The Lion King on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm in New York, and yet I've made a point of NOT seeing it, because everything I've heard about it has turned me off. Even if most of the forum members tell me, otherwise. Perhaps if I were to view it entirely separate from the movie (my favorite Disney one), I could enjoy it. But that's pretty tough to do, since the characters and story are mostly the same.

First time in New York City? Wheeee! I can't really duplicate the sense of awe that wears away over time, but I can remember the experience.

Do anything else fun besides Wrestlemani and Lion King there?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Awesome. I haven't been to NYC, but hope to someday, at whcih time I'll see the Disney broadway shows! :)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
jambo*rafiki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jambo*rafiki »

I agree with rnrlesnar . . . this is a great, great musical, does perfect justice to the movie, is extremely creative and artistic and has wonderful songs. I've seen it twice now - and yes, the Mufasa appearing in the sky thing is my favorite part, and "They Live In You" is my favorite song.
"The names Cruuuuuuush. Emphasis on the U. But you can call me Crush."

"Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi apana!"

SAVE 2D!!!!!!!!
rnrlesnar
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rnrlesnar »

Luke, you really should go see it. It really complements the movie.

We were in NYC from Friday to Monday, and did as much as one could possibly do.

We got there around 4pm on Friday and headed straight to the Empire State Building and went to the observation deck. Then we walked to Grand Central Station, took a subway to Times Square, walked it up and down, then walked by NBC and Rockefeller center.

Saturday we took a ferry around Manhattan so we could get some close ups of the Statue of Liberty. It was really fun and we got to see a lot of the sites along the river and bay. Then we went to the financial district and ground zero area. That was a very eerie experience, but I'm glad I got to visit it. Then we watched the street performers at Washington Park. Then that night we saw Lion King.

Sunday we went and took a tour of Yankee Stadium which was awesome. Then we went to the American Museum of Natural History for a few hours. Then we walked in central park a few minutes just to be able to say we've been there. Then that night was Wrestlemania.

It was a very fun trip and I can't wait to go for a full week next year.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Luke Wrote:
Do anything else fun besides Wrestlemani and Lion King there?
What could be more fun to watch both Wrestlmania 20 and The Lion King in New York!

I wish I was their! :wink:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I have seen all of the Disney broadway shows, but in Chicago. The one time I was in New York was Spring of 2001 and I hated it. It's much to dirty and busy for my tastes, but I am getting too far off the topic. I have loved every Disney Broadway show, but "Lion King" was definateley the best, followed by "Beauty and the Beast," and "Aida" comeing in last. Don't get the impression that "Aida" was bad, it's just that I am more interested in the special effects than the show and while "Aida" had great music and sets, there was never a need for huge special effects that get used in BATB and LK. If you haven't seen any, you definatley should. And I hope "Mary Poppins" makes it's way to the U.S.
Yuki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Yuki »

I have heard many bad things about the broadway.
But I hope that I can see it someday...maybe when I visit the states this summer! I would especially like to see, "He lives in You" on broadway. I hope that it's as good as you say it is!
Homer: Marge, I'm bored
Marge: Why don't you read something?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom

“Who cares about what's on the disc? I think Disney Guru's concern with the cover artwork is the most important thing.”
~Luke
jambo*rafiki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jambo*rafiki »

Yuki wrote:I would especially like to see, "He lives in You" on broadway. I hope that it's as good as you say it is!
Oh, it is. I listen to that song every night before I go to bed! :D
"The names Cruuuuuuush. Emphasis on the U. But you can call me Crush."

"Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi apana!"

SAVE 2D!!!!!!!!
michelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by michelle »

I've got my tickets to see it here in Sydney this Easter! :D
D o w n . t h e . r a b b i t . h o l e . . .

W h e r e . d o e s . i t . g o ?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

As much as I want to see it, I hope it's nothing like the LK show at Animal Kingdom, which I thought was overall a disappointment, and didn't compliment the movie at all.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Funny you should mention this now. After 7 years of waiting, I'm (finally) seeing the touring company here this Sunday, and am nuts with anticipation. I will also be working on a full review afterwords, which will be posted here on the forum.

I hope it will be an exciting new way for me to re-experience the magic of the movie and am fuly expecting it to awaken the same raw, pure emotion and power in me that the movie did ten years ago. Having grown up on The Lion King, this will hopefully be a big treat.
Last edited by Jake Lipson on Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

This is very cool. I went to New York last summer but we saw 42nd street. It was good but I would have rather seen the Lion King. But this summer Lion King is comming over here on the west coast and i'm going to go see it then :D I'm so excited i can't wait :!:
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

the tour is closing up in Indianapolis. I chose not to see that one becuase I know that the Broadway version will be 10x better. It's sad that the guy who plays Adult Simba commited suicide
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

toonaspie wrote:the tour is closing up in Indianapolis. I chose not to see that one becuase I know that the Broadway version will be 10x better. It's sad that the guy who plays Adult Simba commited suicide
Do you know why he did?
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Grunches wrote:
toonaspie wrote:the tour is closing up in Indianapolis. I chose not to see that one becuase I know that the Broadway version will be 10x better. It's sad that the guy who plays Adult Simba commited suicide
Do you know why he did?
No, the article about the suicide is long gone. Are you gonna tell me or do you not know either?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Jason Raize is the actor you're thinking of. He originated the role of the adult Simba in the original Broadway production. He also played the voice of Denhai in Brother Bear. I can't remember the exact reason of his suicide, just something pertaining to depression (obviously) and being overwhelmed with his career.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

toonaspie wrote:
Grunches wrote: Do you know why he did?
No, the article about the suicide is long gone. Are you gonna tell me or do you not know either?
Oh no I wanted to know if you did. Sorry that didn't really make sense. :(
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Lion King Broadway Highlights at Sydney Easter Show - Thurs!

Post by Loomis »

The Lion King (One day only) Thursday 8 April 12noon and 2pm in The Amphitheatre

The cast of THE LION KING will be at the Show for one day only to perform highlights from the hit show including favourite songs, Circle of Life and Can You Feel the Love Tonight.

The following acts can be seen in The Amphitheatre throughout the Show. Dates and times vary.

http://www.eastershow.com.au/article.aspx?contentid=83
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Pics from Sean Hannity on Broadway

Post by musicradio77 »

From Talkradio WABC website (not Musicradio WABC website):

Sean Hannity was joined by Oliver North, Jackie Mason, Mark Levin and Curtis Sliwa on "The Lion King" Stage at the New Amsterdam Theatre. :shock: Here are some of the pics from the show. For example the pic was from the New Amsterdam "Lion King" stage.

Here are the pics.

Pictures from Sean Hannity on Broadway (from "The Lion King" stage)
george321

The Lion King: Broadway

Post by george321 »

Hello guys,
I have another question to ask. Does anyone know if The Lion King: Broadway CD is on Itunes? If yes can someone post a link? Thanks