Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Vlad »

Ah, it's just my opinion. Didn't mean for it to sound arrogant.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't mean to make you feel you were arrogant! I didn't think you were! I meant it like "Thank you for confirming the film looks even better than before, that means to me it is a must-buy, and I will happily buy it!"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Yeah, Teppy. No one thinks you are arrogant!
We just all think you are a cape-wearing, blood-sucking vampire!!! :-p
(inside joke)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Haha, thanks, Marce and Duster :)
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I got my 4K set today... and happy to report that the blu ray indeed has the new transfer. Not only that, I got the DMC one which in includes the DVD, and it also sports the new transfer!

Though the difference between this version and the previous blu rays isn't as drastic as Cinderella's, there is definitely an increase in detail; the linework is stronger, the colors make more sense and... God bless the film grain.

Again, not as bad as Cinderella, but the previous versions has quite a few instances of disappearing lines (I notice this a lot with the queen's nose), and they are now present and clear.

Yay!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the info, Marce!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Awesome, Marce. Did the Movie Club edition come with a lithograph? Was it the same one they used for the 85th anniversary release from last year?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey Teppy,

No idea. My edition came with no lithograph, and it was brand new (sealed). Maybe there is a different one that does come with a a lithograph
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I went ahead and bought the DMC version as well. Have to have Snow White done perfectly, and in the highest definition in case I ever get that kind of TV!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I hope you like the new transfer, Duster!

I have compared it to the old one on the same screen and there is quite a jump in quality...
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I got both Cinderella and Snow White today. Gosh, the slipcovers are so beautiful.

Looking forward to watching them both this weekend.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ooooh Teppy... just wait till you see the new transfers!!! You will be floored, specially with Cinderella. It's like watching the film for the first time.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So, I got my copy of the DMC Snow White, and popped in the Blu-ray with the new transfer, and watched it with my friend, and...well, I didn't really notice any difference from when I had seen the film before! Except the Queen's costume looked bluer than I remembered. However, I'm glad I have the best restoration the film could get, and on 4K in case I ever get a 4K TV, and the film still does look extremely, exceptionally, lushly beautiful, and have a great emotional bunch of ending scenes. It still is the best of all of Walt's features...I mean, either it or Pinocchio!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey Duster,

The difference isn't as drastic as Cinderella, but for example, see if you compare the these shots with the previous blu ray:

- Opening scene of the queen, when she says "Alas for her... reveal her name". In the old transfer, her nose disappears and reappears a lot. In the new one, the nose remains.

- The two first shots of the queen when she is ordering the huntsman, her nose has the same disappearing issue in the old transfer. Plus, her lips used to be a sort of saturated pink (with some bleed!), now they are red.

And let's not forget the adjusted contrast, and FREAKIN FILM GRAIN. The old version had zero grain, unless it was an effects shot.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Marce82 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:28 pm Ooooh Teppy... just wait till you see the new transfers!!! You will be floored, specially with Cinderella. It's like watching the film for the first time.
I did watch Cinderella on Disney+, and you're right, the new restoration is gorgeous. I'm sure it will look even better on the disc.
Marce82 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:30 pm Hey Duster,

The difference isn't as drastic as Cinderella, but for example, see if you compare the these shots with the previous blu ray:

- Opening scene of the queen, when she says "Alas for her... reveal her name". In the old transfer, her nose disappears and reappears a lot. In the new one, the nose remains.

- The two first shots of the queen when she is ordering the huntsman, her nose has the same disappearing issue in the old transfer. Plus, her lips used to be a sort of saturated pink (with some bleed!), now they are red.

And let's not forget the adjusted contrast, and FREAKIN FILM GRAIN. The old version had zero grain, unless it was an effects shot.
I watched a few sequences, and I noticed how the Queen's nose is consistent throughout all shots, and how the linework is definitely more visible all around. I love how noticeable the brushstrokes are in the backgrounds as well.

To be honest, I never noticed how the film grain was absent in the previous restoration, and I thought that's how it's supposed to look, but now, I see it adds much to the filmic quality.

Also, I found this model sheet done by Marc Davis
Apparently, Snow White is 16 in the movie, not 14, as we previously thought.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

She’s so beautiful!

I absolutely love the animation of Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ooooh Teppy... the blu ray has way better quality/definition than the one on Disney+. You'll see! You won't regret your purchase.

That is a lovely model sheet... but read the corner: it's from 1971 and intended for book illustrations. I DO think SW looks more like she is 16 rather than 14.... but I just listened to the audio commentary for the film a couple of days ago, and Walt Disney himself keeps mentioning that she is supposed to be 14.

I don't think it really matters...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know where my other Snow White's are. I don't think I have my Signature in the house I live in with my friends. So I can't compare the new transfer to the old ones. But I am so glad the Queen's nose, the linework, the brush strokes, and the grain are all restored!

As for Snow White's age, I like knowing exactly what is fact in Disney films, so glad to know she is 14. I am also pretty sure notes say Cinderella is 18, not 19 like everyone else on the internet says for some reason.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Vlad wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:09 amApparently, Snow White is 16 in the movie, not 14, as we previously thought.
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully, people will stop spreading this rumor now. Someone should add her real age on the character's Wikipedia page. Her supposedly being 14 was a myth perpetuated online to tear down the character even further. There are so many pop culture articles out there claiming she's is 14 without any evidence or credible sources.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Sotiris, again... if you listen to the commentary, there are recordings of Walt himself saying "Snow White is supposed to sound like a 14 year old girl"... he mentions the age of 14 more than once.

I personally don't care about her age. Makes no difference to me.