LAZY ANIMATION!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MattDean
Gold Classic Collection

LAZY ANIMATION!

Post by MattDean »

:)

Thought it might be fun to post evidence of Disney animation at its not so spectacular!

This is not meant to question the quality of animated features (well, it is a little bit!) but to highlight scenes, characters, backgrounds, etc that may not be quite as wonderful or as well presented/finished as they could be!

Disney is well aware of some of their shortcomings, think of all the 'touch ups' BATB needed until the company were confident it would be acceptable on an Imax screen.

Surely we all can think of instances in our favourite animated films that could do with a little more attention - not that we would allow that, of course!

So what's your favourite poorly drawn character or dodgy background? Can you thing of any times when characters are out of proportion or simply look wrong? Have you noticed when colours vary from scene to scene? Have you spotted any major continuity flaws?

Remember, this is for fun - disney animation is NOT perfect and I for one love the fact that it isn't!

So, simply discuss or - if you're capable, please post screen caps!

I'll get back with some of mine later :D

Matt
Last edited by MattDean on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Townspeople in Beauty and the Beast.
Belle and the Librarian in Beauty and the Beast.
Bell and Maurice in Beauty and the Beast.

And that's just the 1st fifteen minutes.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

The colecovision-esque computer animated "Festival of Fools" extras in Hunchback.
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Yeah, they suck also.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

the townspeople didnt look that odd.i liked them.of course they've improved by the time mulan came out.

i like miyazaki's animation.the extras always have something distinctive to do.

i'd pick....

the static crowd in hercules' finale a star is born.the smiling old man with the white hair annoys me.his expression is too exaggerated to be still.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

akhenaten wrote:the townspeople didnt look that odd.i liked them.of course they've improved by the time mulan came out.

i like miyazaki's animation.the extras always have something distinctive to do.

i'd pick....

the static crowd in hercules' finale a star is born.the smiling old man with the white hair annoys me.his expression is too exaggerated to be still.
It''s not how something LOOKS, it's how something MOVES. That's why they call it ANIMATION not GRAPHIC DESIGN.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

ehem..i was an animation student.i know. what if i'd written..they SEEMED fine. it'd have given the same meaning.the animation wasn't jerky at all..design wise theyre also ok.besides isnt design also played a part in the animation?

its more baffling to see native english speakers pointing to an instrumental music as a song. :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't mind it so much (but I always notice it), as I can't see how they'd do it differently, but the facial features when Peter Pan and the Darlings are flying...at times, they have dots for eyes and such. But, again, with them so small at that moment, I don't know how they'd have drawn them differently.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

in HD u will see the dotted eyes clearer. :P
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

One scene that always comes to mind is Ariel crying as the ship sails. The whole thing looks so horrible, with no detail at all. She doesn't even have eye-ducts as these horrible raindrops drip out of her eyes. Bleh.

The beginning of B&tB has never bothered me. The only part of it that could use fixing, imo, is when Belle's on the fountain and the sheep lean back and forth instead of moving fluidly (something that I think only ever happened again in a sequel otherwise).
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

All Disney's CG features so far have impressed me animation wise, but I'm sometimes annoyed at how certain minor human figures are duplicated, especially in Meet the Robinsons. I hear it happens in BOLT too (though I don't recall noticing it). In the final shot in Meet the Robinsons - as the car slowly chugs away - you can see two other identical cars parked in the street ... varying only in colour.

I'll admit that deep down I feel these (quite honestly, minor) shortcomings were likely the result of the strenuous schedule on both Robinsons and BOLT. Especially BOLT. Unfortunately it seems that the upcoming Rapunzel will suffer the same fate. I'd rather the Disney artists could work leisurely, at their own pace, and let the ideas come organically, rather than have to work work work as fast as possible to meet the deadline. Just think of all the pressure and stress they must endure. :(
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Well, in Pocahontas, when you pause during a frame of "Savages" - the screen is filled up by Englishmen, only, it's the same four or five repeated over and over.

Even in a still from the upcoming The Princess and the Frog, during a parade scene, if you pause, the same five people are repeated all across the balconies of buildings.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Re: LAZY ANIMATION!

Post by Marky_198 »

MattDean wrote::)

Disney is well aware of some of their shortcomings, think of all the 'touch ups' BATB needed until the company were confident it would be acceptable on an Imax screen.

Matt
That's what I am a bit afraid of.
They have to do all this "touch ups" to make the films look "acceptable" on an Imax screen. So in the end it may look acceptable.
But will it ever look great?

I do like this thread by the way.
Can't wait to see some examples.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Aside from the extras in PATF, and Hunchback, I can't really think of anything that bothers me. That is, unless you count issues the first five had. Budget is always an issue.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

this irks me.

the candle meg blows on pegasus' head went off miliseconds bfr she blows it. not checking it to be in sync is lazy to me :P

i hope they fix it for the upcoming bluray/dvd :twisted:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

No including the aforementioned Peter Pan faces, I also think of a certain scene in TLM, I think when Ariel is talking to Triton in the Throne Room, and Ariel's face is either off model, or just has dots for eyes, it's been a while since I last saw that.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I don't really like the CG animation of the stairs while Ariel is running down them right before she see's Vanessa. I just don't understand why it's CG to begin with, it seems like a waste.

I've noticed for a while and I can't help myself from watching it too closely but Belle's lips are way off sinc while she's talking to her father after the opening number of BatB.

It's bothered me that Disney has recycled animation in many of the DACs.

Isn't it funny that we're all mentioning many of the same films as they are the first to come to mind?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

singerguy04 wrote:I don't really like the CG animation of the stairs while Ariel is running down them right before she see's Vanessa. I just don't understand why it's CG to begin with, it seems like a waste.
You know, when I was a kid watching TLM, I didn't notice the staircase, but I certainly noticed the wheel on the carriage during the "Tour of the Kingdom" bit. I was actually surprised to see that on the Platinum back in 06. Isn't that funny?
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

Some continuity problems and other issues with The Sword in the Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1gtszkTAmo