Iron Man: Which Set to Get?

All topics on all things Marvel.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

It's not really that I'm choosing not to be friends with girls... it's more along the lines of them not wanting to be friends with me :oops:

I have a couple girls who I talk to, but wouldn't asking them to see a movie with me be kinda like dating? LOL

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Iron Man Blu-Ray

Post by drfsupercenter »

So, earlier this week my PS3 came. I finally nagged my parents into getting one for our HDTV.

As for the whole "Blu-Ray experience"... I honestly think it depends on the movie. I rented The Terminator just to see what it would look like, and it looks like an upscaled DVD (it was shot on cheap film, after all)
I also own Transformers on Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD, that one had DRM/HDCP issues so I caved and bought the Blu-Ray version) and Terminator 2.

T2 looks the same from my couch as the DVD. So like I said, it really depends on the movie... some look the same as the DVDs, others look better.

Well, Iron Man, to me, was one that looked better. Based on the one I rented.
So I figured, it would make sense to buy it... Though I know Iron Man had about a million different sets based on where you buy it (I ended up getting the Steelbook DVD from FYE)

Does anyone know if the Blu-Ray also has different versions? Or is it just "one size fits all" for that release?

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Savages (Uncensored)
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

There was a Blu-ray steelbook, but it wasn't a US release. Best Buy had it packaged with a Iron Man bust, and Target had the mask package for the Blu-ray (Target has these for $19.99 now at some stores).
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Hmm, well I hate the Target packaging, I actually avoided that DVD version for that reason. I like their bonus discs, but I just can't stand the non-box packaging for The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, etc.

And eh, I don't care about a bust.

By non-US... that means it won't play in my PS3? Or would it? I know European Blu-Rays will work with American systems if they don't have region coding - and a lot don't. (I ordered one of the 80s animated Transformers movie as it's UK-only but all reviews say it works on American players)

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The Blu-ray steelbook was from Future Shop, so it should play on the PS3.

I picked up the Target mask set back when it was released, and I don't blame you for skipping it. It looks ok on the shelf, but I don't think it will hold up over time. I've already put the discs in a different case to save wear and tear on the plastic mask.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Well, really, those non-rectangular cases just don't work right in a shelf. And they also have virtually no paper whatsoever... I like the actual box art and chapter listings (if the companies haven't gone cheap yet!)

What's Future Shop, a European store? I guess the issue would just be region coding, since Europe is a different region. But I heard a great number of European Blu-Rays don't even have regions.

What's different with the Steelbook Blu-Ray, anyway? Is it like the DVD one where the discs have actual art? (The ones I got from Blockbuster are just boring white and blue - Does Paramount have something against using colors now? The past few movies I've gotten from them are BORING labelwise)
Or does it have any additional/missing features?

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Future Shop is in Canada, so it will be the same region as the US.

Not sure on the disc art, but the Blu-ray steelbook art looks identical to the DVD one. It has a blue Blu-ray bar across the top. That's the only difference. Its the same discs as the normal Blu-ray edition, so no additional bonus features.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Oh, Future Shop was one of the places that sold those Steelbooks?

I guess here in America, F.Y.E. only had the DVD Steelbook.

Now, I gotta see what the normal BR case looks like, it might not be that bad. I just hated the 2-disc DVD packaging, I thought it looked flimsy and cheap. (The art is nice, but the grey discs are not)

--EDIT--

Appears the Blu-Ray Steelbook has the same disc artwork as the DVDs. Also, the normal Blu-Ray is the same packaging as the DVD... that being the big artwork with a slip-cover that says virtually nothing about the actual movie. (I wonder where my Blockbuster rental got its cover from then? Maybe they were specially printed ones for rentals?)

I guess given the artwork I've seen, I'll try to find that Steelbook. Plus, I'm not too fond of the smallish Blu-Ray cases (especially the ones with two discs where the insert goes over the disc!)... and the Steelbook (at least from what I can tell) is the same size as a standard DVD case.

--EDIT 2--

Argh, apparently the Blu-Ray Steelbook is the same size as a normal Blu-Ray. Someone at the BR forum actually said it's annoying as it can scratch your discs since they overlap. I wish there was just a once-and-for-all good set... not these stupid shoddy packaging with marketing gimmicks. :roll:

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
Thailog

Post by Thailog »

drfsupercenter, check your IMDB pms.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

LOL, you realize there's a private messaging feature on this forum too, right? :lol:

And I actually get emails saying when I have one vs. IMdB which I'm too lazy to check 20 times a day.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)