Star Wars I-VI on Cinemax

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Star Wars I-VI on Cinemax

Post by dvdjunkie »

For all of us who can't get enough of the Force, Cinemax will be showing all six of the Star Wars movies in order beginning at 12 midnight (11 Central) on Friday November 10. Then the rest of the month they will be showing them individually. This has not been attempted by any network - Premium or Cable before, so it should be a lot of fun to lose sleep over.

No word on whether they will be shown Widescreen or Pan & Scan, that is the only drawback to this news. I am sure that they will show them Widescreen the first time around.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

It's Cinemax, I guarantee it will be full screen.

P.S. : Why watch it on TV when it's easier to do it on DVD?

Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I thought this was on Cinemax HD?

Really wished we had Cinemax HD available here, and I had an HDTV. I would love to watch all six movies in HD.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Just Myself wrote:P.S. : Why watch it on TV when it's easier to do it on DVD?
No need to get up and change the disc?

(unless someone has one of those 500-disc players)

Sometimes it's more fun to catch a movie in the middle on TV. I found myself watching "A Place in the Sun" on TCM a couple weeks ago, start to finish, before I remembered I already had it on DVD.

Don't have Cinemax (or any premium movie channels), so won't be able to partake in their marathon, though I might just have my own. Except I'd watch it in my preferred order that helps tell the story from both trilogies without having to watch one trilogy first over the other:

4 - introduces you to the world of Star Wars.
1 - after mentioning Luke's father in passing, go back 40-odd years or so and see Obi-Wan and Anakin's origins.
2 - continue the adventures of Obi-Wan and Anakin while showing the beginning of the Empire.
5 - back to present-day Star Wars, with a better understanding of the Empire.
3 - after the revelation in 5, we see Anakin's fall from grace (though it'll spoil the "Leia is Luke's sister" revelation in 6).
6 - Finale to it all.

Or of course, a more extreme order:

4 - again, the introduction to the series
5 - Goes into more about the Force and Empire.
1 - we go back to Anakin's roots after the revelation from ESB
2 - more of Anakin's roots and the Empire
6 - Finale to the series
3 - a follow-up explanation movie that ties up most loose ends.

Watching it from 1-6 just changes many plot points and de-emphasizes revelations in the OT. And watching it 4-6 then 1-3 just makes me ask "why bother?" after 6.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

Just Myself wrote:P.S. : Why watch it on TV when it's easier to do it on DVD?
My sentiments exactly... I'd estimate about 80% of all my television viewing is exclusively from DVDs, and has been that way for quite a while now.

That's counting both movies and television series... I often just can't bring myself to bother watching a show on broadcast anymore if it's already available on DVD (which often happens for shows from channels like HBO or Showtime, which we get a season or so behind). Examples have been stuff like Dead Like Me which began airing in Canada a year or so ago though I'd already seen both seasons on DVD, Curb Your Enthousiasm (we've only got up to season 4 on broadcast), Entourage, etc. And as far as movies go... only 1 or 2 channels I get broadcast movies in widescreen, and even that's probably only half the time. If I want to see a movie, I'll buy it if I'm interested enough or if its going for a price within a few dollars of the price I'd pay to rent it; otherwise I just rent it.

The only stuff I actually watch on television are current episodes of in-production series that I regularly watch (currently consisting of Dr. Who, Heroes, [/i]Monk[/i], Lost, Jericho, My Name is Earl & The Office). The majority of television is pure trash anyway, so I limit myself to those shows and watch anything else I care to see on DVD.

As time goes on, more and more of the older shows I enjoy or want to see are being released, so I'll pick them up at one point or another, or simply rent them if I'm only mildly interested.

The way things are going for me, I don't imagine I'll even be subscribing to a broadcast cable or satillite service in 5 years time.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Bill, I can't believe that you didn't mention that it is in HD!

Here is the website:

http://www.cinemax.com/starwars/schedule.html
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I have my own viewing order now that the O-OT is available on DVD. I still haven't done this yet, but hopefully will one day. Maybe during the holidays this year.

Star Wars (1977)
Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Clone Wars: Volume One
Clone Wars: Volume Two
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Episode IV: A New Hope (2004)
Episode V: Empire Strikes Back (2004)
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (2004)
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

I have all of the DVDs but The biggest reason I'll be watching these is to see them on my dads 70" DLP in HD. I'd watch them on my 50" but I dont have an HD reciever yet, I paln on buying one soon.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

I have "Star Wars" episodes 4, 5 and 6 on VHS tapes that are the original films before it became "Special Editions" in 1997 when it was re-released in theatres with additional scenes not featured in the theatrical prints and added special effects. The original films of episodes 4, 5 and 6 are pre-1997 original releases with the original special effects from the original "Star Wars" films. I have episode 1 on VHS and episode 3 on DVD. The other movie that I don't have is episode 2. I don't have Cinemax on my cable, but I hope it will be on HBO anytime soon.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

MusicRadio........did you know that Cinemax is owned by HBO? If you have cable you should have Cinemax if you have HBO. I have never heard of a cable company that didn't offer HBO/Cinemax together. I would check into it. These films are on Cinemax HD, also and the first time through they are being shown in Widescreen format.

Don't wait until November 9th to check into this. Find out today if your system has Cinemax offered, they should have. I would ask questions as soon as possible.

It is like you can't get Encore without getting Starz. Encore/Starz are the same thing.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!