Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2023

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2023

Post by Sotiris »

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won Best Feature at the Annie Awards. :down: Robot Dreams won Best Independent Feature. GKIDS clearly made a mistake submitting the film in the Feature instead of the Independent Feature category. Had they submitted it in the latter, The Boy and the Heron would have surely won.

On the upside, The Boy and the Heron won Best Animated Feature at the BAFTAs. :clap:

It's interesting that the most American-based Critics' Choice and Annies gave the top prize to Spider-Verse whereas the more international ones, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, gave it to The Boy and the Heron. I'm now worried about the Oscars given AMPAS' membership is predominantly American. :biting:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
friendoftheotherside

Post by friendoftheotherside »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:30 am Because they do. The animation and short film branch is overflown with Pixar and other CG filmmakers who resent or look down on the Disney Renaissance.
Iโ€™ve never heard of that :o Why they resent/look down on the Disney Renaissance, Sotiris?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:50 pm Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won Best Feature at the Annie Awards. :down: Robot Dreams won Best Independent Feature. GKIDS clearly made a mistake submitting the film in the Feature instead of the Independent Feature category. Had they submitted it in the latter, The Boy and the Heron would have surely won.

On the upside, The Boy and the Heron won Best Animated Feature at the BAFTAs. :clap:

It's interesting that the most American-based Critics' Choice and Annies gave the top prize to Spider-Verse whereas the more international ones, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, gave it to The Boy and the Heron. I'm now worried about the Oscars given AMPAS' membership is predominantly American. :biting:
Well they let Parasite win Best Picture in 2020 and Guilermo Del Toro's Pinocchio won last year, so I challenge your claim with that evidence to state my case that The Boy and the Heron will win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars since its becoming more diverse than it was before.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

I dunno where to put this, but it's interesting to note that the Annie Awards this year gave a Special Achievement Award to all the artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios. Is this a consolation prize for the studio since they don't have anything nominated for this year's ceremony, or maybe they felt "pity" for them due to the disappointing failure of the company's centennial movie, Wish? It could be both though.ย  :milkbuds:
Favorite Things Right Now:
1. edamame by bbno$ and Rich Brian (Song)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (Anime)
3. Ma Baker by Boney M. (Song)
4. The Boy and the Heron (Movie)
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures at the Producers Guild Awards. Unfortunately, this win increases the film's chances of taking home the Oscar. I hope I'm wrong.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

While having all animation under one branch makes sense, I'm worried this split might make indie and experimental shorts less likely to be nominated in the animated short category. The animation branch on its own skews much more Hollywood and mainstream whereas the Shorts branch is geared more towards indie and foreign films.

Oscars: Film Academy Splits Its Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Into Two
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235836376/

Why Separate Academy Animation and Short Film Branches Are Long Overdue
https://www.indiewire.com/features/anim ... 234957721/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 pm Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse won Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures at the Producers Guild Awards. Unfortunately, this win increases the film's chances of taking home the Oscar. I hope I'm wrong.
I still think Miyazaki wins it since the Oscars members seem to be divided over which film the award should go to.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

Congrats to The Boy and the Heron!!!
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

CONGRATULATIONS, THE BOY AND THE HERON๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ WHOOO!!!

Finally, Miyazaki can retire rotfl
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Congrats tBatH :D :thumb: :thumb: deserved win
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

YES!

Congratulations to Hayo Miyazaki on seeing his film #TheBoyAndTheHeron win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.

VIVA HAND-DRAWN ANIMATION!

Suck it, Sony Pictures, Avi Arad, Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

๐Ÿ–•

Thatโ€™s what you get for overworking animators to death on #AcrossTheSpiderVerse.

Perhaps now, youโ€™ll think twice about doing that, next time.

Time for mainstream Hollywood studios to have hand-drawn animated movies in theaters return.

And that goes for Disney too, in fact, if Bob Igerโ€™s watchin the Oscars now, I hope he sees #TheBoyAndTheHeronโ€™s win as a call to read the room to bring back 2D hand-drawn animation at Disney startinโ€™ w/ Walt Disney Animation Studios #ThePrincessAndTheFrog sequel series for Disney+ called #Tiana.

Itโ€™s time for the era of 3D/computer animationโ€ฆ

TO END.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:50 pm CONGRATULATIONS, THE BOY AND THE HERON๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ WHOOO!!!

Finally, Miyazaki can retire rotfl
he's not retiring. he's working on his next movie already. ppl think it's Nausicaa 2.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

To quote Palpatine, "A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one."

I was not expecting The Boy and the Heron to take home the gold in an awards show that usually would give the Best Animated Film award to a Disney or Pixar film out of alleged bias (even though I feel some of said films did deserve to win).

Except maybe Brave or Toy Story 4... :shifty:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm so glad The Boy and the Heron won! :D An absolutely breathtaking film that made me believe hand-drawn animation can still be produced today with the same high quality of the '90s and '00s. This is a win of various '2nds' as it marks the 2nd 2D-animated film, the 2nd Japanese film, the 2nd Ghibli film, the 2nd Miyazaki film to win the Oscar in the category. :P It's a shame it didn't win the Critics' Choice, the Annie or any of the Guild awards, but at least it won the big three (Golden Globe, Bafta, Oscar).

I knew "War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko" would win in the short animated film category. It was the only recognizable short among the nominees thanks to The Beatles connection. It was really a done deal after Once Upon a Time got shut out of the category.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

DisneyJedi wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 pm Except maybe Brave or Toy Story 4... :shifty:
Why do you hide? You're among friends.

Anyways, I have tremendous respect for Miyazaki and all he's done for animation, but I will admit that his films tend to be a hit or a miss for me personally. The Boy and the Heron isn't really even on my calendar.

I don't personally think this foretells any kind of hand-drawn renaissance, but it is interesting that this is only the second hand-drawn film to win for best animated picture, and the last one was also Miyazaki.
MoonMarc21
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MoonMarc21 »

Bruh, the first sentence sound so passive-aggressive and creepy coming from you, PatchofBlue, hehe :lol:

But I do agree with your last paragraph, The Boy and the Heron winning doesn't really mean the whole animation industry will have a major shift in doing hand-drawn animation again. It happened to Spirited Away when it won, most animation studios still pursued CGI animated films aside from Disney and Dreamworks animation at that time. Oh well, I'm still glad that a 2d animated film and a Studio Ghibli film won this time around since it was almost two decades when that happened; it's a major feat just like what GDT's Pinocchio did when it won. Heck, even if Klaus did win for Best Animated Feature instead of Toy Story 4 in 2019, it wouldn't really force studios to make 2d animation again, it would just enforce that stylized animation is "the future" or something like that.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:45 pm Bruh, the first sentence sound so passive-aggressive and creepy coming from you, PatchofBlue, hehe :lol:

But I do agree with your last paragraph, The Boy and the Heron winning doesn't really mean the whole animation industry will have a major shift in doing hand-drawn animation again. It happened to Spirited Away when it won, most animation studios still pursued CGI animated films aside from Disney and Dreamworks animation at that time. Oh well, I'm still glad that a 2d animated film and a Studio Ghibli film won this time around since it was almost two decades when that happened; it's a major feat just like what GDT's Pinocchio did when it won. Heck, even if Klaus did win for Best Animated Feature instead of Toy Story 4 in 2019, it wouldn't really force studios to make 2d animation again, it would just enforce that stylized animation is "the future" or something like that.
Then perhaps we need more 2D/hand-drawn films to keep winning this award so more movies get made.

My bet is the next one to win that award should be Genndy Tartakovskyโ€™s Fixed, assuming it doesnโ€™t get axed by Zaslav, since while Sony Pictures Animation made it, WB, via New Line Cinema, is distributing it
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

MoonMarc21 wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:45 pm Bruh, the first sentence sound so passive-aggressive and creepy coming from you, PatchofBlue, hehe :lol:

That said, we are going to be getting The Day The Earth Blew Up. That's 2D animation. Aang: The Last Airbender, too, is 2D. So is that... Bancroft production that escapes my head. So I don't think all hope is lost.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

JTurner wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:40 am

That said, we are going to be getting The Day The Earth Blew Up. That's 2D animation. Aang: The Last Airbender, too, is 2D. So is that... Bancroft production that escapes my head. So I don't think all hope is lost.
The animated movie about Jesus, I think.

Also, thereโ€™s Gennedy Tartakovskyโ€™s Fixed. Donโ€™t forget that too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim will be hand drawn as well.