Star Wars Marathon!!! (this weekend:Nov. 4- 6)

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Finished!!!

I don't know if it was becuase I had to stop after Episode 2 and then went to my friend's house to watch Episode 3, and then today watched the rest of them... but I didn't find that between Episode 3 and Episode 4 were tied that well.

Feelings:

- 19 years have passed since the Empire took over, but aside from the destruction of Leia's planet you don't get the feeling the galaxy was actually opressed. I think Lucas needed to show in the original trilogies scenes were you could see/feel the tirany. In that regard, the way Palpatine plot and took over in the prequels felt/seemed much more real as one could get to see that.

- As said, don't know if it was the way I wathed them or the way the were made. But I didn't get a different feeling from watching all 6. In fact, the first 3 (more specific, Episode 3 feel as just a backstory for Darth Vader's character; and yeah, I know that it was the idea, but what I mean is that they didn't add that much story to the "later" ones).

Big plot holes:

- Now we know C-3PO's memory was erased, but how come in all that time R2D2 didn't even try to tell him anything? Even though he wouldn't have believed him?

- How come Luke's uncle and aunt didn't recognice the droids?

- Obi Wan kept telling Luke that he was trained by Yoda. In my mind I just tried to make me believe that he was talking on how to come back from the afterlife. But he said it so many times you know something was wrong there.

- In the end Darth Vader could get to feel Luke's prescence and believed he was his son.... but how could he not felt Leia later on?

- Leia tells Luke she remembered her REAL mother.

- It takes practically a lifetime for a person to become a Jedi, and in how much time did Luke became one?

Sidenote:

Most shocking:

There were so many extremely cool and agile fights in the prequels that it makes the original's look very slow and lacking of emotion

"You're only second rate!"
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote: Big plot holes:

- Now we know C-3PO's memory was erased, but how come in all that time R2D2 didn't even try to tell him anything? Even though he wouldn't have believed him?

- Obi Wan kept telling Luke that he was trained by Yoda. In my mind I just tried to make me believe that he was talking on how to come back from the afterlife. But he said it so many times you know something was wrong there.

- In the end Darth Vader could get to feel Luke's prescence and believed he was his son.... but how could he not felt Leia later on?

- Leia tells Luke she remembered her REAL mother.

- It takes practically a lifetime for a person to become a Jedi, and in how much time did Luke became one?
-I think it makes R2s character more interesting. He knows everything that has happened. Why he didn't say anything? Who knows.

-Its been around 20 years. There are several droids that look like C3PO. They could have just forgot. Plus remember the last time they saw him he didn't have the gold plating.

-Obi-Wan was probably trained by Yoda at some point. Sure he was Qui-Gon's padawan, but in Episode II you see Yoda training the younglings. Obi-Wan was probably taught by Yoda when he was a youngling. So what he said was true, from a certain point of view.

-Vader never knew he had twins. He just knew of one baby, and he thought the child had died when Padme did. He never knew about Luke until after A New Hope. I'm sure there were several reports of a Skywalker blowing up the Death Star. Remember Vader said the force was strong in the pilot he was trying to shoot down in the trench run. He just connected the dots.

-Could Leia have remembered Padme? Maybe. She is a force sensitive person. The brief sec she was with Padme before she died she could have formed a memory of her though the force.

-Luke was given a Jedi crash course. He spent maybe a few weeks or so with Yoda. He learned the basics, but it was enough to hold off Vader and help turn his father back.

The reason the fights are slower in the Original Trilogy is because of special effects. Lucas didn't have the effects to make the fast pace lightsaber battles of the prequels in the late 70's early 80's.

Another explanation would be the Jedi/Sith were at their best in the Prequels. In the Originals you have a man in a walking iron lung with mechanical limbs, an old man that has been in hiding for 20 years, and a boy who has had a crash course in the Jedi arts. Because of this they want be able to perform the fast pace battles of the Prequels. I don't think that because they are slower that they lack emotion. The Luke/Vader battles are great, and there is a lot of emotion in them.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

From those explanation you gave me, the ones I disagree the most are:

1. I thought about C-3PO's lack of color made it impossible for the uncle/aunt to remember... but, what about the voice?

2. Leia's connection with the mother by a few seconds when she was born? :jawdrop:

... other thing, the way Obi Wan treated Yoda was as a master, with respect. In the originals he talks to him like his equal.

"You're only second rate!"
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:There were so many extremely cool and agile fights in the prequels that it makes the original's look very slow and lacking of emotion
Actually George has said many times that the first 3 show off jedi at its golden age. They know many techniques and are very skilled. After most of them are destroyed not many are there to advance the Jedi arts, thus making it look so primitive.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

DarthPrime wrote:
Evil Genie Jafar wrote: Big plot holes:

-I think it makes R2s character more interesting. He knows everything that has happened. Why he didn't say anything? Who knows.

quote]

I read all the books and In the newest series we learn more about R2-D2. He has memories that are locked away and you need codes to see them, if you put the wrong code in they are destroyed. The last memorey in this book Luke learns about Padme, It is a scene from Episode III.

As for Owen and Beru not remembering the droids, there are millions of droids and lots of them look alike, Even in a New Hope during the opening scene there is a silver Droid that looks just like C-3PO
Dark Knight Rulez
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Darn! I was too busy catching up with school work to do a marathon! :lol:

I did se Phantom Menace, which wasn't that good, too much comic-relief and the acting was pretty bad(with the exception of Liam Neeson). 5/10

I did buy Revenge of the Sith today, so I'll probably have a marathon next weekend. :)
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

Do you think that Revenge of the Sith will still be around 15 bucks at walmart on wednesday? I don't have school thursday or friday.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Not sure Alan. Wal-Marts prices vary by store. It should be $20 or less.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I was perusing the boards at imdb for ROTS, and came across this interesting way to watch the two trilogies:

A New Hope
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of he Sith
Return of the Jedi

His reasoning was this:

Because, if you watch ANH first, you will learn about the force and you will learn the false story of Luke's father being killed by Vader. Then in TPM, you will meet the Luke's father and think he will be betrayed by some other Jedi, maybe Mace. Same thing continues with AotC. Then, you go back to the OT and see ESB and learn that Luke's father and Vader are one and the same. This will probably be a bigger shock after meeting and knowing Anakin. Then show how this happened, so pop in RotS. Then see how it all ends in RotJ.

Gonna try this version on a friend of mine who has absolutely no idea what the story is for Star Wars (she chooses to dislike it because it's mainstream and she's not a big fan of a lot of mainstream movies, so she knows nothing about it except it's NOT the one with the Enterprise). Also, I'm gonna try watching it this way even though I know how it all ends. May make for an interesting type of marathon simply because the story will keep going back and forth.

I was thinking about the 2004 changes to the movie, and one that did not work out if viewed as 1-6 would definitely work in the 4-1-2-5-3-6 viewing mode

In the re-dubbed scene in ESB where Palpatine tells Vader that the one who destroyed the death star is the son of Anakin Skywalker, Vader goes "How is this possible" to which Palpatine says something like "Search your heart, you know it to be true". Now, if we were watching this as 1-6, you'd already know that Vader was Anakin. But watching as 4-1-2-5-3-6, it's adding to the fact that in your mind, Vader killed Anakin, and now that Vader knows Anakin had a son, he'd possibly want to kill him too.

Also, in RotJ, even though I detest its addition with a passion, the young-Anakin-as-the-ghost makes sense both ways (1-6 viewing or 4-1-2-5-3-6 viewing).

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Alan
Anniversary Edition

Post by Alan »

Mr. Toad wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: If you don't want to go, why are you going then? :?
Sounds like a lot more fun than watching movies.
It was kind of fun, although the uphill part was really painful. My entire body was sore, but its all gone now since its been more than a week since the trip.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Ok well now that I have the DVD of The Phantom Menace I ready to do the marathon (even thou I only have the full screen Attack of the Clones) but I realized that the way I want to do it (including the Clone Wars after Attack of the Clones and before Revenge of the Sith and the Ewoks: Caravan of Courage (Or The Ewok Adventure as first entitled) and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor after Return of the Jedi) would take about 19 hours so does anyone know how I should get ready or know when to start it so that I don’t doze off during any of the films (or toons in Clone Wars case)?

Off-topic but when should I do my Harry Potter so far marathon? Also what other movie marathons can I do with my poor trip-less spring break :( (that’s right now you see) ? I would do Indy but we only have the tapes not the DVDs and I don’t even know were they are also I would do American Pie (Far cry from Star Wars but fun to watch in a row) but I’ve done that too many times before.