Anastasia (1997)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Plus, when you know that in reality, the whole Romanov family - including Anastasia - were lined up in a basement and shot point blank, it kinda takes all the fun out of the movie...
Well, I think you're only pointing this out in a jokey manner, but it really is no excuse not to like the film. Disney has long since altered existing tales to give them a happy family friendly ending, and their Pocahontas is not exactly a documentary either. Besides there are a lot of people who did or do believe that Anastasia survived and there's even been a number of DNA tests run on the likely candidate Anna Anderson. (See example here) So that part of the story is based on a valid historical fact (or if conclusive proof is never found, legend).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

2099net wrote:Well, I think you're only pointing this out in a jokey manner, but it really is no excuse not to like the film. Disney has long since altered existing tales to give them a happy family friendly ending, and their Pocahontas is not exactly a documentary either. Besides there are a lot of people who did or do believe that Anastasia survived and there's even been a number of DNA tests run on the likely candidate Anna Anderson. (See example here) So that part of the story is based on a valid historical fact (or if conclusive proof is never found, legend).
Yeah, I was mostly joking. ;) But to respond to your points - I think putting a spin on fictional stories like Grimms' Faerie Tales or Aesop's Fables is tolerable, 'cause they are just stories, after all. Moral lessons, at their simplest. And each and every one of them went through changes big and small in their oral tellings before someone decided to write them down in their current manifestations. And those can hardly be called the "definitive" versions. LOL

You get to historical stuff, though, and the picture changes. Here's something that really happened - and taking liberties with actual events is kinda... yeah. Lacks integrity, methinks. I don't like Pocahontas for that reason - they make a 12-year-old girl into a Barbie of the Forest. Who has a steaming relationship with a handsome, clean-shaven British captain. *gag*
It's an okay film, to be sure - but those extreme liberties hang over it always, and I for one don't like a cloudy movie. Gotta remember the rule of the plausible impossible - I say if you compromise the real history behind a film too much by Disney-fying it, then don't bother making it. Otherwise everything will be the weaker for it.

So to make a film starring a real girl - who is by most documents dead - happily traipsing around with a puppy, a bumbling sidekick, and an obvious love interest... it's kinda weird, to say the least.

But hey - Anastasia ain't as bad that saccharrine Titanic cartoon, at least. :lol:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I'm not picking on you Paka, but I'm interested on your take of Disney's none fairytale stories. The Jungle Book and Hunchback of Notre Dame (and I suppose Alice In Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass) do have proper definitive tellings. I'll happily tell you mine.

I'm sort of torn on the issue. I don't think anyone can expect a film to follow a book slavishly. They are after all two different mediums, with 2 different disciplines. I do think that doing so did hurt the first Harry Potter film. But some changes made for films – and this is all films, not just Disney - do alter the story too much. And when all is said and done, most changes make the film weaker. That said, I wouldn't want Hunchback to follow the original novel – because if it did it would never be made and the film that was made stands out as something special in the Disney canon.

Generally I do have problems with live-action "adult" films that present historical liberties as "fact" (or hide the disclaimer so far back in the credits nobody will ever notice). Because people will think these stories are real.

And it does happen. I thought "Man On The Moon" was a definitive Kaufman bio-pic until I read a written biography. It turns out the events in the film were accurate – but they just put them in a different order so the "story" would play better. Nothing can describe the disappointment and anger I felt when I discovered this. I would have expected more from Milos Forman, who is after all a respected Director. Now I have to wonder as to the accuracy of his Amedeus and People Vs. Larry Flynt films. :(

Still, I suppose it was seeing the film in the first place that encouraged me to pick-up and read the proper Andy Kaufman biography. And I think the same is even truer of "historical" cartoon films (and cartoons based on novels). Most of my reservations are pushed aside because I think (1) Nobody is likely to think the story presented is the "real" story and (2) Seeing and enjoying the cartoon may encourage the child to read the proper story (even if this is a few years down the line).

I have no objections to Anastasia as a character, and the basic plot of the film is okay by me because it is based upon a version of history many people do believe, and still has a minor question mark hanging over it today (even though I'll admit it sounds unlikely). If there's one thing in the film that strikes an ill chord it’s the presence of Rasputin.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I adore Anastasia (in my book it is the only 'good' animated feature that isn't connected with Disney), but I'll admit that it has a lot of faults. I was very unhappy with the character Rasputin. He was a horrible villian, very flat and he lacked any sort of motive for his evil-ness. Plus, Bartok got on my nerves a bit. But the songs are great, Dimitri is hot, and it just makes me happy. And it's not as if Disney hasn't had its share of shoddy films lately ...
Ric-Mx
Gold Classic Collection

ANASTASIA The One that Scared Disney???

Post by Ric-Mx »

I was thinking on post it on the OFF TOPIC, but then I decided that the Gerneral Forum was better to catch the attention for most users. So Luke, leave this here for a while (about 2 weeks) ok?

I just got ANASTASIA on DVD.

I've loved it since its theatrical run, but I don't get why so many people takes time to write bad reviews of it on Amazon or IMDB.
I know it's not historical accurate but is a great adaptation of a "roumor"
Many people all over the world think that this is a Disney Feature... can tell why?

Anastasia was succesfull enough here in Mexico.

Anya's voice (songs) was done by Thalía in the spanish version, she's loved by the public and I think that was a good shoot for the movie in latinamerica. (Thalia released her first English CD this year, with the hit single I Want You, but she already has over 20 years of carrer)

Was it succesfull on USA too?

How about other countries?

I remember that over here Disney re-released Hercules and then the Little Mermaid... As far as I know the Little Mermaid was re-released worldwide...

Was the Walt Disney Company really worried about Anastasia?
Whas it a big deal or a coincidence?

Remember that we already has a discussion about it at One Center (when this online community wasn't as big)

The DVD is good, I'd love a Collector's Edition but 20th Century Fox doesn't seem to care... do you Know if there are any chances for a CE soon?

Later animated features of this studios were lame... at least I didn't liked them, Anastasia is the best of those and the only one who can really be called a good competition for Disney Studios.

What do you think??
Kim Olav Svines
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kim Olav Svines »

Anastasia is one of my favourite movies. Absolutely stunning. Good animation and wonderful songs. I have a hard time understanding why some don't like it.

I don't know how successful it was around the world, though. I bought the DVD in Scotland, for £5. (New and sealed at Blockbuster), and I noticed it sells for around $8-10 in the US. If it's because it has been for sale a long time, or that the DVD didn't sell well, I don't know.
Alcazam
Limited Issue

Anastasia?

Post by Alcazam »

Anastasia is a movie made by people who try to be Disney. It still has a certain style that differs from what Disney have done, but, unfortunately, the story and characterisations are to weak to make the film really memorable. But it is a nice try
Wisedom comes suddenly
Eeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Eeyore »

Kim Olav Svines wrote:Anastasia is one of my favourite movies. Absolutely stunning. Good animation and wonderful songs. I have a hard time understanding why some don't like it.
I think they made the bad guy *too* dark, myself. Rotting flesh, limbs hanging off, it even made me uneasy, and I haven't been a child for well, lets just say a *loooong* time. There's a fine line between villain and creepy.

I enjoyed the rest of the film though.
Kim Olav Svines
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kim Olav Svines »

Eeyore wrote: I think they made the bad guy *too* dark, myself. Rotting flesh, limbs hanging off, it even made me uneasy, and I haven't been a child for well, lets just say a *loooong* time. There's a fine line between villain and creepy.

I enjoyed the rest of the film though.
That's one of the things I liked about it, it made the movie so much powerful. Then again my favourite genres are animation and horror. (Huge horror buff, so it takes a *lot* to make me uneasy :lol: )
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Of course Anistasia scared Disney. It's no co-incidence that the Disney "renaissance" started around the time Don Bluth's "Secret of NIMH" was release.

Competition is good - it makes everybody work harder to stand out. It's a shame that there's no real (creditable) competition to Disney these days - it keeps both the filmmakers and the public on their toes.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

That's why they re-released Little Mermaid! that's why anastacia didnt make money! :lol:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

It made $58,297,830 at the box office in the US, with a $53 million dollar budget. It also scored $25,114,852 in rentals, not to mention all of the overseas profits. So, that's not too bad.
slash
Limited Issue

The Iron Giant

Post by slash »

Anastasia was at best an average cartoon. It was better than the bad disney classics --cough-- Aristocats -- cough-- but did not even approach the quality of mediocre titles. In my opinion, the only non-Disney cartoon that threatened Disney, and even surpassed a lot of their works, was the Iron Giant. This was an amazing cartoon, one that I can proudly include in the same sentence with Disney greats like Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Pinnochio, etc.. I sometimes wish that Disney buys the rights to this movie so that it officially becomes Disney magic.
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Anastasia - A Discussion of the Film

Post by MovieMusicals.net »

I think it is the best non-Disney animated film to date. MUCH better than Shrek, Polar Express, and the other recent non-Disneys which as garbage compared to previous films.

Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty wrote SPECTACULAR music for the production which is regularly heard at auditions for school musicals across the States. LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY score. Lovely, fun, memorable, classy, brilliant.

OUTSTANDING animation, fantastic villain, wonderful comedic relief sidekick.

Where's out 2-disc special edition? C'mon, Fox!!
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

It's good for what it's worth: an animated musical. Saying it's the best non-Disney animated feature is a bit of an exaggeration. Every Studio Ghibli picture I've seen is better, and in the realm of animated musicals, I would say The Prince of Egypt, and even Cats Don't Dance rank higher up. There's also a lot of adult animation that I would prefer: Waking Life, The Triplets of Belleville, ect. Chicken Run is an underrated artistic achievement, as is James and the Giant Peach. Give me the wry, witty, and satirical Shrek Franchise anyday! :)

I think the animation is really poor, too dark to be appealing and the art direction is paint-by-numbers. Fox (and any other animation studio for that matter) has never been good with character designs and so they look off-model all the time! The music is beautiful, though, I'll give you that. The "journey" song should have been nominated for an Oscar, even though I like the one Aaliyah sung too.
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

This is a favorite of mine but I felt they made Rasputin too comical. In truth, Rasputin manipulated the Romanovs, especially the wife and older daughters. He was a sick man. I think these issues could have been brought up better without the popping eyeballs and rotting corpse. He turned out to be funny, rather then scary. I would say a better personality for Rasputin in the movie would have been one like Scar in Lion King. Scar had an air of manipulation and sarcasim. He was just too comical. Bartok was there for the comedy relief. I saw Rasputin more as a gross, Garbage Pail Kid 50 years later, then a scary, potentially dangerous villian. He was in the end, but the effect was still lost on me by the time he tried to redeem himself a villian.

Anastasia was well drawn both in animation and personality. She wasn't the annoying princess type, but she wasn't the know-it-all, street smart either. Dimitri was a less then perfect hero, which I enjoyed. He reminded me a bit of Aladdin and his personality was well fleshed out.

The music was better then many Disney movies. Especially Journey to the Past and even more so with Once Upon a December. That is a HAUNTING song, totally unforgetable to me. I really enjoy it. Both versions, though I prefer the movie version more because of the chorus.

CGI wasn't too bad. The train wreck scene was neat looking. I also liked the humour of the movie. I liked how Anastasia and Dimitri played off each other. I also much say Angela Lansbury gave a wonderful preformance with her grandmother. The animation of their reunion scene was beautiful and well detailed.

Overall, I rate it an 7.5. Again, if it wasn't for the villian, I could feel I'd rate it higher. Chrisopher Lloyd did a great job for the script and character they gave him, but he's done better voice work with better villians (Exp...Ducktales: The Movie)
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MovieMusicals.net »

"Once Upon A December" is one of my favorite scenes in any animated film EVER. Haunting only BEGINS to describe the feeling. This would make a great IMAX feature.

"Journey to the Past" WAS nominated for an Oscar. The same year "Go the Distance" from HERCULES was nominated. Both lost to "My Heart Will Go On" from TITANIC.

I rather liked Rasputin, but agreed that if more dark and less comical, he could have improved.

Are you kidding me? I *love* CATS DON'T DANCE, but hardly on par with ANASTASIA and PRINCE OF EGYPT.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I really love Anastasia my family thinks it's Disney but I'm like it's Fox.

Fox always shows Anastasia during Thanksgiving and Christams and I love to watch it on DVD instead.

Oh yeah I love the song Once Upon A December!!!!!! :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Yeah, but remember that comedy is one of the strong bets when a new movie is being made.
Maybe a more realistic or evil Rasputin would had be great but it might scaried the little ones.
Anyway, the movie ended as a good Christmas movie(at least IMO) and Bartok was funny.

great songs, and a enjoyable movie
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

I saw some of Anastasia at my cousin's house but we never saw the end. I always wondered what it was until I saw the DVD on sale at FYE last year. When I watched it again in full length for the first time, I was truly impressed with it. As everyone has said, the music is wonderful and Liz Callaway (Anastasia's singing voice) performed beautifully! I thought it was Meg Ryan (btw, she also did a great job as Anastasia) singing at first but I was surprised when I saw a different name in the credits. I went on imdb and found out she also sang for Jasmine in Return of Jafar and Kiara in Lion King II! I watched those again and you can definitely hear her!

Anyhow, the story of Anastasia is quite the modern fairy tale even though this film kind of exaggerated truth, but who cares? It made a better movie! I loved the music and the animation and could easily see how many mistaken it for a Disney movie (though the design of the human characters was not Disney).

Rasputin...he was just okay for me. I thought he wasn't really needed for the movie and the story of Anastasia finding her family and discovering who she was was enough, but then I realized why bother animating it w/o Rasputin and his plotline. He gave the movie a needed villain, but like in the animated King and I, he was too outrageous to fit with the very real story. His song was pretty good, but it reminded me A LOT of the music of Les Miserables. Lol, Jim Cummings was his singing voice and I could hear evil Tigger or Pete or Scar right away :lol: !

Overall, I loved Anastasia and I'm glad to have the DVD to watch it over and over again. Though my one complaint about the DVD is that the two featurettes are exactly the same, just with different narrations! The cast did wonderfully and it was awesome that it was an all star cast! It was hard for me to accept a russian Mrs. Potts, but after repeated viewings, I realized Angela Lansbury did a great job. I guess I watched BatB too much to hear her as anything else.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>