Haunted High School Musical - Coming to theaters in 2008

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well, to be fair, I've actually *gasp* never seen High School Musical.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Keep it that way, Justin.

Or at least wait for me to send you the Bootleg Cut, re-edited to be a story about two theatre-loving siblings whose innocent plans for a high school musical are crushed by evil evil jocks and brains.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:Well, to be fair, I've actually *gasp* never seen High School Musical.
me neither. personally, i am a 'Rent' lover, and I've heard from people that they are so udderly different that you can only really be loyal to one.

i love rent so much that i dont want to like high school musical, and from the previews/excerpts i've seen from it im not sure i want to see it.

the only reason that i DO want to see it is because i never have and people love it so much.

we'll see.

the haunted IS more my style....hmmm.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

I watched High School Musical for the sweet character of Kelsi.
That's hot.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Jasmine1022 wrote:me neither. personally, i am a 'Rent' lover, and I've heard from people that they are so udderly different that you can only really be loyal to one.

i love rent so much that i dont want to like high school musical, and from the previews/excerpts i've seen from it im not sure i want to see it.
What's the connection with <i>Rent</i>? :?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

AwallaceUNC wrote:
Jasmine1022 wrote:me neither. personally, i am a 'Rent' lover, and I've heard from people that they are so udderly different that you can only really be loyal to one.

What's the connection with <i>Rent</i>? :?

-Aaron
Yeah, I don't see a Rent connection between the two at all, unless the sequels will deal with AIDS, drug use, poverty, and bohemians. If anything, HSM seems more like a diet version of Grease.

I, too, thought this thread was a joke at first, and am currently debating whether or not to be shocked. I liked the original film in a goofy way. For me, it was like cotton candy. It tastes pretty good, but it's very fluffy, you don't feel revitalized afterwards, and too much can make you sick. I'll check the first sequel out on TV out of sheer curiosity, but I won't watch this third installment in theaters. I'll wait for it to air on the Disney Channel or ABC.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Jasmine1022 wrote:i love rent so much that i dont want to like high school musical, and from the previews/excerpts i've seen from it im not sure i want to see it..
Really, what kind of logic is that? You like Rent, so you're not allowed to like other movies?
Yes, they're different. Have you ever tried comparing Jesus Christ Superstar to Cabaret? Or The Rocky Horror Picture Show to The Sound Of Music?
Musicals can be very different from each other, which is part of the charm. HSM can't hold a candle to any of the aforementioned musicals, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a DCOM. No more, no less.

Edit: I'd better add some on-topicness... I liked HSM as an enjoyable but forgettable film. I'll watch HSM 2 and 3, but just because I'm a musicalfreak. I won't be visiting theaters for HSM 3, though.
(I'm also kind of scared about the whole haunted-thing. How are they going to make thát work?)
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I adore HSM, and am excited for the sequel. It'll take place during the summer, though, so probably won't have much to do with a high school musical. I'm not loving the haunted theme of HSM3. Especially as a theatrical film. But, we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure I'll love it, no matter how it turns out... :oops:
w00t
Limited Issue

Post by w00t »

as much as I would love to see this, I see it being moved to the disney channel after HSM2 premires
God Wants You :)
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Escapay wrote:At first I hoped it was a hoax. Then I checked coming soon and found the article. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. I guess both would make sense.

:lol: :cry:

In other news, comingsoon.net also confirms what many have already known...

Disney sticks to 2-D
Erm, did you post that news with the Haunted High School Musical news to make a point? What with HSM being a bit 2D and all... ;)

I don't think I'll go to the cinema to see this. I watched High School Musical on BBC1 at Christmas, and found it to be moderately passable yet ultimately mediocre (read: it was sweet in its own way, yet a bit tacky and I was actually saying to myself what I would have done to improve it every twenty seconds), and I don't think I'd pay more than £5 to see a sequel on the big screen, which would most likely be worse.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I also haven't seen the original yet. I am sure I will... eventually. It doesn't completely turn me off. There are some aspects that interest me. I do love musicals, for example.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Wonderlicious wrote:
Escapay wrote:At first I hoped it was a hoax. Then I checked coming soon and found the article. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. I guess both would make sense.

:lol: :cry:

In other news, comingsoon.net also confirms what many have already known...

Disney sticks to 2-D
Erm, did you post that news with the Haunted High School Musical news to make a point? What with HSM being a bit 2D and all... ;)
Glad to see someone saw my subtle comparison... :thumb:

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Can you hear that sound? Sort of like small splash followed a little later by a bigger one? It's the sound of a shark being jumped.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

Alright.

To everybody that asked about my 'Rent' reference::

I CLEARLY stated that I was a 'Rent' lover and that my friend (who has seen both) told me that you can't love both. I don't know, I guess that was just her opinion, but she specifically said to me that someone either likes one or the other.

and it was early....now that i think about it i guess it doesnt make much sense.... :roll: :lol:
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

I'm really looking forward to this. It's sounds great. As to Luke saying that this is a fad, of course it is, there's no doubt about it, but with each Disney Channel Original Movie topping the previous, in terms of viewing records, then it looks like this fad will be here to stay. HSM is so very popular at the moment, that it likely won't go away until the third movie is released. It will stay popular for a few more years yet.
-James
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

Escapay wrote:
slave2moonlight wrote:Oh well. At least it will be haunted. That might get me to watch it, ha.
I can imagine it now. Sharpay as some kind of mistress of the dark, and Ryan as queen of the night. And it's up to Troy the Talent Slayer to stop them.

All-New Remixed Songs:
"What I've Been Killing For"
"We're All Entombed Forever"
"Getcha Head In The Guillotine"

And Wonderful Instant Classics:
"Ryan, Your Hat Is Glowing!"
"Let's Vanquish Some Talent"
"Grim Grinning Gabrielle"

Escapay
:lol: :lol:
Funniest thing I've ever read..

I think they're going way overboard with this whole HSM thing. It was good, but they keep pushing it.
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

you know it could be worse than this. it could be animated and i don't think those guys will look good animated. heck the only thing that could be worse is HSM4.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Ok I did like HSM and I do want to see HSM2 but a theatrical third film with ghosts? Gimme a break! :roll:
HappyPug
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HappyPug »

Super Aurora wrote:
HappyPug wrote:Oh dear.

I prefer its alternate title:

High School Musical III : The Search For More Money.
No that sequel goes to Spaceballs. Remember Yogurt saying that?
Hooray for You for noticing my obscure reference.
Have a toffee
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

High school Musical was pretty good - i love musicals- and i can see how a sequel would be a good idea ( can't they just leave their hits alone and let them become legends???) but a thatrical release is taking it too far disney!!! something tells me that disney isn't losing its charmed but it already :oops: we are officially living in the tween/ direct to video/special edition dvd disney era and i'm sick of it - don't get me wrong i love all of those ideas but its just not disney for me.