My Disneyland Trip

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Jack
Collector's Edition

My Disneyland Trip

Post by Jack »

Well, on Monday I drove up north from San Diego to Disneyland with a few of my pals and got some annual passes. Practically everything was open, although a few of the best rides were shut down: Space Mountain and Big Thunder. However, we got to do pretty much everything we wanted.

I hadn't been on Jungle Cruise nor Tom Sawyer's Island since I was 7, and for the first time I rode them again. Very fun. Nowadays, I can't get enough of New Orleans square. I just love being inside it with all the great shops, and cool looking buildings, + the two best rides in the park: Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. We were joking about how Pirates must have air left over from 60s down underground because of the unique smell - my friend joked that Walt's fart was probably stuck down there from the first time he rode it, and we should take a bottle, scoop it through the air, and then sell it on Ebay as "Walt's gas". (come on, you know its funny).

But the moment that really meant the most to me was walking into Fantasyland. After being a little boy who was very much into Disney, I fell out of interest for it, for many years, and only got back into it recently. Walking through the castle gates into Fantasyland and hearing "When you wish apon a star" almost brought a lump to my throught. It was almost like I was 5 years old again - it was just pure Disney magic, and its especially wonderful when something as simple as that can remove you from all the problems in the world these days.

But enough about me. My friend is 24 years old, and it was his first time to Disneyland despite having grown up in L.A. as a kid (he lived with a single mom who was very low on money, and he still is now that he's living alone). We all pitched in to help him afford an an annual pass to come with us, and it was neat to see someone enjoying it for the first time. I'm glad he could go with us.

I wanted to pick up the Disneyland soundtrack, and they DID have it, but it was 15 songs for $19.95, which I felt was a tad pricey, so I think I'll wait till next time just in case they lower it after Christmas (unlikely, I know, but what have I got to lose?). I ended up getting an Alice in Wonderland figurine set made up of Alice, the Queen, the Rabbit, the March Hare, the Mad Hatter, the Chesher Cat, and some mushrooms for $12 (a good price, and they look cool). I also got a very nice snowglobe of the rose from Beauty and the Beast, with Beast and Bell huddling around it.

ABOUT CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE: I went to it for the first time. First off, the Soarin over California attraction is really a worth-while ride. It truly feels like your flying, you can't see the corners of the screen when you're lifted up, and it smells like whatever you are seeing. That being said, I wasn't really impressed with the park. It had a very bland style to it, and only scattered areas actually had atmosphere to it. I liked the Disney Animation and Aladdin attractions, and the new Tower of Terror ride should be fun, but other than that there wasn't much that was truly interesting.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

I share many of your opinions

Post by Mr. Toad »

I love Disneyland. In fact they told me I was the first Canadian ever to buy an Annual Pass. But it only takes 20 hours from Vancouver if you drive like a bat out of hell.

New Orleans Square is also my favorite area of the park. Tommorowland has become a complete joke and a ghost town.

You are dead on with California Adventure - terrible atmosphere and far too few interesting rides and attractions - Soarin, the rollercoaster and the river rafting are great. I also love the animation building. I think I spend nearly every lunch hour there in the lobby just watching the movie clips.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

JimmyJack: Yeah I agree about both Tomorrowland and California Adventure.

Tomorrowland used to be my favorite land, before they changed it into a theme thats more science fiction than a real effort to depict the future like Walt originally wanted. And yes, there was barely anyone in Tomorrowland when I went there.

Not only is CA bland in its design, but most everything that has a shred of atmospher to it I could see for myself in San Diego. The Paradie Pier area is IDENTICAL and I mean IDENTICAL to a beachside amusment area in San Diego and I almost wonder if they riped it off. Condor Flats looks like an airport runway which any town has. There's a Hollywood theme, but you have the real Hollywood 30 minutes away. The only time I felt a bit of the Disney magic was inside the Beast's Library in the Animation attraction - that felt like Disneyland and was very cool. Overall, it reminded me of a really cheesy tourist shop you'd find in an L.A. airport terminal.

I remember on some interview with a Disneyland exec, he said that people kept asking him why they made a park about California in California. (You'd think he'd therefore get a clue that CA is a mistake, but no) His answer is "That would be silly to make a park about California. We wanted to make a park that reflects the spirit of California!" That just doesn't cut it as an excuse for the place after you've been there.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Re: My Disneyland Trip

Post by Maerj »

Jack wrote: We were joking about how Pirates must have air left over from 60s down underground because of the unique smell .
The one in Disney World has a unique smell too. I could never quite place what it was, but now that you say there is one in Disneyland I think that they must put that scent in there on purpose. It must add to the theme I suppose.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I like the smell and the sound of the water makes it nice!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Sounds like a lot of fun! I've never been there, so I wouldn't know. :oops:
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Luke wrote:Sounds like a lot of fun! I've never been there, so I wouldn't know. :oops:
Aw, Lukey! That stinks. Where to do you live? Is it anywhere near Disneyland or Disney World?

Hey MMB - I like the smell too. Smells like real wet caves that I've been too.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

I'm happy that you enjoyed your trip to Disneyland. But disappointed that you did not like Disney's California Adventure (I am a Disney Cast Member there).

Hopefully with future additions and future visits, it will grow on you. :)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Jack wrote:Aw, Lukey! That stinks. Where to do you live? Is it anywhere near Disneyland or Disney World?
No, I don't live anywhere near Disneyland or Disney World. They're on my "To Do" list, I suppose, somewhere around "take a hot-air balloon tour of the Serengeti."
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Can't wait to go now...
If all goes to plan, I should be there in early February...
If not, I'll elect a delegate to go in my stead.

Can't wait to buy exclusive Disney merchandise (I'm such a slave to the corporation...).
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter