The Lion King on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rnrlesnar
Gold Classic Collection

The Lion King on Broadway

Post by rnrlesnar »

Has anyone been to the New Amsterdam theater to see the Lion King? I'm going to the March 13th show next year, and we got the best $55 seats, up on the balcony, 3rd row, to the right. What kind of view can we expect? I imagine its a show where you want to see the whole stage to since a lot of stuff is probably going on.

It'll be my first time going to NYC. We're actually going mainly to see Wrestlemania XX. We get there Friday, so we have a full day and about a half day to see stuff. Going to see Wrestlemania and Brodway on the same weekend, you can't get any more cultured than that ;-)
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I was privileged enough to see TLKoB when it premiered here in Minneapolis. I was also up on the balcony, which has its good points and bad points. A few good points to that area - you can see everything, and even though you're way up and over, you're not left out of the action. Characters are up in the aisles during the Circle of Life sequence, and the performance carries well enough so that you don't have to strain to hear. :)
Some bad points - from what I can remember (this was 6 years ago, so bear with me) - are that you can see a bit too much at times from your vantage point; like all of the mechanics and technical stuff when sets shift or special effects go off. It can take some of the magic away. *shrug*

All in all, though, it's a fantastic experience, and as soon as I hear that they're comin' back to the Twin Cities, I'm buying tickets immediately.

Floor tickets, of course. ;)
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KinOO »

i've just seen it last weekend but at London.

All i can say without spoil your surprise is that the most wonderful show i've seen from all my life. The opening scene is amazingly done, the costumes are brillants and well done. Many effects are used ( Puppet, Shadows...).

And i admut that i cried during many scenes (the opening, ShadowLand, He LIves in you, and the Finale). IT was like i discovered the story for the first time.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I saw it back in '99. Still have the little brochure that came with my tix too. To be completely honest, I wasn't particularly into it. It had great production values, but while actually watching the play I couldn't help but think it was a bit shallow. I remember hearing Morning Report for the first time at the show and thinking "What the f**k is this?"
Last edited by Jack on Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Just be careful during the One By One/Entr'acte scene after the intermission-cast members swing around these birds from the balconies, and the lady in front of me got hit in the head with one.

But before you go, DO NOT buy the original broadway cast recording. The voices on it are so much better than they will be in the play (they're different actors, and it's live), and it will taint your view of the play.

But if you don't plan to see the play, buy the CD. There is no one on this earth with a voice more powerful than Heather Headley when she sings Shadowland.
Defy Gravity...
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

All the times I've been by there, and nope, never seen it. Broadway isn't really my thing, so much, anyway. I'm more into the IMAX theater at 68th & Broadway. :D
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Not seen it yet, nope. But I will be seeing it here on tour on March 21, 2004. Just seven months or so left. Sigh. Paitence is not one of my virtues, especially when it has an amazing cast recording that's almost never off.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Eeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Lion King stage show (re: our esteemed LK reviewer)

Post by Eeyore »

Read your review, where you mentioned that you have intentionally avoided the Lion King stage production. I have a question for you:

Are you NUTS!?

The stage show is freakin' *fantastic*. I flew across country to Toronto to see it (and money is *extremely* tight for me) and was blown away by how fantastic it was. And that was with a second rate "international" cast, not the Broadway folks. :)

I too believe Lion King is the best Disney film ever, and my favourite. The stage production is the film you love, the songs you love, the characters you love, the story you love. It's not a bastardization, or an insult to the film.

As Timon would say "You've got the chance to see your favourite film in a whole new light, and you're not going. And you're OK with that?"
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Eh, it just looks like it'd weaken the film I love. I'm sure it's really wonderful, but I've never been too big on Broadway plays and seeing how this is done with puppets and masks and a female Rafiki, and people playing the roles with something on top of their head...well, I'd rather not.

But I appreciate your feedback (it assures me that people HAVE read what I wrote...:)) and I'm glad you enjoyed the production you saw. :up:

Maybe...one day.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

Luke-have you finally gone crazy?????!!!!!!

The play is 10 times better than the movie! It's got new songs, new costumes, new genders...

It does have it's bad points (Morning Report-sheesh!) but they're made up for with it's good points (Shadowland makes me cry).

first, take the test-buy the Original Broadway Cast Recording (Heather Headley as Nala is phenomenal!) and if you like the new songs, see the play. If you hate them, don't.
But technically you're just like all those people who hate sequels just because they're DTV-you haven't seen the play, and you're pre-judging it.

NOt to be rude and pushy (and making this really long), but:

GO SEE THE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Defy Gravity...
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

You don't even like Lion King "all that much" - you can't understand how much I fear hating the way it construes my film. :P
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

The Off Broadway production is coming here to Indianapolis for a ton of shows. Not sure yet if I'm gonna take this in or not. I do have some of the same reservations as Luke, but I have seen productions both on and off Broadway and really enjoyed most of them.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I've seen Broadway plays and just about never liked them. Closest one to an "enjoyed it" was...hmm, 1776. And that didn't even have Feeny in it like the movie. ;)
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I actually wanted to give you the same feedback via forum or PM or something, Luke.

I completely agree with Eeyore - you really need to give this play a chance. I'm very much like you - I absolutely adore The Lion King film, but I'm really not much of a Broadway person. Most of the plays I've seen were through free tickets from my dad's drug company perks - back when those bigass drug companies could afford to give free stuff to doctors, anyway. ;)
Those plays were interesting enough, but forgettable. But the TLK play is truly not a typical Broadway play in the least. It isn't all exaggerated soap opera and musical soliloquy. It's not just some pretentious peacock production. It really does take the story of The Lion King and runs with it. It improves on it. It makes it an excellent experience.
I saw TLKoB when it premiered here in Minneapolis six years ago, and I still have a very positive memory of it. So much so that the moment I hear that it's coming back to the Twin Cities, I'm immediately buying tickets.

Plus, you said in your review that watching those "Stage" extras on the dvd put you off the idea of seeing it. Well - uh, compared to the real experience, those little "making-of" clips can't do it justice. Think of if you had never seen the animated film itself - would those horribly self-congratulatory, fluffy extras about the film's "making-of" encourage you to see the movie? If I saw nothing but a bunch of Disney suits singin' the praises of this film, I know I wouldn't be too moved.

So, I dunno - maybe you're one of those people that gets too affected by other incarnations of your favorite story. I'm sure there are Lord of the Rings book fans that simply will not see the movies, no matter how well-made they are. But Luke - I'm willing to bet you $50 that you won't be negatively affected by the stage show - it really is ultimately an improvement on the film. It doesn't degrade it whatsoever.

To make it as painless as possible, if you have easy access to the show, and find some cheap tickets - then go! I promise you won't regret it!! ^_^
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
XxSuRgEoxX

Post by XxSuRgEoxX »

I'm planning on seeing it when it comes to San Francisco in January. I'm not a huge Lion King fan but I've wanted to see this show since it came out. It looks fantastic.

I shared the same opinions as Luke when it came to the BATB show. When I actually saw it though it made me realize how great the movie was.. that it could be transformed into such a spectacular show was very cool. It gave me a greater appreciation for a film that I already loved.
Palan

Post by Palan »

I just heard the broadway soundtrack for the first time and I must say that was ... bad...
Just my personnel opinion but that could in no way live up to the movie's soundtrack. It may be better live but this is probably not something I'll listen to again.
michelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by michelle »

hmm...I think the Lion King is opening here in Sydney pretty soon too...
I wanna go see it but I heard that its booked out till May or something...
Eeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Eeyore »

XxSuRgEoxX wrote:I shared the same opinions as Luke when it came to the BATB show. When I actually saw it though it made me realize how great the movie was.. that it could be transformed into such a spectacular show was very cool. It gave me a greater appreciation for a film that I already loved.
I saw the Broadway version of BatB in Florida on my honeymoon. It was good, and I enjoyed it, but it didn't really add anything new to the "BatB experience" in my opinion.

The LK show was 10 times better.
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KinOO »

Seen it in London a mounth ago, and Luke you miss the most wonderful experience ever!

it was like i re-discovered the story for the first time.
The mise-en-scène is amazingly genious, the cotumes ans art puppets are wonderful, thumbs up for Julie Traymor and Rafiki as a woman is wayyy better!

I cried any times during the show, during the opening scene (My God i was like a child with all this animals moving and ancing together under Pride Rock), durin Shadowland (What a performance with the lionesse crying! Beauty!) and He Lives in You reprise ( the ghost of Mufasa... pure magic) and the end: King of Pride Rock.

Luke, you have to see it, it's the most enchanted, the most wonderful show i've ever seen in my life. Already plannig to see it again next year.
rnrlesnar
Gold Classic Collection

Lion King Broadway

Post by rnrlesnar »

I was in New York over the weekend to see Wrestlemania XX, and while I was there I saw the Lion King on broadway. I was expecting it to be good, but it surpassed all my expectations. It was by far the best show I've ever seen live. The music is great, the singing and acting is great, and the production value is very impressive. The person playing Scar stole the show. He did better than Jeremy Irons in my opionion. The added music esecially "Endless Night" and "Shadowlands" were very good and would have been great editions to the special edition DVD.

The stampede scene is done in a very creative way which gives a good effect. The best special effect scene was Mufasa's face appearing in the clouds. I can't explain it well enough to describe how it was done, all I can say it was done with lighting effects and stage hands holding up pieces of a mask to form the large head. It was amazing.

I now have trouble deciding which version I like better, the stage show or the movie. It was that good. It's not really fair to compare the two, but I was so impressed with the show. I really hope they release a DVD of the show to complement the movie DVD. If you get a chance to see the show, go see it.

It was my first time in NYC, and my reaction is "WOW!". What a great city. We were only there from Friday to Monday, and we managed to see a lot of the sites. Learning how to get around on the subways really helped us get around fast. Talk about sensory overload when in Times Square!