a keeping an ear open for when calling up to book work through Central Casting once it goes into production, I definately want to be a background performer on this.
Black hole is tied with the clash of the titans and the rocketeer,as my all time favorite movie
Be sure to look for me this summer very briefly in Predators
BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

Re: "The Black Hole" to be remade!

I really hope they never ever remake the rocketeer, leave it be its perfect as is.

Escapay wrote:
Now then, when will Disney decide to remake/reboot The Rocketeer so that they can release the original on Blu-Ray to promote it?

albert
BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

bradhig wrote:I wonder if the ending will be darker
the original films ending is one of the alltime great movie endings ever.

oh and those of you in the L.A. area this weekend Ernst Borgnine will be at the hollywoodshow autograph show in Burbank this weekend.
I have my blackhole poster and film score cd ready to be signed saturday. :)
BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

I really like what Josh Tyler (Cinema Blend) said in his article:
  • The Black Hole is a story idea loaded with potential. The 1979 movie never quite reaches it, but the potential is there lurking in the script. As is, the film is worth a quick look but it’s ripe for a remake that really gets it right. It’s ripe for a remake unhampered by the technological constraints of 70s filmmaking and freed from the fetters of Disney’s insistence on turning a PG-13 idea into a PG movie. This is what remakes should be for, not the retreading of already perfectly done ideas, but the reinvention of great ideas which in the past just never quite came out right.

The Black Hole is just such an idea. Done properly it’s a PG-13 or even R-rated space horror movie, close to the same level of atmospheric terror and suspense as the original Alien. In a far off future a small explorer vessel discovers a long lost, magnificent derelict (the USS Cygnus) trapped in the gravity pull of a black hole. Imagine if the Titanic hadn’t really sank, and James Cameron suddenly discovered it floating somewhere populated by only its captain. The astronauts investigate and find on board a lone scientist, surrounded by strange faceless robots (including a memorably menacing red robot named Maximillian) of his own devising. His crew is missing, his sanity is in question, and the ship may be crumbling around them. That’s The Black Hole and if someone ever gets it right, it could be brilliant.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hope when the film nears its release that Disney will put The Black Hole on Blu-Ray and DVD with a shipload of special features. Especially since they already have material in the archives that were being prepared for Laserdisc back in the 90s! :D

albert
The writer of that article for Cinema blend really needs to do some research and it shows.

He writes that Disney was insitant on on making what should have been a PG 13 movie rated PG, there wasnt even a PG13 raiting back in 1979.
PG13 was first used a raitings designation in 1984 after Indiana Jones and Gremlins made parents upset over the high level of supposed violence.
It was Steven spielberg who convinced Jack Valenti to create it.
and the first movie to be rated PG 13 was the Flamingo Kid. a good 5 years after the black hole was released.

Furthermore the Black Hole was the FIRST Disney movie to be rated higher than a G, the Black hole was the very first disney movie to be rated PG. SO Disney was allready pushing the envelope in that regards.

the writer goes on to claim that this would make a good PG13 or R rated film, excuse me a R rated film? This is a Disney movie for KIDS!!!

i cant take him or that article seriously.

escpay thank you for sharing all you did about the black hole remake, and my comments above are only in regards to the cinema blend writer.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

I thought the 1st PG-13 movie released was Red Dawn while the Dennis Quaid film Dreamscape was the first film to actually receive the rating (Red Dawn beat it to theaters).
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

BackgroundActorman1976 wrote:

Furthermore the Black Hole was the FIRST Disney movie to be rated higher than a G, the Black hole was the very first disney movie to be rated PG.
Actually when the 1950 Disney live action feature "Treasure Island" was re-released in the 1970s it was rated PG due to the scene where Jim Hawkins shoots the pirate in the face at the top of the crow's nest. This scene was deemed too violent for G audiences at that time. In response Disney cut that scene out and released a censored version to theatres.

This scene was restored and released on DVD in the full PG cut of the film.

It turns out Walt himself was pushing the envelope ;)
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

Rudy Matt wrote:I thought the 1st PG-13 movie released was Red Dawn while the Dennis Quaid film Dreamscape was the first film to actually receive the rating (Red Dawn beat it to theaters).
Nope flamigo kid was the first one to have the 3D Raiting, though Red Dawn made it first.
zackiellovedisney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by zackiellovedisney »

I have never seen the original but this sounds like it might be good. Is it just me or is Hollywood just becoming sequels remakes and based off books. Anyway maybe Disney should do this. They should rerelease films maybe every twenty years or so. Then release all the other adaptions of the same movie. That way people can get familiar with the old and new adaptions of classic tales.