Broadway Discussion Series: Wicked

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Anthony
Special Edition

Post by Anthony »

tsom wrote:BTW, the soap opera Passions did a really good parody of Wicked on Friday. Did anyone catch it??
No I missed it! I would have loved to seen it. I searched YouTube, but didn't find anything.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I've only heard one song so far, which is Defying Gravity and I LOVE it. After the second time listening to it I was already singing along (rather badly too since I knew less than half the words :lol: ) and now I sing it all after looking up the lyrics. My neighbors are probably tired of hearing the song now though since it I always crank it up, oh well they think I'm crazy as it is :lol: :lol:
potterrules93
Special Edition

Post by potterrules93 »

I am very very happy..i bought off of evay a set of the OBC playbill from march 04 and a current cast playbill..together for 8.99..that is ith shipping and handeling..if any one would like pics..i would be happy to post pics.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Well my friend just saw Wicked yesterday and brought me a Playbill from the current cast. So that was fun. :D
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Can the song "The Wizard and I (Reprise)" be found anywhere? I looked on YouTube and couldn't find anything, and since it wasn't released on the CD......

Thanks to anyone who can help :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

On video.google.com the entire show has been posted. Just search for it.
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skyler888 »

Dottie wrote:On video.google.com the entire show has been posted. Just search for it.
I tried searching for it, but i didnt find anything. Could u just post the link er something please?
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I've only heard one song so far, which is Defying Gravity and I LOVE it. After the second time listening to it I was already singing along (rather badly too since I knew less than half the words :lol: ) and now I sing it all after looking up the lyrics. My neighbors are probably tired of hearing the song now though since it I always crank it up, oh well they think I'm crazy as it is :lol: :lol:
I sing along too, but when it gets to the part where Elphie flies I grab a broom and jump up on the kitchen chair to belt the rest of the song. My dog enjoys my performance so much she actually stops eating from her bowl to watch.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

skyler888 wrote:
Dottie wrote:On video.google.com the entire show has been posted. Just search for it.
I tried searching for it, but i didnt find anything. Could u just post the link er something please?
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid= ... ed+musical[/url]
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I'd give my arm to see Wicked.

:(

I hope they make a movie version of it.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Anthony
Special Edition

Post by Anthony »

Dottie wrote:
skyler888 wrote: I tried searching for it, but i didnt find anything. Could u just post the link er something please?
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid= ... ed+musical[/url]
On that page there is also a link to see Shoshana Bean's last show. I might be in the minority here, but Bean is the best Elphaba there is. Much better than Menzel.

Thanks for posting Dottie!
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

candydog wrote:
Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I've only heard one song so far, which is Defying Gravity and I LOVE it. After the second time listening to it I was already singing along (rather badly too since I knew less than half the words :lol: ) and now I sing it all after looking up the lyrics. My neighbors are probably tired of hearing the song now though since it I always crank it up, oh well they think I'm crazy as it is :lol: :lol:
I sing along too, but when it gets to the part where Elphie flies I grab a broom and jump up on the kitchen chair to belt the rest of the song. My dog enjoys my performance so much she actually stops eating from her bowl to watch.
I wouldn't dare grab a broom and jump onto a chair at the same time I'm not that co-ordinated just yet :lol::lol: However, my cat always watches me with the "What kind of drugs are you on" look whenever I sing it :lol:
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skyler888 »

Oh I just noticed I just "u" intstead of you, so uh yeah:)
Cierra_Dancer
Limited Issue

Post by Cierra_Dancer »

Anthony wrote:I might be in the minority here, but Bean is the best Elphaba there is. Much better than Menzel.
Have you actually seen Idina live? Have you seen any other Elphaba besides Shoshana live?

How is Shoshana the best Elphaba? I'm just wondering your opinions, I could see how this might sound rude, I'm not trying to be.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Anthony wrote:
tsom wrote:BTW, the soap opera Passions did a really good parody of Wicked on Friday. Did anyone catch it??
No I missed it! I would have loved to seen it. I searched YouTube, but didn't find anything.
is this it?
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=W_nMJqpBc ... ed&search=
i don't follow passions so i dont know for sure.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

supertalies wrote:
Anthony wrote: No I missed it! I would have loved to seen it. I searched YouTube, but didn't find anything.
is this it?
YES! That's it!
Anthony
Special Edition

Post by Anthony »

tsom wrote:
supertalies wrote: is this it?
YES! That's it!
Oh my gosh! That is priceless!! :lol: I love it! All soaps should be musicals!

Thanks for posting Supertalies!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Wicked: A New Musical

Post by Disney Duster »

SpringHeelJacl, read what you said, and you've seen more musicals and are into them more than me, so I may just not have the knowledge to argue with you about who did the themes better. In the end, I just love Wicked for what it does have, even if what it has can be found elsewhere, becuase these days when you realize nothing really knew comes out and originality seems dead, it's about how something is done, and I love the way Wicked does it. With style and music I like, that even emotionaly connects with me.

By the way, as I said in my analysis, I know of Into the Woods. I've been in the show, read a lot on it, and yet I still was able to be impressed by Wicked. So...eh. And I saw a song from Company on the Tony's and didn't really get into it, but maybe it's too smart to me. What we don't understand we find boring, right?

I listened to some Avenue Q stuff and that is pretty good, though it is up front about everything.

Cliched lyrics? Definately for For Good, I don't like that song much, but As Long As Your Mine I find in some spots seldom heard of reflections on love, like making up for lost time, which resonates with me today as I wish I could have been with my current love interest years ago, but now I've missed so many important parts of their life. Sigh.

And yea, the one thing I don't understand about Wicked is why girls love the show about a green girl who wants to fight against a corrupt government. I thought the majority of girls wanted to be the pretty Glinda and just do parties and boys. Maybe Wicked made being interested in politics cool?

Anyway, that Passions Parody just bothers me. Why would the students hold Tabitha up if she's talking about leaving them and not being like them? And the students shouldn't even care. Perfectly Frightful is catchy, but I hate it. And why did Tabitha melt just wehn Esmeralda said she would put make-up on her? If make-up made her melt...the word itself wouldn't do it.

Anyway, my favorite songs from Wicked are in chronological order because it's hard to choose:

No One Mourns the Wicked
Defying Gravity
As Long As Your Mine
No Good Deed

These are the songs that I most emotionally connect with, or I really like the lyrics, or I really like the music, or combinations of those three.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Wicked: A New Musical

Post by Disney Duster »

TheSequelofDisney wrote:Though I have heard most of the Elphie's sing, I cannot completely remember them. I do know, however, that Idina Menzel is my favorite Elphie. She has awesome talent and I believe that she is the best Elphaba. She was the one chosen to play the role, therefore the best for the job. I hate how people keep on saying Bean was perfect for the part and that Idina kept her from playing the role. That makes me upset! Idina was/is the best for the role. Anyway, my favorite Galinda/Glinda is definitely Kristin Chenoweth. She made that role come alive and she was the only person who could have played that role.
Wait a minute, so you haven't seen the show yet...and you heard all the Elphie's sing? Do you mean by audio rips or youtube videos?

Anyway, as for Idina being the only one right for the part, that is only in the opinion of that director, and that was choosing people out of the ones who were able to audition. But other girls may have wanted to audition had they known about it or for whatever reason they didn't. So Idina is not the only one who could play Elphaba, she was considered the best at the time, out of the number of girls who auditioned, by a few people. In fact, some consutlants may not have thought she was the best, but someone higher up decided she was. But she is good, and she might be the best from what I've seen, she just can sing her best all the time.

Anyway, have you seen it yet TheSequelofDisney? What about Simba 3?

And as for those who think Shoshana Bean is the best Elphaba, are you sure it's not just because of the way she plays with the notes and riffs so much? Because some people prefer riffing and singing many notes fast instead of singing fewer notes (the correct, written notes). That doesn't mean she has a voice you like better, she just sings in a way you like better.

And SpringHeelJack, after re-reading your post on the play reading like a book report which doesn't fully understand the original book, are you sure your dislike for the musical isn't majorly made up of it's diversion from the original source? That was my original dislike, but as I re-read some parts of my book again, I kept finding references in the musical back to little parts in the book. I thought the Tin Woodman gave Boq more signifigance than just one of Elphaba's friends, as there were many friends she had in the book and Boq only stuck out as the one who liked Galinda and the one who Elphaba thought she could count on. The musical does something that is, in a way, better than the book: It gives the Tin Woodman a reason for not having a heart, for the Lion not having courage, and some reason for the Scarecrow wanting a brain (so he could be smart like Elphaba, or figured out a better way to handle her situation). Of course some of the point of The Wizard of Oz is that the companions wanted those things but actually had them all along. Even Wicked the book said so, like it took brains, heart, and courage to defeat the witches animal attacks, but I like how the musical tied everything up. In adapting a book to a movie or the stage, don't just follow it word for word, come up with your own stuff!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Re: Wicked: A New Musical

Post by Simba3 »

Disney Duster wrote:What about Simba 3?
No, I have not yet seen the show. I read the book about a month ago and I will be seeing the show ONE WEEK FROM TOMORROW! I am so excited. I am going home (Michigan) next Friday for a week, and I will be seeing Wicked at MSU's Wharton Center. Color me excited!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!