Meet the Robinsons

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Meet the Robinsons (2007) Discussion Thread

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think the BHG as he is suits the film's tone. The BHG is more like Kronk to Doris' Yzma to me, tbh. Doris' desired future is pretty threatening.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Meet the Robinsons

Post by singerguy04 »

I really like BHG overall. My only complaint is that he was written a little too dumb. I understand that he would've only had enough schooling as Goob would've had before dropping out, but I think his uneducatedness comes off as really dense and a little offensive towards people with complexes. Some of his jokes already seem dated in that perspective. Doris really saves him as a "villain" and I'd argue that he isn't really a villain at all. I think Doris provides a really dark and evil role, that in a way surprised me when I first saw the film. I think her future is absolutely terrifying.

Overall, I agree with Divinity here. BHG is nothing more than a henchman, and I think he fits the tone of the film.

I really think this is a hidden gem of a film, and I wish more people would give it a chance!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

MtR was going to use its own special castle logo but Lasseter wouldn't let them:
https://twitter.com/stevehatguy/status/ ... 95841?s=20
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Rewatched Meet the Robinsons in full for the first time since I saw it (and the Mickey Mouse short Boat Builders) back in 2007.

Such an underrated masterpiece that Disney of today could really use as a moral compass for after the failure of Wish at the box office in its opening weekend.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Stephen Anderson wrote:#meettherobinsons was always going to be called ‘A Day with Wilbur Robinson,’ like the original book. However some execs felt that title was too soft and wanted to change it. Here are two of the rejected ones.
https://twitter.com/stevehatguy/status/ ... 1011870083

(Tomorrowland: A Day With Wilbur Robinson, and Get Lewis)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I watched Meet the Robinsons maybe a year after it came out on DVD..... and I was surprised I didn’t hate it. I would definitely watch it again.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for sharing, Amy! I've updated the thread with the working titles of WDAS films.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

carolinakid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am I watched Meet the Robinsons maybe a year after it came out on DVD..... and I was surprised I didn’t hate it. I would definitely watch it again.
Yes, it's a good one. I loved the quote from Walt and it felt like the type of movie that actually honored and respected him...too bad eveything else Disney made after was not like this.

Get Lewis isn't a good title. Glad they scrapped that. I like the title Tomorrowland: A Day with Wilbur Robinson though.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

twihard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 pm
carolinakid wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am I watched Meet the Robinsons maybe a year after it came out on DVD..... and I was surprised I didn’t hate it. I would definitely watch it again.
Yes, it's a good one. I loved the quote from Walt and it felt like the type of movie that actually honored and respected him...too bad eveything else Disney made after was not like this.

Get Lewis isn't a good title. Glad they scrapped that. I like the title Tomorrowland: A Day with Wilbur Robinson though.
The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh (2011) didn’t disrespect nor dishonor Walt Disney, dude. Come now.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:05 am
twihard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 pm

The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh (2011) didn’t disrespect nor dishonor Walt Disney, dude. Come now.
I read some of your posts on here so I can guess where this is going but I'm just gonna say that I don't think something being hand-drawn over CGI automatically makes something more respectful to Walt Disney. And just to clarify, I prefer hand-drawn animation and am not a fan of the CGI Disney movies and how that's the default for animation now.

But even knowing that I do not automatically think that a movie that is hand-drawn is automatically superior or respectful. You can make a terrible movie that is hand-drawn and I would not consider that respectful to Walt. In fact, I would say the hand-drawn animation movies are scrutinized more now so they have no room for errors and have to be absolutely perfect to hold up on the bookshelf with Snow White, Pinocchio, Little mermaid, etc. I do not care for the Iger/Lassseter era and whatever I've seen from this era has been completely awful. Meet the Robinsons I think was an exception because it came during that transition period and wasn't really belonging to those people. For me it's bascially the last good Disney movie. I would rather watch that or Home on the Range or Chicken Little over new Disney like Frozen or Zootopia, the few that I have bothered to see anyway.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Happy 17th Anniversary, “Meet the Robinsons.”