Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Maerj wrote:But I can live with a couple of seconds of that sort of thing in exchange for getting this on Bluray. The review makes it sound pretty good but I wanted to get this anyway. I'd rather not have those changes but if that's it, well, it could have been worse.
Now, if only the purists would get past those alterations. I mean, George Lucas- I think- said so himself that the original movies wouldn't be on the Blu-ray!
Barbossa wrote:Overall I was disappointed in the initial DVD release because there was a lack of bonus features on the 4th disc.
You're kidding, right? The fourth/bonus disc was FILLED with featurettes, including a sneak peek at Episode III. :roll:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Well, that said, it would still be nice to have one more Bluray set. On it should be the original versions. Now I think after watching them most will have to admit that *some* tweaking was needed. Which is why, if a set like this would be released, it should also contain Special Editions of the OT in which the only changes are special effects fixes. Just little subtle fixes.

A set like this would be good for purists who want to have the unaltered versions but would also have cleaned up version so that they could be watched as they were intended to be seen at the time. Same movies, only not matte lines and all the little nit picky things fixed. No Vader 'No's no CG Jabba scene, etc.

On a side note, I may get this set tonight at Wal Mart and get the Boba Fett poster. I get up at 5 am but I would have the set and could come home from work and watch it right away. Hmmmm...
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

DisneyJedi wrote:You're kidding, right? The fourth/bonus disc was FILLED with featurettes, including a sneak peek at Episode III. :roll:
No, not kidding. The big behind the scenes feature about the whole trilogy (Empire of Dreams) was good, however, I remember seeing on TV an old behind-the-scenes special about Empire Strikes Back which was really well done (done sometime in the 80s) and it was not included. How about the deleted scenes? Not included? How about the Holiday Special as an Easter Egg? Not iincluded.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I think George Lucas would rather gouge his eyes out than put the Star Wars Holiday Special onto the Blu-ray set, let alone acknowledge that it exists.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

DisneyJedi wrote:I think George Lucas would rather gouge his eyes out than put the Star Wars Holiday Special onto the Blu-ray set, let alone acknowledge that it exists.
Oh he'll talk about it. Just quickly with hate in his eyes before moving on.

-Skyler
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

If he hated it so much, then why did he make it in the first place? :?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Maerj wrote: Plus look on the bright side, Empire didn't get any alterations.
Don't give him any ideas....that guy has enough :brick:

Also as to another Blu ray set. It will probably be in 3D blu ray...... :headshake:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Also as to another Blu ray set. It will probably be in 3D blu ray...... :headshake:
No. Before he releases the 3D edition, due to fanboy demand, he'll release the original trilogy in it's unaltered version with the tag line "The original theatrical trilogy available for the last time on Blu-Ray"
:roll:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Barbossa wrote:I'm undecided on purchasing this set. I know it will be cheaper during this initial release week, but then they'll jack it up for the x-mas season.

Has anyone heard the sound quality, particularly of Episode IV? I remember Episode IV still sounding bad when the initial DVD set came out. Overall I was disappointed in the initial DVD release because there was a lack of bonus features on the 4th disc.
The audio has gotten great reviews on all 6 movies. Its a mixed bag on the picture quality based on reviews/peoples opinions. Some say DNR was used a lot on Episode I, but it still looks a lot better than the DVD transfer. Anyway from what I've read, and the screen shots I've seen, it looks like an overall great set. At least its the best the movies have looked on any type of non-theatrical release.

Vader's no... nooo in Jedi is awful. It changes the entire mood of the scene that's worked perfect since 1983. I think that's why there is a big fuss about it. Its similar to how Greedo shooting first ruins the Han/Greedo scene (Han shot Greedo establishing his character, but with Greedo shooting it makes it look like Han just got lucky that day.). Although I'll take the Han/Greedo update over the new Vader update any day.

As far as the Holiday Special... Part of it is on the Complete Saga set. The complete Boba Fett cartoon is on there. I've read that the 3D theatrical releases depend on how well they do at the box office. So if The Phantom Menace doesn't do well next year, we may not get the others. At least in the theater. That might be a rumor though, but that's what I've read recently.

Anyway I'm sure the set will be cheaper eventually, so I'm waiting. Who knows it may end up like the Alien Anthology last year. It was a lot cheaper to import it from the UK than to buy the US edition (Star Wars is region free too).
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

DisneyJedi wrote:If he hated it so much, then why did he make it in the first place? :?
He didn't make it. He was not there. He just said 'ok sure' not thinking about it becoming a variety show and then the CBS people made it.

-Skyler
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Barbossa wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:Also as to another Blu ray set. It will probably be in 3D blu ray...... :headshake:
No. Before he releases the 3D edition, due to fanboy demand, he'll release the original trilogy in it's unaltered version with the tag line "The original theatrical trilogy available for the last time on Blu-Ray"
:roll:
Don't give him anymore ideas.....he has enough already.

The Main Change that really irks me the most is the noooo vader in Return of the Jedi......or maybe screaming nooo in movies is a the newest fad. At least they didn't hire the guy who started that fad to use to make vader scream no no. Below is that guy who started this fad who tempted Lucas

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8IXCK1EyP4s" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I broke down and bought the set, mainly for the three discs of features (and also to spite the whining fanboys). I have not watched any of the movies yet, but I bet they are going to look great. I got the set at Target which came with the lithographs.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Barbossa wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:You're kidding, right? The fourth/bonus disc was FILLED with featurettes, including a sneak peek at Episode III. :roll:
No, not kidding. The big behind the scenes feature about the whole trilogy (Empire of Dreams) was good, however, I remember seeing on TV an old behind-the-scenes special about Empire Strikes Back which was really well done (done sometime in the 80s) and it was not included. How about the deleted scenes? Not included? How about the Holiday Special as an Easter Egg? Not iincluded.
No, I agree with this. While "Empire of Dreams" was solid, there really wasn't a lot else that was all that interesting to me. Sneak peeks do jack crap for me because they're going to be entirely pointless and wasted space a few months down the line. I too was disappointed in the lack of deleted scenes. Frankly, aside from the niceness of having them on a digital format, the DVD releases were pretty underwhelming and poorly handled, especially when compared to the still-excellent-by-today's-standards two-disc prequel DVDs.

Anyhow, I got my saga at Best Buy, partly because it was closest to me and because I like the T-shirt better than the lithographs or whatever Target had. I've only poked around the discs so far, but I will say "The Phantom Menace" looks better than I would have hoped given the over-judicious use of DNR. Also the CGI Yoda works much better for me than the puppet did.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I am in love with "Star Wars" again. I have been watching my new Blu-ray edition since about 1:15 a.m., after going to Best Buy and having to wait in line to make my purchase.

The picture is absolutely amazing, and gives you the feeling you can reach in and touch it. The sound is mind-boggling, and I am so happy that I can finally say that I have what George Lucas intended, in my possession.

Watching the extras and they are really good. The third bonus disc was the first thing we watched because of the "Spoofs" segment which runs over an hour and a half, but does NOT include "Hardware Wars", which I was hoping for sure would be included. The first thing you get is "Weird Al" Yankovic doing "The Saga Begins" and we get segments from Saturday Night Live", Robot Chicken, How I Met Your Mother, That 70's Show, Various Star Wars themed commercials. All in all it is really good selection, but I was hoping that the capper on it would be "Hardware Wars".

The Darth Vader "NO....Noooooooo!!!!" isn't as obtrusive as one might think when it is taken out of context. I hardly noticed it, but then I don't notice a lot of the changes because I think the Lucas did a great job of updating the special effects to keep up with today's market, and also to complete his dream of the perfect Fantasy/Adventure series.

Going to finish the rest of the Bonus Discs over the next couple of days, but we have watched all six movies, and the "Spoofs" and are going to now watch "LEGO Star Wars: The Patawan Menace", which also came out today and is only available at Wal-Mart.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

dvdjunkie wrote:Watching the extras and they are really good. The third bonus disc was the first thing we watched because of the "Spoofs" segment which runs over an hour and a half, but does NOT include "Hardware Wars", which I was hoping for sure would be included. The first thing you get is "Weird Al" Yankovic doing "The Saga Begins" and we get segments from Saturday Night Live", Robot Chicken, How I Met Your Mother, That 70's Show, Various Star Wars themed commercials. All in all it is really good selection, but I was hoping that the capper on it would be "Hardware Wars".
I read they put Chad Vader on there. Is he singing Chocolate Rain?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P6dUCOS1bM0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

DisneyJedi wrote:Really, the purists are kind of annoying me. Canceling a pre-order over the matter of a few itty-bitty changes is.... well....

To put it bluntly, that's just as pathetic of an excuse as refusing to buy Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray, over the matter that its colors aren't 100% "accurate" to those of the theatrical/VHS release. Even though the Blu-ray's colors are at least CLOSER to the theatrical release's than the original DVD was.

God, it's purists like the ones who won't stop bitching and moaning over some tiny bite-sized changes that make me embarrassed to share the same fandom as them. :evil:
Really now, I take that as a personally attack, as I’ve made my position clear on both issues. One could make the argument that bitching about people bitching is just redundant, as contentious statements like the above are likely to worsen the situation.
ajmrowland wrote:if they arent going to complain to his face, they have no right to complain at all. :angry:
Not everyone can just approach George Lucas and lay out their displeasure with his antics. Trust me, EVERY single person who's upset with his unwillingness to release the original Star Wars trilogy would speak up if given the chance. Regardless, we all have the right to complain, free speech and all (pesky little constitution).
DisneyJedi wrote:Well, needless to say, the ones who are wanting to boycotting the new release....

Well, I'm sorry, but those complainers need to GROW UP!
Please quite attacking me. I have the right to complain, as do you. Since we live in a free market society, letters/protest videos/petitions are all pointless and boycotting is literally the only way you'd ever get his attention. While I don't see it doing much good, what you need to realize is that many of these fans already own multiple releases of the trilogy and can live without the Blu-rays.

Also, if anyone needs to grow up, it’s Lucas, who’s withholding the movies for his own selfish reasons.
DisneyJedi wrote:Now, if only the purists would get past those alterations. I mean, George Lucas- I think- said so himself that the original movies wouldn't be on the Blu-ray!
I'm not sure what has brought on this vendetta or if I fully understand you're obsession with fans simply expressing their displeasure? You have complained more about the 'purists' and their 'bitching' then any purist on this forum has about the set.

Also, Lucas said the same thing back when the DVD’s came out. Two years later, he caved and released the original trilogy untouched (although he simply ported the LaserDisc transfers, non-anamorphic). If he feels he can make enough money off it, I expect him to cave once again and give us the Blus.
Maerj wrote:Well, that said, it would still be nice to have one more Bluray set. On it should be the original versions. Now I think after watching them most will have to admit that *some* tweaking was needed. Which is why, if a set like this would be released, it should also contain Special Editions of the OT in which the only changes are special effects fixes. Just little subtle fixes.

A set like this would be good for purists who want to have the unaltered versions but would also have cleaned up version so that they could be watched as they were intended to be seen at the time. Same movies, only not matte lines and all the little nit picky things fixed. No Vader 'No's no CG Jabba scene, etc.
You mean Star Wars: Revisited (the Purist edition)? Adywan has already done this but it's unfortunately hard to come by.
DisneyJedi wrote: If he hated it so much, then why did he make it in the first place?
Money. It was aimed at children specifically to sell merchandise, same with ROtJ and the prequel trilogy.
Last edited by jpanimation on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Barbossa wrote:
I read they put Chad Vader on there. Is he singing Chocolate Rain?
No thankfully. They only use one little segment of the Chad Vader stuff, which I think was amazing. Lots of Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and That 70's Show and a lot of other stuff though.

Worth every penny I paid, which by the way using my Gift Certificates only cost me $48.13, out the door, at 12:30 a.m. this morning.

Gonna go catch a little nap, because I was just told that "Clone Wars" starts their fourth season tonight!!!
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

jpanimation wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:Really, the purists are kind of annoying me. Canceling a pre-order over the matter of a few itty-bitty changes is.... well....

To put it bluntly, that's just as pathetic of an excuse as refusing to buy Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray, over the matter that its colors aren't 100% "accurate" to those of the theatrical/VHS release. Even though the Blu-ray's colors are at least CLOSER to the theatrical release's than the original DVD was.

God, it's purists like the ones who won't stop bitching and moaning over some tiny bite-sized changes that make me embarrassed to share the same fandom as them. :evil:
Really now, I take that as a personally attack, as I’ve made my position clear on both issues. One could make the argument that bitching about people bitching is just redundant, as contentious statements like the above are likely to worsen the situation.
ajmrowland wrote:if they arent going to complain to his face, they have no right to complain at all. :angry:
Not everyone can just approach George Lucas and lay out their displeasure with his antics. Trust me, EVERY single person who's upset with his unwillingness to release the original Star Wars trilogy would speak up if given the chance. Regardless, we all have the right to complain, free speech and all (pesky little constitution).
DisneyJedi wrote:Well, needless to say, the ones who are wanting to boycotting the new release....

Well, I'm sorry, but those complainers need to GROW UP!
Please quite attacking me. I have the right to complain, as do you. Since we live in a free market society, letters/protest videos/petitions are all pointless and boycotting is literally the only way you'd ever get his attention. While I don't see it doing much good, what you need to realize is that many of these fans already own multiple releases of the trilogy and can live without the Blu-rays.

Also, if anyone needs to grow up, it’s Lucas, who’s withholding the movies for his own selfish reasons.
DisneyJedi wrote:Now, if only the purists would get past those alterations. I mean, George Lucas- I think- said so himself that the original movies wouldn't be on the Blu-ray!
I'm not sure what has brought on this vendetta or if I fully understand you're obsession with fans simply expressing their displeasure? You have complained more about the 'purists' and their 'bitching' then any purist on this forum has about the set.

Also, Lucas said the same thing back when the DVD’s came out. Two years later, he caved and released the original trilogy untouched (although he simply ported the LaserDisc transfers, non-anamorphic). If he feels he can make enough money off it, I expect him to cave once again and give us the Blus.
Maerj wrote:Well, that said, it would still be nice to have one more Bluray set. On it should be the original versions. Now I think after watching them most will have to admit that *some* tweaking was needed. Which is why, if a set like this would be released, it should also contain Special Editions of the OT in which the only changes are special effects fixes. Just little subtle fixes.

You mean Star Wars: Revisited (the Purist edition)? Adywan has already done this but it's unfortunately hard to come by.
DisneyJedi wrote: If he hated it so much, then why did he make it in the first place?
Money. It was aimed at children specifically to sell merchandise, same with ROtJ and the prequel trilogy.
He always made these films with 'young people' in mind. He even consulted with child psychologists on Empire to make sure kids wouldn't be traumatized by it.

He helped to come up with the general idea for the Holiday Special but yeah, he left the actual production to others. Plus it was only meant to be an hour long but CBS wanted it to be longer. So it got padded out with a bunch of odd musical numbers. At least the cartoon part made it to the bluray as an easter egg.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I just finished watching Episode IV: A New Hope ten minutes ago, and I gotta say...

I've seen the movie thousands of times on VHS, and about a hundred thousand more on DVD, and I'll tell you what. Watching it on Blu-ray.... How do I put it...?

It felt like I was watching the movie for the very first time. Simple as that. :)
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Maerj wrote:He always made these films with 'young people' in mind. He even consulted with child psychologists on Empire to make sure kids wouldn't be traumatized by it.
Well someone forgot to give director Irvin Kershner the memo, as he opted to make it the most mature entry in the series.

Anyways, I just saw some comparisons between the HD broadcasts and the Blu-ray. Not much difference at all, if any, so I think I'll opt out the Blu-ray and just keep the HD recordings on my DVR until Adywan's next batch is ready.