The Simpsons Movie

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

It was amazing, best movie of the year I say!

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of use of some characters. But that's not really the movies fault, I mean there are like over 300 characters and they can't all have a big part in a movie that's only 87 minutes long.

I was upset that Sideshow Bob's stuff got cut though. :cry: (that was my biggest disappointment) oh and Mr. Burns and Smithers desperately NEEDED to be in the movie more.

But it was still a fantastic movie, and that emotional scene with Marge nearly had me bawling like a baby.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

rexcrk wrote:oh and Mr. Burns and Smithers desperately NEEDED to be in the movie more.
And Chief Wiggum! He's my favorite character outside the Simpson family, so I was wanting to see a little more, but he had some great lines.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

OMG That movie was HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!

One line had me laughing forever.

When Lisa was with her crush(forget his name) and he said something and she did that HORRIBLE laugh. That was so funny.

And the "Boob-Lady'!

Movie Grade-A!
Anthony
Special Edition

Post by Anthony »

Boxofficemojo.com reports that The Simpsons Movie made an estimated $29.1 million on Friday alone! :o Pretty impressive, considering the show has been slipping in the ratings the past couple of years.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I knew that this movie would do one of two things:

(a) Make me feel as though I'd sat through 90 minutes of goodness.
(b) Make me feel as though my childhood had been raped.

Fortunately, it did the former. Yes, The Simpsons Movie proved to be a most excellent diversion. It wasn't a poor quality over-the-top piece like I thought it might possibly be, providing a strong plot and good satire, despite some low-brow moments. The references to older episodes (such as the crashed ambulance still wedged into the tree by the gorge) were also quite amusing.

The animation happened to look very good. The Simpsons has always looked quite good animation-wise (especially compared to Family Guy), but I think that the animation here was really adapted well to suit the big screen. Hopefully it will start to pave the way for an interest in big-screen traditional animation.

Overall, I think this gets around 8.5/10 from me.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

(Estimates) http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

1. The Simpsons Movie $71,850,000

Fri. $30,000,000
Sat. $23,200,000
Sun. $18,650,000
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Counting myself as one of the many people who has seen every conceivable Simpsons episodes countless times, I went into this film with some trepidation. After all, even the most generous fan would consider the last...ooh...5 to 10 years worth of episodes just 'not up to snuff'. There have been moments, but nothing next to the random anarchy of seasons 3 through 6. So with that frame of mind, I was pleasantly surprised.

The Simpsons Movie offers one of those bittersweet things for fans. If you are a fan of the show, you've put up with worse, and this is certainly better than the last few seasons. While it may not be as fresh as it was 20 years ago, it is still bloody funny. Many critics have said this "doesn't take enough risks", but I disagree: a Simpsons film after 20 years on the air could have risked alienated jaded fans even more, but instead it has restored the faith of many. If I wasn't outright laughing, I had a smile on my face throughout most of it.

Long story short, if this wasn't a Simpsons film, it would be hailed as one of the better comedies of the last few years. As a Simpsons film, it still deserves that mantle as it does what the show has forgotten about in recent years: for every bit of dumb comedy, you need to remember that the heart of the show is the family. In many ways, this has helped expand it into audiences who wouldn't normally appreciate the show.

If you've listened to the commentaries on the DVDs for the show, which are even funnier than the episodes sometimes, but the writers can sometimes come off as aloof and dare I say, arrogant. They view "fan" criticism with contempt, and often take it personally. They spend some time explaining jokes they think the audience didn't "get" and defend the declining quality of the show by saying every generation has its own few seasons to enjoy, and those that enjoyed the earlier years will look back on seasons 7-18 fondly one day (perhaps around the season 25 to 29 mark??? :) ) However, that defensive attitude seems to be absent in this film, as it is all about pleasing the fans with in-references and layer upon layer of gags.

It isn't perfect, but it's better than 99% of the other films I've seen lately.
Last edited by Loomis on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I saw the movie tonight and, athough never a big Simpsons fan, I did enjoy the movie immensly!! It was absolutey hilarious and better than I had expected. The plot was well structured the writing was a whole lot better than in the last TV seasons.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2359&p=l.htm

It looks like a huge success: $71.9 million
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't count the dollars just yet..............let's see what next weekend brings as a couple more biggies hit the box office for the summer - "The Bourne Ultimatum" among those that are being released the week of August 3.

I still don't understand what the big deal is about a cartoon that has been on television for nearly 20 years has to draw losers........errrr..........lovers into the theater. I still found that the movie was way too long, and some of the jokes were just retreads from seasons before.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

dvdjunkie wrote:Don't count the dollars just yet..............let's see what next weekend brings as a couple more biggies hit the box office for the summer - "The Bourne Ultimatum" among those that are being released the week of August 3.

I still don't understand what the big deal is about a cartoon that has been on television for nearly 20 years has to draw losers........errrr..........lovers into the theater. I still found that the movie was way too long, and some of the jokes were just retreads from seasons before.

"Why did we pay to watch this crap in the theatre when we could get it on TV for free?"
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

dvdjunkie wrote:Don't count the dollars just yet..............let's see what next weekend brings as a couple more biggies hit the box office for the summer - "The Bourne Ultimatum" among those that are being released the week of August 3.

well, obviously to you it wasn't funny, since you're like 65...
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

i loved this movie!!!
i saw it twice and i can't wait until it opens in mexico so i can watch it in spanish...

to the people that watched the WHOLE movie

*SPOILERS*

what do you think of maggie's first word???
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

rs_milo_whatever wrote:i loved this movie!!!
i saw it twice and i can't wait until it opens in mexico so i can watch it in spanish...

to the people that watched the WHOLE movie

*SPOILERS*

what do you think of maggie's first word???
To that, sir, I say:

That wasn't her first word. Her first word was "daddy", spoken in one of the earlier episodes involving Lisa's first word. Elizabeth Taylor did the voice. It was pretty something. However, I guess this is the first word the family heard her say, though...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

i remember that, but i meant if you think they'll make it soon, was it a joke, or it gave a possibility???
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Oh. Well, I think I read somewhere that they said it was a joke, which I'm actually fine with. I mean, crap, it took 18 years for this one to get made. Expect the sequel in 2025!
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
bennyb98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by bennyb98 »

I Loved this movie, again as everyone was saying, much better than I was hoping.

SPOILER:
Did anyone else just LOVE Ralph's line after seeing Bart naked? HAHA so funny
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

I loved that movie. I just saw it, it was hilarious. I loved how Lisa has a boyfriend and how he kept saying "it's not Bono". It'd be great if it is though. That'd be a good development. Hopefully both Colin and Spider-pig make it into the next season and future seasons/movies. I know that most people would see it as a ploy to get more ratings, and The Simpsons themselves have poked fun at that move, with that whole Roy character for that one episode, but I think they'd both add enormously to the dynamic of the show and contribute a feeling of freshness to it again. I think that they need those two new members of the cast to gain some cred back. I mean they've kind of stunk for about 5-8 and need to come out on top again, and even end the series on top. It'd be great if they finished the series feeling good, and not saying like "oh those last few seasons stunk, thank god they ended it". I think that Simpsons fans would love people to remember the show as "Oh man, that is show fricking funny, it was fantastic and brilliant for the first decade or so, then they started to slide downhill, but then with the movie they got better and then ended on a high". Who's with me?
-James
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

Saw it tonight... though there weren't a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, I was smiling throughout pretty much the whole thing. And it definately beats out the last few seasons worth of episodes in terms of humour. I'm glad they finally made it, though I still would prefer a Futurama movie.
dvdjunkie wrote:I still found that the movie was way too long, and some of the jokes were just retreads from seasons before.

According to IMDB it was only 87 minutes, which is about as close as you can cut it for a theatrical feature... it seems like they did everything possible to prevent it seeming over-long. Of all the complaints there are to choose from about movies in general, length makes the least sense to me for this particular movie.
neurotic_Donald_Duck
Limited Issue

Post by neurotic_Donald_Duck »

i saw it opening day and after the short hour and half i really enjoyed it
i havn't laughed out loud that much in a while!

3 1/2 out of 5
"As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating!"