Lucas to release the ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy (Non-SE)

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
JoeyOhhhh
Limited Issue

Lucas to release the ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy (Non-SE)

Post by JoeyOhhhh »

I don't know how many of you are fans of the films, but Lucasfilm has announced a limited boxset including the unaltered versions of the Star Wars films: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/rele ... 60503.html
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Yay!! I was holding out for something like this. The article makes it sound like each is a 2 disc set which will have both the original theatrical version and the Special editions! that's perfect!!! Now if only they'd throw in that bonus disc from the first DVD release of the set then this would be the absolute must have perfect DVD buy of the year!!!
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

As much as this news is extremely exciting, it also makes me mad as hell. It proves that George Lucas is a liar. Big time! How many times was he asked if the original versions would be made available on DVD, and each time he said they no longer exist? How many times did he say they would not be released on DVD, because these new versions are the final product? Every single time the man was asked, he said they would never be released in their original form.

I just can't respect the man, anymore. All for the sake of a dollar.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

*Faints*

Is this true? It'll be perfect next to my special editions! :D

While I still love my "edited" DVDs, I'm glad Lucas is finally going to release the originals! I always felt it was wrong to not release the originals, and while some may think it's just for another dollar, we're still getting the originals on DVD which is important! This is great news for fans(including myself) EVERYWHERE!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
(Escapay :P)

I guess all the Lucas jokes will stop now. :lol:
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

MadonnasManOne wrote:As much as this news is extremely exciting, it also makes me mad as hell. It proves that George Lucas is a liar. Big time! How many times was he asked if the original versions would be made available on DVD, and each time he said they no longer exist? How many times did he say they would not be released on DVD, because these new versions are the final product? Every single time the man was asked, he said they would never be released in their original form.

Well technically, Lucas will be a "money-eating fool" no matter what he does these days.

Even if he releases the originals like everyone wants, it won't help. :roll:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I can't believe I just saw that... WOW! Great news.

I will be picking these up in September. Finally be able to upgrade my VHS tapes of the originals.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

What the man should do is START MAKING NEW MOVIES!!!!!!!!!

He already has made MUCH more than enough money out of them, plus the endless merchandise AND videogames.

PS

Don't get too excited. Take a look at the SPECS: Dolby 2.0..... which means, that these editions won't be finals.

"You're only second rate!"
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

ABout Time, Even though Lucas said the print was no longer available for the first Star Wars
Dark Knight Rulez
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

glad it is finally coming, wish it had better than Dolby 2.0 sound though, but this is still really good news.
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Pardon my cynicism, but gosh - what a shock. :P

Well, it HAD to happen before the next generation of DVD, and it might be a money making excursion, but I'm really pleased with this.

I'll be in Hong Kong on the day of release, so I guess I'll be preordering somewhere...
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

MadonnasManOne wrote:As much as this news is extremely exciting, it also makes me mad as hell. It proves that George Lucas is a liar. Big time! How many times was he asked if the original versions would be made available on DVD, and each time he said they no longer exist? How many times did he say they would not be released on DVD, because these new versions are the final product? Every single time the man was asked, he said they would never be released in their original form.

Well, he lied about The Phantom Menace when they was initially released on VHS only (for shame, from a man who invented THX because he wanted the theatres to have the best possible presentation of his movies, and then he sanctioned a VHS only release of his latest epic?) and he lied about the big movie boxset too. Meh. But more to the point, he said it wasn't just artistic choice, but that the non-special edition copies didn't exist anymore. So not only did he lie, he made up a blatant untruth as an excuse to support his lie.

I'm really not surprised though. I'm more surprised people keep holding businesses like Lucasfilm and Disney to their words. This isn't a slam at either, but just because someone somewhere says something, it doesn't mean plans can't change in a few months time.

Keep this in mind about Song of the South. :)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

Finally; I'll actually buy this one. I suspected all along this would be released eventually... after they were sure as many people as possible had wasted their money on that CGI crap-fest version.

I don't even care if this one has bonus features, I'll buy it anyway (and knowing Lucas, it won't have jack given the absolute lack of respect he seems to have for his original work). All I'd really like them to do is remove that annoying blob from the Emperor's hood in the Throne Room scene of Episode VI, and I'll be happy. It's ironic that, after all these ridiculous additions and "improvements", the only really blatant technical glitch was never fixed.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Wow! I was shocked to read the title of this thread! That's great news! Now I can finally stop hearing all of those angry people who continue to whine about the films they originally saw not being on DVD.

But, even more importantly, many fans will now get to see that Han shot first! :P
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Finally, the original Star Wars Trilogy but September 12 is a horrible date because Smallville Season 5 and Grey's Anatomy will come out this day!!!

Oh, couldn't they release it a week earlier!!! :x
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Can't you buy it a week later?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

No, a week later Teen Titans Season Two and The Batman Season Two comes out!!!

Maybe I'll just pre order Star Wars Trilogy.... :roll:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
(Escapay :P)
:lol:

I was just about to do that!

Anyways, I'm really really hoping there's going to be some type of boxset, because I'd rather buy them in a box than individually. And of course, now I'll have an extra copy of the 2004 editions. Maybe I can give them to my cousin...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:What the man should do is START MAKING NEW MOVIES!!!!!!!!!
This may interest you: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/

And it should also be noted he's working on "Indiana Jones 4".
Evil Genie Jafar wrote: Don't get too excited. Take a look at the SPECS: Dolby 2.0..... which means, that these editions won't be finals.
Well, as long as it's on DVD, and the picture quality is excellent, I'll still be able to manage if the sound isn't 5.1.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Why are people complaining about the Dolby 2.0 Sound? Purists would do well to remember that not only were the originals without any computer effects, but they were without 5.1 sound as well. Too many people want too many things from LucasFilm Ltd. for them to keep up with. Not that they couldn't do it, but the mere fact that they don't have to should make one grateful for these originals with or without DTS.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote: Don't get too excited. Take a look at the SPECS: Dolby 2.0..... which means, that these editions won't be finals.
These are to be theatrical releases. These movies were never released in 5.1 in their original form. They're also using the video masters for this release, so they'll be better than laserdisc but not "remastered" like the 2004 set. (Again, like the original theatrical release.)

My only complaint is that they're going to be released individually, costing 90 dollars total. I guess we have to buy this bone if we want the originals in HD.

I was expecting them, but not this soon.