Disney College Program

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Disney College Program

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

is anyone on here going to participate in this. i tried to do the application for the WDW one but it said i had an invalid account. :( if anyone on here has tried it can you tell me what's wrong. thanks :) .
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney College Program

Post by Escapay »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:is anyone on here going to participate in this.
As far as I know, bennyb98, goofystitch, and me (for the third year in a row).
Disneyfreak1990 wrote:i tried to do the application for the WDW one but it said i had an invalid account. :(
That's odd. Are you using a working e-mail? That's usually an early problem that people have had before. (I never had a problem with my apps, mainly since my first application in 2005 was a paper one at the school presentation, and the online apps for 2006 and 2007 already had me in the "system" so I had no problem with them either.)

Also, it could be that not all the required fields were filled in?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

actually i didn't get done with it since it gave that message after i clicked continue after filling out my e-mail address and place of birth. and we have had that e-mail address since 2000. i don't have my own yet sadly. my english teacher thinks it might have been an error yesterday but if it does it again when i do it in a bit i'm going to create my own e-mail address.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:actually i didn't get done with it since it gave that message after i clicked continue after filling out my e-mail address and place of birth. and we have had that e-mail address since 2000. i don't have my own yet sadly. my english teacher thinks it might have been an error yesterday but if it does it again when i do it in a bit i'm going to create my own e-mail address.
Yeah, it'd probably be best if you used a new e-mail (and one that would be for you and you alone).

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Tomorrowland Man
Limited Issue

Post by Tomorrowland Man »

I did the Spring Advantage in 2005; had a miserable time. I became severely depressed, my rooming situation was a terror, a few of my managers were very un-Disney like. I would do it again but if things were different. I’m a stronger person than I was then so it would be different. Oh, and I definitely hated the party atmosphere.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Tomorrowland Man wrote:I did the Spring Advantage in 2005; had a miserable time. I became severely depressed, my rooming situation was a terror, a few of my managers were very un-Disney like. I would do it again but if things were different. I’m a stronger person than I was then so it would be different. Oh, and I definitely hated the party atmosphere.
You wouldn't happen to be Jack Hurd or Steven I-forget-your-last-name, would you? Cause if you're Steven, you owe me a portable DVD player and deck of transparent Mickey Mouse playing cards, and if you're Jack, we all missed you at ODF!

You should definitely try it out again, by now your managers should be gone. They always like to shift managers around to keep things fresh, most stay in one location for two years, then move to another. Plus, since you're considered alumni now, you virtually get to pick-and-choose your new placement.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

When are you going to be there Escapay? Since May or June?
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Tomorrowland Man, I'm getting nervous now. Everyone I talked to had an awesome time, but I also am not big on party atmospheres. Once a week or so is enough. I'm not officially in yet. I'll know in about a week, but if I get in, I hope I don't have that kind of experience. What housing did you stay in? What job did you have and where?
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

well sadly for me i won't be going until 2009 since that is when i'll be 18 and be able to finish a semester of college freshmen year. :roll: i found out what was wrong with the application Escapy. it was because i have a branch of AOL so i had to use internet explorer :P finally got it to work but for when i finish filling out all the required stuff it won't show anything at all :roll: . i e-mailed them about this and it didn't help one bit.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Disneyfreak1990, I would love to be in this program with you. If I wasn't already involved in other jobs, I would apply for this in an instant.

Then again, I'm only 17. In college, but still quite young. There could very well be time.
That's hot.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

i would love to be with anyone on here but if it's only the WDW program and not the DL program. :P the only reason i'm doing the WDW one is because i have never been there so this is a chance for me to go. but when i was thinking of which one i wanted to do i was thinking about doing the DL one since i know it better than the back of my own hand.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:well sadly for me i won't be going until 2009 since that is when i'll be 18 and be able to finish a semester of college freshmen year. :roll: i found out what was wrong with the application Escapy. it was because i have a branch of AOL so i had to use internet explorer :P finally got it to work but for when i finish filling out all the required stuff it won't show anything at all :roll: . i e-mailed them about this and it didn't help one bit.
There's also the CareerStart Program, where all you need is to have graduated from high school.

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us this year, though. The UD member count would have been exceptionally high this summer!
reyquila wrote:When are you going to be there Escapay? Since May or June?
Late May, not sure of the date yet, papers still have to come in.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Escapay wrote:
Disneyfreak1990 wrote:well sadly for me i won't be going until 2009 since that is when i'll be 18 and be able to finish a semester of college freshmen year. :roll: i found out what was wrong with the application Escapy. it was because i have a branch of AOL so i had to use internet explorer :P finally got it to work but for when i finish filling out all the required stuff it won't show anything at all :roll: . i e-mailed them about this and it didn't help one bit.
There's also the CareerStart Program, where all you need is to have graduated from high school.

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us this year, though. The UD member count would have been exceptionally high this summer!
reyquila wrote:When are you going to be there Escapay? Since May or June?
Late May, not sure of the date yet, papers still have to come in.

Escapay
Is there any specific park or area? I'll be in WDW from May 28 to June 2!!! I'd really like to meet the man behind the legend!!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

reyquila wrote:Is there any specific park or area? I'll be in WDW from May 28 to June 2!!! I'd really like to meet the man behind the legend!!!
Legend? :lol: I'm a few things, but I don't think I've gained an internet notoreity worth calling "Legend"!

If I am there during that week (chances are I will be), I'll either be in Magic Kingdom (doing good ole MK ODF aka Magic Kingdom OutDoor Foods, for the third summer in a row) or training for a new role in Operations (if I'm lucky, the Great Movie Ride at Disney-MGM Studios). It's all up to whether or not the College Program is willing to take me again (aka if they'll give a third-time-programmer roam-and-board once again, but in my interview they basically said it was a sure thing), otherwise I'm going down as seasonal and renting an apartment for the summer. *crosses fingers*

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

Has anyone applied lately? I need to ask a question: Have they changed the DL CP from having to live in Cali and commuting? When I applied...2 years ago ish? IT was like that and it pissed me off. I'd love to go for a summer, but I couldnt handle the Florida weather I dont think...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Escapay- have you done only 3 semesters worth, or have you extended your semesters? My complaint about the College Program is that if people extend their semester there, they're missing out on school, and I'm assuming that many people don't go back to school and they end up staying at WDW and never graduating. Do you go back to school between your CP stays?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Escapay- have you done only 3 semesters worth,
Well this will be my third program, but I've only missed one semester of school. My first program was January to August in 2005, but since I planned on leaving my old college (Temple University), it wasn't really a "missed" semester, so to speak. And since none of those credits would transfer to my new school, I essentially had to start over when I came back to NJ.

Last year I did the summer alumni program, which was May to August, so I didn't miss any semesters of school.
blackcauldron85 wrote:My complaint about the College Program is that if people extend their semester there, they're missing out on school,
Yeah, that's one of the caveats of the program. They offer extensions for people who wish to stay longer, but usually at the expense of another semester of school.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm assuming that many people don't go back to school and they end up staying at WDW and never graduating.
The most common case is people in their senior year take a semester off, do the program, go home and finish that semester and graduate, then do another program, and from there move on to Advanced Internships, and eventually move on to fulltime status.

But at the same time, yes, there are people who choose to stay in WDW once their program is over. They'll either become fulltime castmember and part-time college student (often transferring to UCF or a local college), or just take some time off college altogether and commit themselves to the Mouse House for a year or two. I know quite a few who've simply stayed in Florida because it's a decent paying job doing something they still enjoy, and once they get that "burn out", switch to seasonal, get a regular job somewhere else, and go to school in Florida.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Do you go back to school between your CP stays?
Yep, but this year might change. I plan on doing the summer, and depending on how I feel at the end of August, either staying until January (cause life in NJ isn't too hot and sometimes you just need that longer-than-a-few-months break from the parental units) or going back to NJ and doing another year in school.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks, Escapay! I didn't even think of people transfering to UCF (that's where I go to school). That's cool that you haven't missed much school and you still get to do the College Program- you've made me accept the program a bit more!
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

DaveWadding wrote:Has anyone applied lately? I need to ask a question: Have they changed the DL CP from having to live in Cali and commuting? When I applied...2 years ago ish? IT was like that and it pissed me off. I'd love to go for a summer, but I couldnt handle the Florida weather I dont think...
i looked at this a few days ago and it looks like you might have to go and live there. but for the presantations they are only in southern cali. i would've done these but i wouldn't make it since the final one is done only a couple of days after my school gets out.
ToyStoryFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ToyStoryFan »

Hey all,
I'm doing this for fall 2007! Hope to see some of you down there!! :D