Elio

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Elio

Post by D82 »

Marce82 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:07 am You are right, D82.

But I felt Turning Red pushed the whole anime influence WAY further... also noticeable in the thick ankles, and the extra glints in the characters' eyes. I see the thick ankles in Elio too.
Yes, you're right about that. Turning Red had a stronger anime influence. Luca, on the other hand, was a combination of several styles. Anime was one of them, but it was also inspired by Aardman, for example.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:24 pm Elio himself is cute, but the premise doesn't seem that interesting.
Elio's alright, not as cute as most of the concept art but still better than most of PIXAR's usual designs. I agree that the alien stuff isn't very interesting.

I like the new logo better as well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I was surprised there was no Elio trailer attached to Elemental at the theater today.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Curious. It played at my theater yesterday.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Elio delayed to Summer 2025 on June 13, 2025: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235629856/.

Guess Disney learned that having two Pixar films in the same year only does one of the two favors and wants to save Elio from being clobbered by a crowded March 2024 of releases like Kung Fu Panda 4, Dune Part 2 and Ghostbusters: Firehouse.
blackcauldron85

This might be a dumb question but I'm so curious: Animation must be well-underway, right? I know that for years, actors will periodically come in to record during production on a film. With 4.5 months from the original release date, how is the actors' strike affecting the release date? They surely wouldn't still be recording new dialogue this close to the original release date, right? Or is it more of a marketing thing, wanting to wait so the actors can do press/promotion?
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

My guess is that because voice acting is on hold for ALL their features, they can't really progress on whatever their 2025 offering was supposed to be, and since Pixar already has a 2024 release with Inside Out 2, they're just trying to cover their gaps in whatever way they can by having this one jump to the next year.
blackcauldron85

That makes sense, making sure they have some release in 2025. So Inside Out 2 must be about as far along in production as Elio if that's keeping its June release date...?
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 pm Elio delayed to Summer 2025 on June 13, 2025: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235629856/.

Guess Disney learned that having two Pixar films in the same year only does one of the two favors and wants to save Elio from being clobbered by a crowded March 2024 of releases like Kung Fu Panda 4, Dune Part 2 and Ghostbusters: Firehouse.
It's clearly not for that, it's because the movie releases in March, we are almost in November, the strike doesn't seem to end until 2024 and they probably havent recorded most of the movie with the voice cast
blackcauldron85

Elio was to be released in less than 5 months; I don't understand how they would not have finished recording voices and be knee-deep in animation...
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:57 am Elio was to be released in less than 5 months; I don't understand how they would not have finished recording voices and be knee-deep in animation...
The strike started in July, if you look at the Frozen 2 behind the scenes documentary you will see that they change the movies a lot until the last stage of the film production.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Pokenonbinary wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:46 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 pm Elio delayed to Summer 2025 on June 13, 2025: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235629856/.

It's clearly not for that, it's because the movie releases in March, we are almost in November, the strike doesn't seem to end until 2024 and they probably havent recorded most of the movie with the voice cast
It’s definitely not the strike, because a deal is rumored to be reached by Sunday or before November 1st, so it won’t last til 2024.

Plus according to people like Zach Pope, the movie is said to be really good.

So, I stand by my belief on why it was delayed and I don’t think it has to do with the strike.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

I'd feel safe saying it is at least an aftershock of the strike. Even if a deal is reached soon, which is unfortunately not a guarantee, it's not like everyone just goes back into the office on Monday. Things have to be rescheduled, and with the holidays coming up, there's a chance that Hollywood won't start working again until the New Year.
Pokenonbinary
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokenonbinary »

Exactly, Hollywood doesn't work during holidays

So even if a deal happens the 1st of November (I doubt it) they wouldn't start doing anything until January

Many movies have started in November but normally they stopped a few days for thanksgiving and then in December for Christmas and then for new year
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

PatchofBlue wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm My guess is that because voice acting is on hold for ALL their features, they can't really progress on whatever their 2025 offering was supposed to be, and since Pixar already has a 2024 release with Inside Out 2, they're just trying to cover their gaps in whatever way they can by having this one jump to the next year.
That's certainly a possibility. I believe it's either that or they want to make changes to the story and realized there's not enough time to record the new dialogue and animate everything before March. It's a shame we'll now have to wait one more year to see it, but maybe this will be good for the film, as now its creators will have more time to work on it and perfect it.
blackcauldron85

Not that it matters, but just reading about Moana, + this reminded me about what we were talking about with Elio's delay:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Moana_(film)#Development
Dialogue recording for the film was completed on July 16, 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moana_%28 ... prov=sfla1

Several major story problems were identified in 2015 after the film had already transitioned from development into production, but computer-generated films tend to have much shorter production schedules and much larger animation teams (in this case, about 90 animators) than traditionally animated films.

So I guess it's possible that they could have still been recording dialogue this late and still made the March release date...
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

I don't know, dude. According to Zach Pope, he heard the movie was great, despite the first teaser trailer not being the best way of making the movie. So, maybe this is just something that Moana had to worry about.

Though I do think this is a good sign that Wish got all its voice recordings completed prior to the actors strike.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Last year a source told me that Pixar was really disappointed in ELIO during its production and knew it needed desperate fixing. But you don't need me to tell you that, the release date push speaks for itself.
https://x.com/AndrewJ626/status/1760889558164779013?s=20
A girl that works at Pixar came into the coffee shop I work at and we talked about this movie and how around thanksgiving time they had to scrap and completely rewrite this, and inside out 2 basically took over the production of this. She was chill and gave me pins
https://x.com/PowerfulPaper/status/1760868569758195846?s=20
The resources going into elio got poured into inside out 2 to get it released this year while it elio got rewritten
https://x.com/PowerfulPaper/status/1760897868787855633?s=20
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

I'm not sure I buy this when Zach Pope is out there saying, three times, that Elio is good, or at least tested well with audiences, and if that were true, they would have replaced Adrian Molina with someone else, a la Brave and The Good Dinosaur. But they didn't. So, I'd rather wait for trades to confirm this.
blackcauldron85

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:24 pm and if that were true, they would have replaced Adrian Molina with someone else, a la Brave and The Good Dinosaur. But they didn't.
Maybe Pete Docter isn't as keen to replace directors like Lasseter was?

I'm still really looking forward to this film. I trust Pixar so... hopefully it still comes out and will be great.