Wallace & Gromit

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Well, Wallace & Gromit's new movie is adored by critcs. Let's hope audiences love it as much as they did. The two must-see movies for me right now are this and Corpse Bride. I'd better get to a theater.
- John
TashieGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TashieGirl »

I don't really know much about Wallace & Gromit but I'm kinda afraid that it isn't going to do well in the US(because it isn't American :roll:). I don't what to think of the flim, really. I never seen a Wallace & Gromit short before. :oops: I know, I'm such a idiot.
"But I guarantee you, if straight men had a period you would never hear the end of it."
-Margaret Cho
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Pasta67 wrote:Well, Wallace & Gromit's new movie is adored by critcs. Let's hope audiences love it as much as they did. The two must-see movies for me right now are this and Corpse Bride. I'd better get to a theater.
Not only that, but on Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 96%! One of the year's best reviewed movies, and the best reviewed animated film of the year! In fact when/if it gets a few more possitive reviews and turns out to be better reviewed than Antz, it'll be Dreamworks 2nd best reviewed animated movie(just behing the brilliant Chicken Run! :D ).
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:
Pasta67 wrote:Well, Wallace & Gromit's new movie is adored by critcs. Let's hope audiences love it as much as they did. The two must-see movies for me right now are this and Corpse Bride. I'd better get to a theater.
Not only that, but on Rotten Tomatoes, is has a 96%! One of the year's best reviewed movies, and the best reviewed animated film of the year! In fact when if it gets a few more possitive reviews and turns out better reviewed than Antz, it'll be Dreamworks 2nd biggest grossing animated movie(just behing the brilliant Chicken Run! :D ).
their highest grossing animated movie was Shrek 2, Chicken Run was almost a bomb at the box-office compared to Shrek 2.
However, Chicken Run is a great movie, and Shrek 2 is a pile of crap.
BTW how is this actually rated G? Isn't there too much excitment in it?
We live in a world where the MPAA thinks Lilo and Stich and Home on the Range are PG movies. :roll:
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

GhostHost wrote:
Timon/Pumba fan wrote: Not only that, but on Rotten Tomatoes, is has a 96%! One of the year's best reviewed movies, and the best reviewed animated film of the year! In fact when if it gets a few more possitive reviews and turns out better reviewed than Antz, it'll be Dreamworks 2nd biggest grossing animated movie(just behing the brilliant Chicken Run! :D ).
their highest grossing animated movie was Shrek 2, Chicken Run was almost a bomb at the box-office compared to Shrek 2.
We live in a world where the MPAA thinks Lilo and Stich and Home on the Range are PG movies. :roll:

:oops: It was a typo! Thanks.

I completely agree with everything you've just said though! :D
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

GhostHost wrote: their highest grossing animated movie was Shrek 2, Chicken Run was almost a bomb at the box-office compared to Shrek 2.
I personally believe the adjusted list is much better, which would put Snow White #1 at the box office off all time, Shrek 2 is around 10th.

I am still personally hoping W&G falls to 86% below Howl's Moving Castle. I am planning to see W&G, so by the time the Oscars come around, I can be sure that Howl's was the best animated movie even if I dosn't win the oscar.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

castleinthesky wrote:
GhostHost wrote: their highest grossing animated movie was Shrek 2, Chicken Run was almost a bomb at the box-office compared to Shrek 2.
I personally believe the adjusted list is much better, which would put Snow White #1 at the box office off all time, Shrek 2 is around 10th.

I am still personally hoping W&G falls to 86% below Howl's Moving Castle. I am planning to see W&G, so by the time the Oscars come around, I can be sure that Howl's was the best animated movie even if I dosn't win the oscar.
CastleintheSky, you will hate me forever...

I honestly tried to hate Wallace and Gromit, I really did. I wanted Howl's Moving Castle to reign supreme as the best animated feature of 2005 (at least in my eyes), but I left the theater with the opposite feeling. All of my Hayao Miyazaki biases aside, I have to say that Nick Park is the deserving winner this year. As much as I love Howl's Moving Castle, there is no way you can say it equaled the magic and sheer craft of Spirited Away. The last 30 minutes were shaky in terms of writing. :( I've seen about 30 films this year, and both are in my current Best Picture line-up, but Wallace and Gromit get the edge. Sorry Howl and Sophie.
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Prince Eric wrote:
castleinthesky wrote: I personally believe the adjusted list is much better, which would put Snow White #1 at the box office off all time, Shrek 2 is around 10th.

CastleintheSky, you will hate me forever...

I honestly tried to hate Wallace and Gromit, I really did. I wanted Howl's Moving Castle to reign supreme as the best animated feature of 2005 (at least in my eyes), but I left the theater with the opposite feeling. All of my Hayao Miyazaki biases aside, I have to say that Nick Park is the deserving winner this year. As much as I love Howl's Moving Castle, there is no way you can say it equaled the magic and sheer craft of Spirited Away. The last 30 minutes were shaky in terms of writing. :( I've seen about 30 films this year, and both are in my current Best Picture line-up, but Wallace and Gromit get the edge. Sorry Howl and Sophie.
:lol: That's funny how you put that. I really don't care if you thought it was better, because I will see for myself, when I go see the movie. If it is truly better I will state it here.

Something I dislike is however, how people are comparing it to Spirited Away. That is really unfair, considering Spirited Away is arguably the best animated movie of all time. Howl's had a few very minor flaws. Howl's is its own movie. That is why some critics said it was "bad", because it did not live up to Spirited Away. Yet, most of those critics had not seen any of the other Ghibli films to begin with.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

Saw this movie today, it was ok, Had a few good one liners in it
Dark Knight Rulez
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

I had no idea Wallace and Gromit came out today! :o I mean I guess I didn't pay attention to the release date, but I've been excited about this movie for a while and was quite shocked to read people have been "seeing" this.

Anyway, apparently my wish has come true! Wallace and Gromit
has defeated Antz and is now Dreamworks' 2nd best reviewed animated movie! Just behind the brilliant Chicken Run! :D Yet Dreamworks didn't even make those movies! :lol:

I'll definatly see this! It'll rock! :D The first time in 5 years Dreamworks will make a great(or decent in that case) animated movie.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

castleinthesky wrote:
Prince Eric wrote: CastleintheSky, you will hate me forever...

:lol: That's funny how you put that. I really don't care if you thought it was better, because I will see for myself, when I go see the movie. If it is truly better I will state it here.

Something I dislike is however, how people are comparing it to Spirited Away. That is really unfair, considering Spirited Away is arguably the best animated movie of all time. Howl's had a few very minor flaws. Howl's is its own movie. That is why some critics said it was "bad", because it did not live up to Spirited Away. Yet, most of those critics had not seen any of the other Ghibli films to begin with.
I'm not comparing the two films. Every film stands by itself, but when judging a movie, you have to go by the same standards. I think Howl's Moving Castle is better than 98% of animated films, but it's not a masterpiece like Spirited Away, which was flawless. It is possible for a director to have back-to-back masterpieces, but that wasn't the case here, unfortunately, which is why i said what I said. :)
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

"Oh my wow! :o :lol:"

That pretty much sums up my opinion of the Wallace & Gromit's new movie! :D This had it alll---comedy, romance, suspense, mystery... :D There were lots of jokes (even adult ones) in the film, but that's Dreamworks. The Madagascar Penguins short was extremely funny too! :) Out of all the Wallace & Gromit's out there, I think this tops it!

Madagascar Penguins: :lol:
after watching Wallace & Gromit: rotfl

In my opinion, I'd love to watch it again! :D
Hmm, the previews showed a new Dreamworks film (Over the Hedge) which looks interesting. It looks like...Madagascar + Toy Story + Shark Tale...and yes, for this film, they're using Famous actors (again). It was funny too...they're really releasing all these CGI moies!
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

The Over the Hedge preview ending with that lame burp the alpahbet joke is not a good sign.
The Madagascar Penguins short was better than Madgascar the movie.
WandG movie is great and highly recommended.
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Saw "Wallace and Gromit" last night and all I can say is "Wow!!!".

I went with total apprehension over this movie, I thought the previews were weak, but what a knockout of a movie. Lots of great one-liners, one of the better stories, and the stop-motion animation is amazing. Kudos to Dreamworks..........they have a giant hit on their hands!!!

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DonaldFauntleroy

Post by DonaldFauntleroy »

I can't wait for that film! Wallace and Gromit are awesome, Chicken Run was fantastic too! Does Shaun the Sheep make an appearance in this film?
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I dont remember seeing the sheep
Dark Knight Rulez
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

dvdjunkie wrote:Saw "Wallace and Gromit" last night and all I can say is "Wow!!!".

I went with total apprehension over this movie, I thought the previews were weak, but what a knockout of a movie. Lots of great one-liners, one of the better stories, and the stop-motion animation is amazing. Kudos to Dreamworks..........they have a giant hit on their hands!!!

If you mean Box Office wise, it dosn't look like it. Right now it is predicted to make no more than 15 million in its opening weekend. That isn't close to many estimates which had it in the lower 20's. It will probably have a lower weekend than Corpse Bride. Maybe it will have legs that get it money.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

castleinthesky wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:Saw "Wallace and Gromit" last night and all I can say is "Wow!!!".

If you mean Box Office wise, it dosn't look like it. Right now it is predicted to make no more than 15 million in its opening weekend. That isn't close to many estimates which had it in the lower 20's. It will probably have a lower weekend than Corpse Bride. Maybe it will have legs that get it money.
Yeah, I doubt Wallace and Gromit will recoup their money in the initial theatrical release. The advertising and promotion has been limited and there's really only a specific audience for the movie: Those who already know and love Wallace and Gromit. :lol: I'm sure word-of-mouth will help, though. If you're talking about reviews, then hands-down it's a critic's darling.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I agree about the weekend totals. It just shows that a very weak trailer and lack of the right kind of promotion can hurt a movie in its initial release. Let's hope that word of mouth gets around and put this film over the top. It has "classic" written all over it and I would like to see it become that status.

The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
yankees
Gold Classic Collection

Post by yankees »

I still have to see wallace and gromit and i hope to see it today or maybe sometime tomower.

Here Is The Box Office Of this weekend

1 Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit DW $16,100,000

2 Flightplan BV $10,788,000

3 In Her Shoes Fox $10,025,000

4 Two for the Money Uni. $8,380,000

5 The Gospel SGem $8,000,000

6 Tim Burton's Corpse Bride WB $6,540,000

7 Waiting... Lions $5,700,000

8 A History of Violence NL $5,125,000

9 Serenity Uni. $4,925,000

10 Into the Blue Sony $4,800,000

^ Yea So wallace and Gromit basically got as much money as we thought it would... im suprised fore the movie in her shoes did so low but i guess thats what happens when you have 3 snek previews of the film.

With Wallace and Gromith It should make around 60 to 70million in the end of its course... because halloween is basically still 3 weeks away and this is the only kids movie really out beside coprse and some parents wont take there kids to it. With Columbs day the movie should bring its total to what the coprse bride had opening weekend.

As For Coprse Bride Im Really surprised its doin this low i thought it would be where flightpllane is now
________
Uhwh
Last edited by yankees on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.