Epic Mickey

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

Epic Mickey

Post by 2099net »

Alas, not Phil Spector. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=180324
Eurogamer wrote:Deus Ex creator Warren Spector has said his Junction Point team is working with Disney Feature Animation and Pixar on a new project.

"My team and I have been working hard on our own and in collaboration with folks from Disney Feature Animation and Pixar. If I say any more, I'll get in trouble, so let's just leave it at that," said Spector on his blog.

Disney acquired the studio last July with an eye to making fresh IP and adapting existing Disney brands for console.
There's a little more if you follow the link, but I think that there's enough there that I've quoted.

You see, he's being very coy on the subject of the game (or project if you prefer to use their lingo), and I suspect this is because it will be a Kingdom Hearts style mismash of various Feature Animation and Pixar characters crossing over rather than a game of one single film. What do you think?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I hope it comes out for Wii.

I never owned a playstation (and have no interest in a PS3), so I havent played a Kingdom Hearts game yet.

But I guess with the current sales of Nintendo and Xbox versus Playstation I'd say such a game will be a no-brainer for wii.

I say bring it on!

and thanks for sharing, Netty.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

That whould be neat :D.
Pixar can be great,I think that Pixar worlds are better for this game then Kingdom Hearts (A only Pixar Kingdom Hearts like game can be great,the Princesses have the Kilala Princess Manga and the Enchanted Journey and Royal Adventure videogames).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

More news on the (non-Phil) Spector Disney game (which now no-longer appears to be Pixar based... unless of course more than one game is in the works).

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/12/2 ... ic-mickey/
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I've been excited about this ever since I first heard about it!

Cities made from junk? WALL-E, much?

Perhaps just because it's called 'Epic Mickey' doesn't mean Pixar wont drop in.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Warren Spector's Epic Mickey Videogame Project

Post by pap64 »

A friend of mine showed me these very interesting sketches that are apparently from an upcoming Disney videogame.

The game is apparently being made by Warren Spector, known for his work on Deus Ex. He became a Disney Interactive employee a few years back and was working on an epic Disney game akin to Kingdom Hearts.

Someone has found what appears to be sketches and concept art for this game. I state once more that these are RUMORED to be part of the game, and I think its rumors because Disney would never allow this to be part of a Disney game...

http://web.mac.com/askbotboy/Site/Chara ... res_6.html

http://web.mac.com/askbotboy/Site/Chara ... res_5.html

I admit the pictures have me intrigued as to what kind of game Warren Spector could make with the Disney franchise. But I think that if these were real Disney would reject them in a heartbeat.

So what do you guys think?
Last edited by pap64 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Aww, one of the robots has Mickey ears! :earsguy:
Some of the designs are a little more cutesy than the others. I'm not much of a gamer, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Thanks for the links, Amy! That was a fantastic find!

I changed the name of the title so it made more sense and since we already have some info on the images.
ImageImageImageImage

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

While I'm ecstatic and love steam punk and Disney, why can't there be a Disney game where all the characters crossover that's just a normal adventure game?

First Kingdom Hearts and now this.

Remember "The Search For Mickey Mouse"? Why not make that a video game, instead, and using characters from the current 51 'canon' films, the Pixar library, and the hybrids, make it a regular adventure game - no dark twists or anything.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Neal wrote:While I'm ecstatic and love steam punk and Disney, why can't there be a Disney game where all the characters crossover that's just a normal adventure game?

First Kingdom Hearts and now this.

Remember "The Search For Mickey Mouse"? Why not make that a video game, instead, and using characters from the current 51 'canon' films, the Pixar library, and the hybrids, make it a regular adventure game - no dark twists or anything.
This is why I want to see how much of this game gets approved by Disney. I read that Disney was extremely strict as to how the Disney universes were presented and how the characters crossed over.

If they were strict on a game that pretty much celebrates their history what about a game that creates a dystopian vision of the Magic Kingdom?
ImageImageImageImage

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Originally Mickey was supposed to wield a chainsaw, not a key, in Kingdom Hearts. Disney said no. Did you know that?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Neal wrote:Originally Mickey was supposed to wield a chainsaw, not a key, in Kingdom Hearts. Disney said no. Did you know that?
Did you know that the game's director originally wanted to have Walt Disney appear in the game?

The story behind Kingdom Hearts is an interesting one. It was going to be about the Disney Princes rescuing the Princesses and that was pretty much it. But then they decided to make the game aimed towards the Final Fantasy fans and thus its the game we have now.
ImageImageImageImage

Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Nope, didn't know they wanted Walt in it.

I have nothing wrong with Kingdom Hearts, it just seems it has quickly become a Final Fantasy game over a Disney game.
Disney Duster

Epic Mickey Game

Post by Disney Duster »

pap64 wrote:The story behind Kingdom Hearts is an interesting one. It was going to be about the Disney Princes rescuing the Princesses and that was pretty much it. But then they decided to make the game aimed towards the Final Fantasy fans and thus its the game we have now.
I WISH THAT WAS THE REAL GAME!

Oh well...

I LOVE LOVE LOBSTER LOVE this Epic Mickey game from seeing the sketches! HOLY CRAP it's so IMAGINATIVE and ORIGINAL and AWESOME!!!!

Oh I hope Disney passes it!!!!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

pap64 wrote: I think its rumors because Disney would never allow this to be part of a Disney game...

I admit the pictures have me intrigued as to what kind of game Warren Spector could make with the Disney franchise. But I think that if these were real Disney would reject them in a heartbeat.
?
Yea Disney executives can be such assholes and worrywarts about their money and image. That's major down side to disney company. It has this retarded image standard it must abide by, limiting the stuff they could do like this game.
pap64 wrote: I read that Disney was extremely strict as to how the Disney universes were presented and how the characters crossed over.
Yea, That's another odd and lame thing tthey do. I don't see Warner brothers doing this with their DC comic properties and looney Toons.

Neal wrote:Originally Mickey was supposed to wield a chainsaw, not a key, in Kingdom Hearts. Disney said no. Did you know that?
That would be mad awesome. Disney's such big pussies.
pap64 wrote:
Did you know that the game's director originally wanted to have Walt Disney appear in the game?

The story behind Kingdom Hearts is an interesting one. It was going to be about the Disney Princes rescuing the Princesses and that was pretty much it. But then they decided to make the game aimed towards the Final Fantasy fans and thus its the game we have now.
As awesome as Walt Disney being in the game and kicking ass would be, I can understand and agree not to have him in.

As for story, As cliche and typical the story is, at least we get some damn good focus on the Disney cast and not these shitty FF wannabe/ anime cliche pretty boys running around or FF stuff appearing.
Neal wrote:
I have nothing wrong with Kingdom Hearts, it just seems it has quickly become a Final Fantasy game over a Disney game.
Yea it's definitely became a FF game. Especially if you see the overload of spinoff they are producing
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I'm not gonna lie to you. The concept art totally SCARES me! 8(
Disney's Divinity

Re: Epic Mickey Game

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote:
pap64 wrote:The story behind Kingdom Hearts is an interesting one. It was going to be about the Disney Princes rescuing the Princesses and that was pretty much it. But then they decided to make the game aimed towards the Final Fantasy fans and thus its the game we have now.
I WISH THAT WAS THE REAL GAME!
Yes, it does sound nice. But I still liked the first game the way it was. The sequel, imo, is where the series turned into more of a Final Fantasy to me. I liked Riku, Sora and even Kairi a lot more than I like Mickey Mouse or Minne. Or any of the Princes for that matter (except maybe Aladdin).
Super Aurora wrote:
pap64 wrote:I read that Disney was extremely strict as to how the Disney universes were presented and how the characters crossed over.

Yea, That's another odd and lame thing tthey do. I don't see Warner brothers doing this with their DC comic properties and looney Toons.
That's right. Disney only wants to screw up their characters themselves--nobody else has that right.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:More info, with lots of pictures:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 94738.html

(source links here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/spect ... ey-for-wii )
Thanks for showing that to us. I love the beautiful concept art. It looks really epic.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

DisneyJedi wrote:I'm not gonna lie to you. The concept art totally SCARES me! 8(
I have to agree. :oops: The one picture in the link that Amy posted with the gigantor 7 dwarf monster robots crawling out of the ocean with giant mickey hands grabbing at the b&w Disney characters is probably going to give me nightmares.

And the Spaceship Earth and Tower of Terror on the back of a whale was hauntingly innovative. I can't imagine seeing Spaceship Earth in ruins in real life! Now that's a real nightmare!
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>