Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection

Post by Barbossa »

So, who's picking up the new set of Indiana Jones on DVD?

I might. I got the original DVD set that came out in 2003. I just completed my Young Indiana Jones DVD collection with Volume 3. I'm curious to see the new featurettes.

Future Shop has a steelbook case coming out for the set. Here's the link on their website:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=14720#
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Re: Indiana Jones, back on DVD

Post by jrboy »

Barbossa wrote:Future Shop has a steelbook case coming out for the set. Here's the link on their website:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=14720#
To bad they don't ship to the US, I'll have to ebay it later when I get some $$$
DisneyLover27
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyLover27 »

I dont wanna feel stupid here but what is a Steelbook and whats the Difference from a Steelbook compared to a DVD? :(

thanks
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

A steelbook is nothing more than a metal case that holds the disc, R1 steebooks first started in canada and has spread throughout the us the past few years, with some sell for over $250. All in all, it just a dvd case, but I love them.

Image Image

Image Image
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I have the 2003 set and am totally hppy with that, so I won't double-dip.
And I don't like steelbooks :D .
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

jrboy wrote:A steelbook is nothing more than a metal case that holds the disc, R1 steebooks first started in canada
I thought it started in the US with Dune: Extended Edition, which was released in January 2006. :?

Anyway, I've got the 2003 set, and as much as I love Indy Jones, I'm not gonna rebuy the movies just for some new covers and slimcases, a collected 90 minutes of okay-but-not-necessary extras (though I'm a bit mad that the storyboards and galleries aren't on the 2003 DVDs), and ugly gray discs (damn you, Paramount, for getting cheap!).

Of course, there will likely be some super mega collection of Indy Jones by Christmas 2008 with all four movies and the Young Indy series, and maybe, just maybe, those absent-but-we-all-know-they-exist deleted scenes.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

Escapay wrote:
jrboy wrote:A steelbook is nothing more than a metal case that holds the disc, R1 steebooks first started in canada
I thought it started in the US with Dune: Extended Edition, which was released in January 2006. :?
The first pressing of Dune EE was a Viva Metal Box, but newer pressings are now steelbook. Doing some research, and I belive that the first steelbook was Appleseed ( http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... hID=247691 ) which was released in May of 2005.

(^xage, dvdtalk)
and ugly gray discs (damn you, Paramount, for getting cheap!).
agreed, first they drop the insert, then they started using really cheap cases, and now no disc art. Yet they still charge full price :headshake:
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

jrboy wrote:
Escapay wrote: I thought it started in the US with Dune: Extended Edition, which was released in January 2006. :?
The first pressing of Dune EE was a Viva Metal Box, but newer pressings are now steelbook.
Ah, okay. I've got the Viva Metal Box, then (well, I think it is. It' says "Viva" and "Patent Pending" in it!).
jrboy wrote:
and ugly gray discs (damn you, Paramount, for getting cheap!).
agreed, first they drop the insert, then they started using really cheap cases, and now no disc art. Yet they still charge full price :headshake:
I still haven't forgiven Paramount for screwing up the disc art on Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It has an upside-down picture of the Enterprise-B from Generations! :x

And what I find ironic is that some of their TV releases still have disc art, but others don't. While "Beauty and the Beast" has ugly gray discs, "Twin Peaks": Gold Box Edition has beautiful gold-rendered images. Not that I'm complaining, but geez, Paramount be consistent and pick one or the other...

Paramount, Sony, and Universal are probably my least favorite studios when it comes to DVDs.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I don't have any Indy films, so should I buy the new set or the older one?
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I'm going to pick these up, only because I don't own the 2003 set. I think overall the 2003 set is better, but I really like the covers on the 2008 releases.

I was hoping for a Steelbook in the US, but so far it doesn't look like we are getting them.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

PeterPanfan wrote:I don't have any Indy films, so should I buy the new set or the older one?
Neither. There will most likely be a four-movie boxset (or a four-movie + Young Indy megaset) by Christmas 2008. And if you lived 5 years without Indy on DVD, you can likely still wait several more months. :P

But, if you're interested in picking up the trilogy today, it all depends on how you feel about the extras, as some reviews are already stating that the a/v transfer is the same.

Would you rather have a two-hour documentary about the trilogy, four technical featurettes that together run a little under an hour ("Stunts of...", "Music of...", "Sound of...", "Light & Magic of..."), and 6 trailers (the 2003 set) or a combined 90 minutes of bonus material* that cover all three films (the 2008 set)?

Also, another caveat to consider is that the new boxset SRP is $59.99 (with the titles available for $26.99 individually), while the old one (which is still in print and easily available) is $49.99 (with the titles and bonus disc only in the boxset).

The problem, extras-wise, is that the new material is pretty good (image galleries especially, something I wish was in the 2003 set), but not good enough to warrant a double-dip from those happy with the boxset. For new buyers, though, picking this set up doesn't give that great a look at the making of the trilogy as the 2003 one did (even if they're harsher-than-necessary to Temple of Doom).

Albert

*Each film gets a newly-filmed introduction by Lucas & Spielberg, along with two featurettes each, as well as a storyboard-to-film comparison and four image galleries.
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
daydreamer22010
Limited Issue

Post by daydreamer22010 »

Well considering the fact that I do not own the 2003 set, I am going to pick these up ASAP. I need to have an Indy marathon before the 4th movie is released :D
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I have the old set (with the Best Buy Exclusive bonus disc, to boot!)

I don't think I really need to double dip at this point.

On a side note, my brother usually puts on a movie when we go over for birthdays, holidays, etc. The last time we were over, he put on The Last Crusade, even though my mom hasn't seen 1 and 2 yet (and I haven't in a long time.)

He says 3 is his favorite (but then he left the room!) :rolleyes:

Looking back in my list of watched movies, he had shown us The Last Crusade a couple of years ago, too!

:lol:
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I have to agree with the rant over Paramount's new gray disc art. It's ok for SOME titles, like their regular catalogue titles. In some cases, it's even kinda classy, like on the Dreamgirls DVDs. But when I got the Titanic 3-Disc set from the library, the discs had artwork on them, but by the time I got my DVD in the mail last Christmas, it was that effing gray crap. :evil:
-Joey
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Looks like no US Steelbooks. Although it does look like Wal-Mart has an exclusive. Has anyone heard/seen what this is, and is it worth it?
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

DarthPrime wrote:Looks like no US Steelbooks. Although it does look like Wal-Mart has an exclusive. Has anyone heard/seen what this is, and is it worth it?
according to their website, it's a leticular cover.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Well, here's a slightly interesting turn of events...

In the UD review, Kelvin notes...

The disc comes housed in a black slimline case when part of the Adventure Collection and, presumably, a standard black Amaray for the individual release. In a shocking move for Paramount, the disc features full-color artwork rather than the plain gray surface employed in recent years. No insert is included, however.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that I'm not getting the new release, even if I'm dying to see the image galleries. But still, it's interesting that Paramount decided to do artwork!

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

No double dip between the original release and Blu Ray for me.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Saw the Wal-Mart exclusives today, but they were $15 each. I might try to price match them to Circuit City. They looked nice.

Also some more Indy rumors, but here is a page advertising Blu-rays for all 4 movies. The art work is the same as this DVD release, but looks nice.

Hopefully these will come out this year.

http://www.1080b.com/blu-ray/por-fin-la ... lu-ray/49/