To those who don't like Modern Disney Songs, what's your problem with it?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

To those who don't like Modern Disney Songs, what's your problem with it?

Post by reee9948 »

Just curious, do you think there is a genuine problem with how Disney structure their songs and lyrics or are you just not a fan of the modern singing style? How do you think modern Disney songs compare to the classics>
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Re: To those who don't like Modern Disney Songs, what's your problem with it?

Post by twihard »

The last Disney musicals I watched were the Frozen movies and I was not impressed. Way too poppish and not enough classic vibes. The only thing that felt somewhat like it could be a Disney song was the First time in Forever song. I think the worst one was Love opens doors with the twist prince. I feel like I could have been listening to that on the american MTV channel.

But I'll say this about the first Frozen movie that at least the songs are ones I can still remember bad as they are. THe second Frozen movie is a blank slate to me. don't remember a single song except there was a really awful one with the reindeer weirdo that shocked me at how unDisney it was.

I feel like the last classic Disney musical was Tangled and before that Tarzan. I miss those days :(

Disney is not Disney without the Sherman brothers and Alan Menken
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I have every Disney soundtrack through Pocahontas. Except for an occasional song since 1995, Disney soundtracks don’t appeal to me. I could listen to the soundtracks from Snow White to Pocahontas and be satisfied.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:49 am I have every Disney soundtrack through Pocahontas. Except for an occasional song since 1995, Disney soundtracks don’t appeal to me. I could listen to the soundtracks from Snow White to Pocahontas and be satisfied.
What don't you like about Hunchback, Hercules and Mulan?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I noticed a definite lack of quality in the scores post-Pocahontas.... just my opinion. The “hits” I had on various collections (Out There, Go The Distance, I Won’t Say It, Reflection, etc), so I didn’t feel the need to buy the individual CDs. I didn’t care for the songs in Tarzan and the later films at all. Or at least not enough to purchase the soundtracks. I thought the songs from Princess and the Frog and Tangled were particularly unmemorable compared to the scores from the Walt era films. I’m sure a great deal of it has to do with me and the era in which I was young. I don’t care for much popular music produced after the 1980s with rare exceptions.To me nothing can beat the Walt era film scores. Even with the films of the ‘90s, I only like 2-3 songs from each film and I rarely listen to the entire CDs.
Last edited by carolinakid on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

It blows my mind that some don't like the Tarzan ost, Its one of the best modern osts of our time imo. (by modern I guess I mean post Walt) I always hoped we would see one more Phil Collins lead ost, but sadly he seems far too frail to even consider coming out of retirement at this point.

For me, Disney songs went downhill once they brought in Lin-Manuel Miranda. Not all of his stuff is bad, I really don't care for most of it. I can't quite place what it is about it, but something is fundamentally different about it, maybe its too wordy or something?
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

carolinakid wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:49 am I noticed a definite lack of quality in the scores post-Pocahontas.... just my opinion. The “hits” I had on various collections (Out There, Go The Distance, I Won’t Say It, Reflection, etc), so I didn’t feel the need to buy the individual CDs. I didn’t care for the songs in Tarzan and the later films at all. Or at least not enough to purchase the soundtracks. I thought the songs from Princess and the Frog and Tangled were particularly unmemorable compared to the scores from the Walt era films. I’m sure a great deal of it has to do with me and the era in which I was young. I don’t care for much popular music produced after the 1980s with rare exceptions.To me nothing can beat the Walt era film scores. Even with the films of the ‘90s, I only like 2-3 songs from each film and I rarely listen to the entire CDs.
Hunchback is actually the most popular of the Stephen Schwartz albums. He said in an interview he gets more fanletters for Hunchback than the rest of his works combined. Also Alan Menken said he felt it was his greatest score. That unfortunately when Hunchback came out Menken felt that the Academy was getting tired of giving him the award every year so he felt there was backlash that year and why Hunchback did not win like his early films did. Crazy right! I don't think Menken has ever won again since then so that sounds right.

but I agree music for Disney went down around this time. I do like Tarzan's album though and think it's really inspired especially the demo songs. different but steel feels like Disney.
Kyle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:00 am It blows my mind that some don't like the Tarzan ost, Its one of the best modern osts of our time imo. (by modern I guess I mean post Walt) I always hoped we would see one more Phil Collins lead ost, but sadly he seems far too frail to even consider coming out of retirement at this point.

For me, Disney songs went downhill once they brought in Lin-Manuel Miranda. Not all of his stuff is bad, I really don't care for most of it. I can't quite place what it is about it, but something is fundamentally different about it, maybe its too wordy or something?
yes its excellent and such a great concept album. How old is he now? I still picture him young and hearty.

I feel even better now about not watching any of the movies with his songs. I don't think I even now which ones feature him. I only know him as the guy who replaced Dick van Dyke in that really awful Mary Poppins sequel and that americans went crazy over his musical on american history which apparently wasn't even accurate.