Lucas to release the ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy (Non-SE)

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I guess this is good for all of you StarWars fans. I saw the 1st one, the one made in I think 2000, and I thought that it was terribly long and boring. I don't think that I could ever actually like StarWars. I saw a little bit of the 2nd one, the one after the one in 2000, and it looked a little better, but I just couldn't grasp on to the so-called "excitment and thrill" of these movies. Maybe if I saw the actual first ones, made back in I think the 70s, I might like them. But most likely I won't. I'm not really in to the futuristic type of stuff. Well, for all of you StarWars fans out there, I hope you like this release.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) are classic like Cinderella.

Prequel Trilogy (Episodes I-III) are like Cinderella II. Some might like it, but it sure isn't like the original.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

TheSequelofDisney wrote:I guess this is good for all of you StarWars fans. I saw the 1st one, the one made in I think 2000, and I thought that it was terribly long and boring. I don't think that I could ever actually like StarWars. I saw a little bit of the 2nd one, the one after the one in 2000, and it looked a little better, but I just couldn't grasp on to the so-called "excitment and thrill" of these movies. Maybe if I saw the actual first ones, made back in I think the 70s, I might like them. But most likely I won't. I'm not really in to the futuristic type of stuff. Well, for all of you StarWars fans out there, I hope you like this release.
If the first movie you saw was The Phantom Menace thats a bad way to start in my opinion. While I like the prequels for what they are, I really think people should watch the originals first. I guess my viewing order would be IV, V, VI, I, II, III.

Anyway I don't mind the 2.0 sound. They were never in 5.1 so no big worry to me. Anyway there were complaints about the 5.1 mix in A New Hope in 2004. The back channels were mixed up. I would have actually liked to have seen a restored print like the 2004 editions, but without the CGI. At least the orginals are going to finally be put on DVD. I'm sure if HD-DVD/Blu-Ray does take over, we will have to wait ages for them to be released again. Hey it took forever to get them on DVD.
Finchx0rz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Finchx0rz »

I can finally die happy. I've got September 12th marked on my calendar already, even though this will be my fourth time buying the trilogy, but it's worth a double-double-extra dip.

SequelofDisney, I offer my condolences to you. "Phantom Menace" isn't an ideal movie to cut one's teeth on Star Wars, because it was intended for fans of the originals. A lot of SW newbies didn't like it (including my cousin) because they had no frame of reference.

By the way, Star Wars isn't futuristic. It takes place <em>a long time ago</em> in a galaxy far, far away. :wink:
<a href="http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/" target="_blank">Got a question? Ask Google first.</a>
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Wish he'd buy the "Special Edition + New Revisions" DVDs back from me and pretend he didn't dupe everyone into buying the initial release. But I guess he can do something like this now that he's done devoting time to his labor of love new trilogy.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Oh yeah! Who called it?! Who called it?! I knew it!
WAAAAAAY back in my 4th post ever, I wrote:I've got a feeling George Lucas will release the original versions in a few years. He has to have noticed all the negative reactions he got from the "Han shoots first, not Greedo" people. It's actually a brilliant money-making technique.

First, release the movies with the changes so that fans will buy them and complain about not having the theatrical versions.

Next, release the movies with no changes so that fans will buy them and then complain about not having the updated versions included.

Finally, release both versions of the trilogy in a single set so that fans who want easy access to both will buy them and finally be happy.
What's happening now is more or less what I predicted.

Okay, enough bragging. Do I even have to say that I'm excited about this? Although, I do feel very ripped off; actually, I just looked at my special edition DVDs yesterday, and now I feel bad for having paid for them. Normally, I would be jumping at the chance to buy these, but since I already have the movies (technically), I'm going to wait and see what else will be on these sets before I double-dip. Here's hoping they undergo the same brilliant remastering as the special editions did.
- John
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Well, now that all the OT loving is out of the way, when's Lucas gonna get around to releasing THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES??? And I don't mean the post-TV series hackjobs where they reshot scenes (with 2+ years older Cory Carrier and Sean Patrick Flanery) and coupled episodes to make TV-movies.

I keep hearing that they're delaying it to coincide with Indy 4, but honestly, Indy 4 is always being delayed and continually in pre-production that I'd rather they release it on its own rather than tie it to the movie.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

If these releases will only be available separately though, I will probably keep the box and bonus disc to the first release and sell the bare bones discs that came with it, But $30.00 a Film? Why cant they just come in a boxed set?

I am really glad the original versions are comming out though. I honestly did not believe that George Luc@$$ was ever going to release these and i was seriously considering buying a Laserdisc Player and buying a set of OOT discs, at least now i wont have to.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Jungleprince_55 wrote:If these releases will only be available separately though, I will probably keep the box and bonus disc to the first release and sell the bare bones discs that came with it, But $30.00 a Film? Why cant they just come in a boxed set?
They're not really barebones though (the first 3 discs). You do get a commentary...

Anyway, I'm guessing it's $30 a pop because if you think about it, you're getting two different movies in this 2-disc for $15 each.

But still, I'd rather he release a boxset solely of the originals. No need for me to buy them individually again just to get some 2004-edition coasters...

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

With Lucas finally releasing the originals, you think he'll ever release the Christmas special?

Ever since that thread JiminyCrick91 started, I REALLY want to see it! :D
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I think you can say the chances of the Holiday Special being released are a big fat zero.

As for these releases, it seems insane if there is no boxed set of just the original editions for everyone who has already bought the previous boxset(s).

If there's no boxset of the original trilogy (unaltered) then we'll know Lucas is doing it for the money. If there is, then I can accept he is (partly) doing it due to popular demand.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Continuum

Post by Continuum »

Finchx0rz wrote:SequelofDisney, I offer my condolences to you. "Phantom Menace" isn't an ideal movie to cut one's teeth on Star Wars, because it was intended for fans of the originals. A lot of SW newbies didn't like it (including my cousin) because they had no frame of reference.
I really disagree with that. TPM was intended for little kids. Having Anakin at a young age, those idiot Gunguns, terrible humor were all a lame way to reach out to young kids. I grew up with the Original Trilogy and the same for my friends, TPM was an abomination to us. It was like they took Star Wars, dumbed it down and made it extra kid friendly. I don't know anyone that grew up with the originals that liked TPM.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Continuum wrote:I don't know anyone that grew up with the originals that liked TPM.
Hi, my name is Escapay!

I personally enjoyed TPM not as a Star Wars film, but just as a nice romp in space. It's a mind-numbing popcorn flick that's okay to watch once in awhile.

And in comparison to Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, it's a much more upbeat film.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Another that grew up with the originals, and still like TPM. I remember seeing the midnight show on opening night, and thought it was great. Sure its the least favorite of the Star Wars films to me, but its still a good movie.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I think the fact that the Prequels reveal TMI is one of the reasons "purists" hate them. But I remember reading in imdb someone's suggestion for how to watch the 6 films. He did it as 4-1-2-5-3-6, but I believe it would work better like this (1-4-2-5-3-6):

1. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: It's your basic space adventure, and the one with the least amount of knowledge necessary to understand the characters. It basically introduces you to the world of Star Wars, and is perhaps the brightest of the 6 movies.

2. Star Wars: A New Hope: Now that you've been introduced to Anakin and Obi-Wan, you'd get some more (though vague) information about them via Luke and old Obi-Wan. Plus, you'll still wonder who this Darth Vader is, and how this Empire came to be, especially after the upbeat beginning that once was The Phantom Menace.

3. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: With the original adventure out of the way, rather than move to ESB, go back again and watch Anakin's journey as a Jedi. Also, you'll understand more about the Clone Wars mentioned in ANH. This also helps set the darker tone that the films begin to take.

4. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: With the greater understanding of how the Empire began to form, you can watch this one, back in the "present" of the StarWars-verse, and see how the Empire is "winning" against these Rebels. After all, every fight in here has the rebels losing. The big one on Hoth, the takeover of Cloud City. And at the end, with that final revelation, you'll think to yourself, "OMG, that sweet kid in Phantom and that angry teen in AotC turned into HIM???"

5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: Now that you know that Darth is Anakin, this gives you that chance to see how it happened, along with the true formation of the Empire. It leaves a very sour taste in your mouth as everything from the 4 previous films has built up to all of this. Throughout the 4 films, you're unsure whether or not to side with the rebels or the Empire. After all, in 1 and 2, the Empire is seen as a shaky, but somewhat peaceful alliance that are trying to stop the Trade Federation. But in 4 and 5, you see how strong the Empire's become, and the radical Rebels who are trying to restore "peace". With RotS, you finally can *take* that side: the Rebels.

6. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: It all comes to a close (at least until Lucas makes 7-9, which I think he'll do when he can't milk 1-6 any more), as the Rebels plan their final attack on the Empire. Though they do win, you have to wonder if beyond the death of the Emperor and of Anakin/Vader, is there complete peace in the galaxy? After all, the Empire may have been under an evil rule, but it was peaceful (save for those Rebels). A "What next?" kind of hangs on, amidst the dancing Ewoks and every rebel congratulating themselves for blowing up a half-finished space station and assassinating their imperious leader (BSG nod there, lol).

If you look at the trilogy, each film complements the other. 1 and 4 both are great space adventures, with a young hero and a menacing villain. 2 and 5 both delve more into the universe you were introduced to, while at the same time, showing the darker sides of characters. And 3 and 6 are the culminations of everything you think you know about the past films, as there are revelations abound and a sense of finality to each trilogy, though there are some lingering questions.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Harbinger
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Harbinger »

That is awesome!!! The thing I'm hoping for is that they actually take some work in releasing this and clean up the prints a bit and not just smacking the laserdisc or vhs on a dvd. Only thing I'm peeved about is the release of the 2004 DVD version w/ it which skyrocketed up the SRP to $29.99, meaning stores discounting it would be around $20 first week instead of $15-$18.
anger is pointless
Special Edition

Post by anger is pointless »

YES ill finally be able to see the trilogys original cut this is so great i cant wait till september

um will the movies be remastered
GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

anger is pointless wrote:
um will the movies be remastered
The press release makes a point of referring to the digitally remastered versions and the original versions as two very different things, indicating (to me at least) that the original editions won't look as good.

However, those of us old enough to remember the last VHS release of the original uncut trilogy (before the SEs came out in 1997) will know that there was a documentary on there talking about how they scrubbed the films up for that release, as Darth Vader was turning navy rather than black. I don't think these will look QUITE as shiny as the 2004 DVD release - indeed, they won't sound as good as they are only presented in 2.0 sound - but expect them to look better than most catalog releases. This is, after all, a Lucasfilm release, and you'd hope at least some effort is being put in.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Here is some pretty disappointing news if its true.

The Digitial Bits is reporting that the Originals will be NON-ANAMORPHIC! :evil: :evil: If this is true then boo to Lucas. Well I guess he didn't have to release them at all but if he is going to then why release a non-anamorphic transfer in 2006?

As far as the covers they have been posted on StarWars.com. They look better than the 2004 box set, and they are the same color as the prequels.

Each is a 2 disc set. The 1st disc is the 2004 Edition. The 2nd disc is the bonus disc with the Original version and a XBox demo.

I'll still buy them to have the Originals on DVD (my VHSs are showing there age, and I don't have a Laserdisc player), but non-anamorphic is just crazy talk.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Artcover for Limited Edition of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/rele ... 60516.html
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's: