Disney Debates: Where is Pinocchio set?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

well that hasn't been confirmed only rumored just like Frozen Walt.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:well that hasn't been confirmed only rumored just like Frozen Walt.
fact that both stories oringinally take place in there plus Germany Epcot even had Snow White stuff make me think this isn't a rumor like Frozen Disney.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

just because they have Snow White in Germany doesn't mean shes from Germany. if she is then why don't they have Cindy in France if that's where shes from? :P
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:just because they have Snow White in Germany doesn't mean shes from Germany. if she is then why don't they have Cindy in France if that's where shes from? :P
Cinderella could very well be in France. I always thought it was.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

I agree that Pinocchio's in Italy. The names are Italian, so it's got to be Italy. And they speak with Italian accents, not German.
-James
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:just because they have Snow White in Germany doesn't mean shes from Germany. if she is then why don't they have Cindy in France if that's where shes from? :P
Where did it say Cinderella from France? There were no references to even where she might even be from, unlike Snow White or Pinocchio.

If your saying Cinderella tale originated from France, than your dead wrong. It was a Chinese tale originally.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Some of those tales are very international - and have been told in various versions in different parts of the world for centuries. I think a French version of Cinderella is the one perhaps considered the "most official" and the one Disney first and foremost based the 1950 animated feature on. So that's one reason why it would be fair to assume that it's set in France.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Debates: Where is Pinocchio set?

Post by Disney Duster »

Notes in an early outline for Cinderella say it is set in the early 1800's and in a kingdom that is very French. There is also the very French chateau Cinderella lived in, and French names at the ball.So, though it is really more of a middle to late 19th century time, Cinderella's definitely French. Also, the original Cinderella story is the Greek tale Rhodopis, but the one Disney's is based on is the French Cendrillon.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I think that they didn't wanted to choose only a place and they get inspired in the culture of Central Europe. The clothes and the buildings look to me like Austrian and the soundtrack has some things that remind to the tirol culture. I think that they didn't research as good as they do today and make everything looks like German / Austrian using some of the information that they had for Snow White and the seven dwarfs.
In Disneyland Paris the only thing that has an Italian name is the toy shop as you said above. The restaurant name is in french and inside you can have meals from the Alpes so yes, they get inspired by the cultures of the center of Europe instead the story is Italian.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Disney Duster wrote:Notes in an early outline for Cinderella say it is set in the early 1800's and in a kingdom that is very French. There is also the very French chateau Cinderella lived in, and French names at the ball.So, though it is really more of a middle to late 19th century time, Cinderella's definitely French. Also, the original Cinderella story is the Greek tale Rhodopis, but the one Disney's is based on is the French Cendrillon.
There is lot of Cinderella's tales version around the world. There's also an Egyptian and a Chinesse one so we couldn't know which one is the original one.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Many traditional fairytales starts with the following words; "Once upon a time, in a land far far away". The fact that the time period and location is not always specified makes it feel more timeless.
(I even experience this is real life. A place with atmosphere often loses some of its magic once you're able to pinpoint exactly where you are in relation to places close by you are already familiar with).

One the other hand it is not difficult to notice that these movies are set in Europe usually somewhere in a pre-industrial era (or at least in areas where the steam engines had not yet arrived). And for those who are knowledgeable about what defines the various time periods, there should be small details that gives it away.

Using Google I see that Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast is supposed to be a mantel clock, which was created in the 1750s. So it must be set between then and modern times.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thumper_93 wrote:There is lot of Cinderella's tales version around the world. There's also an Egyptian and a Chinesse one so we couldn't know which one is the original one.
The Egyptian one is the Greek one. Also, the Greek one is known to be the very first written version of the tale, which means it could be considered the original version. But you're right, maybe there were spoken versions all over the world at the same time.

Wondy, just because you don't like the use of details that would place a Disney film in a certain time period doesn't mean you're right that Disney never set their films in a particular place. I agree with you Walt's films were set in made up lands, but that doesn't mean they didn't set them with particular geography or history in mind. Otherwise they wouldn't say things in story notes like Cinderella is set in the 1800's in a French kingdom! Also, in films since Walt's time they do set stories in even more specific places. For instance Beauty and the Beast says it is in France within the film and Frozen is set around Norway.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Thumper_93 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:48 pm I think that they didn't wanted to choose only a place and they get inspired in the culture of Central Europe. The clothes and the buildings look to me like Austrian and the soundtrack has some things that remind to the tirol culture. I think that they didn't research as good as they do today and make everything looks like German / Austrian using some of the information that they had for Snow White and the seven dwarfs.
In Disneyland Paris the only thing that has an Italian name is the toy shop as you said above. The restaurant name is in french and inside you can have meals from the Alpes so yes, they get inspired by the cultures of the center of Europe instead the story is Italian.
Pinocchio the book is from Tuscany, southern Italy. They have monuments to him there and Italians consider it his homeplace.

Disney verison is very differnet. It's northern Italy in the alp mountains so that's why the Austrian/Bavarian influences exist cuz that region overlaps. Hence why Disney's Pinocchio is still technically Italy but a very diff region and has so many Germanic influences like Snow White starting with the artist Gustaf Tenggren (hope I spelled his name correctly)