Harry Potter Ultimate Editions Coming

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Amazon now has cover art for the Ultimate Edition DVDs for movies three and four:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire

I really really like the Prisoner of Azkaban one. I think it's my favorite of the UE covers so far (it was also my favorite of the regular DVD covers). What's interesting is that the bottom banners that advertise the documentaries are now themed according to their topic. PoA's 'Magical Creatures" banner has the Hungarian Horntail (they should've put Buckbeak here) while GoF's "Sound & Music" is done in a wavy opaque ala soundwaves.

I keep checking the MPAA site to see if extended versions of PoA and GoF have been passed, but there's nothing, yet. I really hope these contain additional footage outside of the DVD/ABC Family scenes as we know more exist. They already dropped the ball with SS, but after hearing Columbus admit in the supplements what an editing nightmare that film was, I'm willing to let it slide since the cut footage may not be usable.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Thanks for the update, Kelvin!

I'm mad they're reusing the older DVD cover of GoF, but I agree about the PoA one looking great!
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Disneykid wrote:They already dropped the ball with SS, but after hearing Columbus admit in the supplements what an editing nightmare that film was, I'm willing to let it slide since the cut footage may not be usable.
Did he say anything else about SS, editing wise? I'm curious to know if there was just too much they filmed so they had to cut a load, while at the same time be sure the film made sense story wise.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Well, on the documentary, Columbus says that since the kids were new to the film business, they were very easily distracted. They couldn't go more than a few seconds without either looking at the camera or simply breaking character. He said the way they worked around that was to have several cameras rolling at once. Then in the editing room, they would cut to a reaction shot before the take would be flubbed. Columbus admitted that because of that, Sorcerer's Stone is choppier than he would've liked, but it was the only way to cull the best bits from the kids. Now when I watch the film, I can't help but notice how often he cuts to other character's reactions when someone's in the middle of a line. Perhaps footage like the extended Mirror of Erised and the house hourglasses weren't shown because they didn't have enough workable material for those scenes.

Oh, and Columbus also revealed that his initial cut of Sorcerer's Stone was three hours, and judging by the behind-the-scenes footage, I believe him. It seems like almost every scene in the finished film had lines cut out, and I even noticed an alternate version of the letter burning scene. In there, Vernon burns the letters in the kitchen, not the fireplace, and he locks the hallway door so that Harry's on the other side banging on it and shouting, "Give me my letters!" Even if the material's not very good, I would've like to have seen all this included as supplements.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Cover art's been revealed for Ultimate Editions 3 and 4.

Courtesy of Mugglenet:

My only nitpicks are that the GoF has a different bottom, and they put the dragon on the bottom portion of PoA.

Also, they're using the photos from the old releases, something which I dont like as much as the changed covers from the first 2 films.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

lol, seriously, just look a few posts above you...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Shit! :lol:

Well, I knew about them, like, 3 days ago anyway.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix (formerly DVDTimes) has an announcement for the Ultimate Editions of Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire:
  • Warner Home Video have announced the US ‘Ultimate Edition’ DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases of the third and fourth Harry Potter films. Arriving on 19th October 2010, each Ultimate Edition features a new chapter of “Creating the World of Harry Potter”, an 8-hour documentary series with never-before-seen footage and an insider look behind the films.

Unlike the Ultimate Editions for the first two films, there are no extended cuts here. (Scaps note: bold and italic is mine) Instead each three-disc set contains the theatrical version of the movie (Disc 1), a chapter from the “Creating the World of Harry Potter” documentary series (Disc 2), and the extras found on the standard 2-disc sets (Disc 3). Also included are collectibles such as a book featuring over 40 pages of movie stills, production sketches, concept paintings and behind-the-scenes insight. The Ultimate Editions also feature collectible character cards and a bonus Digital Copy of the film.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Ultimate Edition Contents:
    Disc 1: The Movie

Disc 2: ALL NEW Special Features: Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 3: Creatures and featurette – Tour Nick Dudman’s Creature Shop
    -Plus the following:
    An Interview in Spanish with Alfonso Cuarón
    3 Vintage TV Specials: The Magic Touch of Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Making of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Theatrical Trailers

Disc 3: Additional Special Features: Featurettes – Creating the Vision: an interview with J.K. Rowling and the filmmakers, Conjuring a Scene: Creating Buckbeak and the Dementors for the screen; Additional Scenes and more

48-Page Creatures Photo Book

Two Collectible Character Cards: Hermione Granger, Sirius Black

Year 3 Lenticular Card

Bonus Digital Copy of the Theatrical Film

Blu-ray Ultimate Edition Includes BD-Live Interactivity

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Ultimate Edition Contents:
    Disc 1: The Movie
    BD Only: In-Movie Experience: Join Members of the Cast As They Share Memorable Moments, Personal Perspectives and Fun Facts While Watching the Movie!

Disc 2: ALL NEW Special Feature: Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 4: Sound & Music
    -Plus 5 Vintage TV Specials: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Behind the Magic; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Dark Matters, New Masters; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Some Animal Magic; Inside Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Disc 3: Additional Special Features: Featurettes – Preparing for the Yule Ball; conversations with the Cast; Reflections on the Fourth Film; and more

44-Page Sound & Music Photo Book

Two Collectible Character Cards: Ronald Weasley, Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody

Year 4 Lenticular Card

Bonus Digital Copy of the Theatrical Film

Blu-ray Ultimate Edition Includes BD-Live Interactivity

SRP is $39.92 on DVD and $49.99 on Blu-ray.

A full synopsis of the documentary chapters included follows…

Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 3: Creatures
    Never-before-seen footage of the Creature Shop! Explore never revealed concept drawings, interviews with creators who describe the quest to create real creatures with emotional power to move the adventure forward. Go behind the scenes with Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as they interact with a marvelous menagerie from magnificent Buckbeak to malevolent Dementors. Watch creatures develop from page to sketch to model to screen. Discover how actors are transformed from humans to rats and werewolves. Witness Voldemort’s evolution from grotesque, infant-like creature to the Darkest Force of all.

Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 4: Sound & Music
    For the first time, discover how musical themes for Harry, Hedwig, Luna and Lord Voldemort define each character’s identity. Learn how sound effects experts create the crunch of footsteps on snow and the whoosh of a flying broomstick. Visit recording studios and see how each composer brings his orchestral vision to the films. Plunge into fun as Daniel gets the sound of underwater. Feel the magic as music is added to a scene, intensifying the emotion and steering the story.
I'm upset that there is no extended versions this time, nor are there Maximum Movie Modes or In-Movie Experiences for the Blu-Ray versions (aside from the IME for Goblet of Fire). Way to be consistent, Warner Bros. :roll:

On the bright side, Prisoner of Azkaban has a new featurette (Tour Nick Dudman’s Creature Shop), and the promotional stuff (from the 1-5 Gift Set bonus disc) are included.

ETA: modified my post to include the promotional featurettes and GoF IME, which were originally not included in the press release listing.

albert
Last edited by Escapay on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I'm holding out on these Ultimate Edition DVDs. While I am a fan of the story and the movies, I'm not like a super-fan (like I am with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Toy Story) so I'm not going out of my way to get every release.

However, when the last two movies come out I'm hoping (and assuming) they'll do some sort of Blu-ray box set of all 8 movies (which is also why I haven't bought any of the HP movies on Blu-ray lol)
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am kind of disappointed by the fact that both Blu-Rays will not have extended versions of the films like the previous two got, but I will still get them when they come out for the features.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...don't extended versions of the movies like already exist though? I mean, while it's hardly extended to the point I imagine most of us would like, the versions aired on ABC family have some deleted scenes shoved in, and we can't even get that? Lame.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

SpringHeelJack wrote:...don't extended versions of the movies like already exist though? I mean, while it's hardly extended to the point I imagine most of us would like, the versions aired on ABC family have some deleted scenes shoved in, and we can't even get that? Lame.
Well, some have probably sold or were planning on selling the former releases, in anticipation for this new "definitive" one.

I'm pissed about this, lol.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

This is absolute bullcrap. I strongly doubt this is a directorial decision. Mike Newell was upset that he had to cut approximately 20 minutes off of Goblet of Fire. He outright said this in an interview shortly after the film was released. I'm going to have go look through TheLeakyCauldron.org's news history and find it, because that's where I had read it. WB is just being lazy. They don't want to pony up the money to finish the effects in Prisoner of Azkaban. I don't know what their excuse is with GoF, though, because based on what I've seen, the effects were completed before that film's footage got the axe.

If they don't want to do extended cuts, fine, then give us the raw footage as supplements. They were cut for time, not quality, so it's not like they're hiding anything embarrassing. Why are they being so stingy about this? Either give them to us unfinished as bonus material, or complete the stuff and edit them back in. Are they waiting until all seven years receive Ultimate Editions so they can go back and say, "Hey, here are the REALLY Ultimate Editions with never-before-been footage!" They don't even have the decency to give us the already-released scenes in their proper context ala the ABC Family cuts (though PoA only had a whopping two scenes put back in since the others were either unfinished or directly referenced OTHER scenes we still haven't seen, yet).

And what the heck is up with them not having In-Movie Experience tracks? They couldn't have at least brought in the one done for GoF's HD-DVD that was hosted by the Phelps twins? Where are the trailers and TV spots? Where are the TV specials? A lot less effort seems to have gone into these than on SS and CoS.

Will I still be buying these? Yes, because: a) I don't own years 3-5 on BD, only DVD, and b) I want the new supplements. Will I remain frustrated at this missed opportunity? Yes. I suppose there's still hope for OotP and HBP, but my expectations have hit rock bottom.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I will wait to buy definitve editions of the Blu ray until all 8 films are into a box set which sadly I can see WB doing what you said DisneyKid....it's something we all know as milking the harry cash cow now for while its big big big....because Twilight which is their other book success (depends what you call success) but its' their big money maker so I can see why they'll end Harry Potter in 2011 but Twilight won't be done until 2012.....I am suprised they havn't released ultimate editions of the the Twilight Filims...although I imagine that wll be coming...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Isnt Twilight Summit Entertainment.

edit: and because the EEs exist, I'd take that news with a grain of salt until WB says it themselves.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

ajmrowland wrote: and because the EEs exist, I'd take that news with a grain of salt until WB says it themselves.
Well, they verified it with Bill Hunt from TheDigitalBits...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

In slightly better news, the press release has been updated to include all of the TV specials from PoA and GoF, trailers for PoA, and the In-Movie Experience for GoF:

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... tober.html

Now if we can add trailers for GoF and TV spots for both, I'll be completely satisfied from a supplemental point of view (though still disappointed at the lack of extended cuts).
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ajmrowland wrote:Isnt Twilight Summit Entertainment.

Yeah...but I thought Summit is to WB as Touchstone/Miramax was/is to Disney

Because Wb pushed harry potter 6 to the summer they decided to release the first Twilight in its slot???
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:Isnt Twilight Summit Entertainment.

Yeah...but I thought Summit is to WB as Touchstone/Miramax was/is to Disney

Because Wb pushed harry potter 6 to the summer they decided to release the first Twilight in its slot???
Nope, no relation between WB and Summit.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Disneykid wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: and because the EEs exist, I'd take that news with a grain of salt until WB says it themselves.
Well, they verified it with Bill Hunt from TheDigitalBits...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

In slightly better news, the press release has been updated to include all of the TV specials from PoA and GoF, trailers for PoA, and the In-Movie Experience for GoF:

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... tober.html
Awesome. I'll update my original post!
Disneykid wrote:Now if we can add trailers for GoF and TV spots for both, I'll be completely satisfied from a supplemental point of view (though still disappointed at the lack of extended cuts).
Ditto. I love the trailer for Goblet of Fire that is already included, but would love to see the additional ones too.

BTW, disneyboy, WB owns New Line Cinema, which is probably the studio you were thinking of.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Escapay wrote:
Disneykid wrote:Now if we can add trailers for GoF and TV spots for both, I'll be completely satisfied from a supplemental point of view (though still disappointed at the lack of extended cuts).
Ditto. I love the trailer for Goblet of Fire that is already included, but would love to see the additional ones too.
Good news. Someone on Blu-ray.com's forums confirmed that GoF will have both the teaser and theatrical trailer on disc two with the new supplements just like PoA. Still no TV spots for either, but I'm at least grateful for the trailers and TV specials. These releases feel more complete, now, even if promotional stuff may seem a waste of space to some people.