What is the problem with Modern Disney movies having a message compared to the 90s?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

What is the problem with Modern Disney movies having a message compared to the 90s?

Post by reee9948 »

I know many of you guys have problem with the recent movies Disney have been putting out, but I want to know specifically why you hate the "messages" the movies are trying to sent. Is it the message itself you have a problem or the way the show it? Cause I know many of you don't appreciate being lectured to (I don't), but many of the same people who hate the modern movies enjoys the 90s Disney movies which has a lot of important messages and ground breaking movies like Mulan portraying sexism or Pocahontas portraying Racism.

All of the 90s Disney movies have been well received by the audiences and for their ground breaking stories, characters, and songs. Many of those who enjoyed the 90s Disney movies also talk about how good the message or lessons the movies are, but the same people don't like the messages or lessons in the modern Disney movies. So I want to know what is your problem is with the Modern Disney messages.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: What is the problem with Modern Disney movies having a message compared to the 90s?

Post by Mooky »

Interesting topic to discuss. For me personally, the issue isn't the message itself as I like entertainment that has something to say and teach me (as long as it's not preachy), it's the way the message is integrated into a movie. For older movies, the story came first and most of the times the message/moral was already present in the story adapted (don't judge a book by its cover; have faith/be kind and you'll be rewarded; women are as equally capable as men are, etc, etc.), or it comes out organically without ever being spelled out or spoken out loud. For example, the way Aladdin defeats Jafar, it's such a clever resolution of the conflict and a great illustration of "brain over brawn".

In newer movies, it appears it's the message they want to convey that comes first and then they try to build the whole movie around it. Which whatever, fine, that's what allegories are for. But... They actually embed it in the script, and have characters repeat it so many times that it becomes meaningless in the end. Such banalization just takes away from any subtlety the message may have and it feels moralizing, and it rubs people the wrong way. It's the bastardization of the "show, don't tell" rule. Raya is one of the more egregious examples with how many times they talk about trust/trusting/learning to trust/trust issues. If it was a drinking game, you'd be wasted 15 minutes into the movie.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What is the problem with Modern Disney movies having a message compared to the 90s?

Post by Disney Duster »

Mooky wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pmRaya is one of the more egregious examples with how many times they talk about trust/trusting/learning to trust/trust issues. If it was a drinking game, you'd be wasted 15 minutes into the movie.
LOL! rotfl
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I agree with everything Mooky said. Very well expressed.

And as much as I like Hercules... the moment at the end when Zeus spells out the message of the movie, it always makes me cringe. Hahahah.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I agree with Mooky. The problem with modern movies is the lack of subtlety. Modern audiences need to have everything specifically said. Nothing's implied.
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

okay this is my real last post but i saw this and had to respond. I agree with this so much. 90s movies were not moralizing. they had messages which were blended in with entertainment and felt genuine like love the earth, don't judge a book by its cover, appearances aren't everything, etc.

frozen's message is....don't marry a man you just met? Um okay. Thanx for sharing. Bye.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

twihard wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:03 pm okay this is my real last post but i saw this and had to respond. I agree with this so much. 90s movies were not moralizing. they had messages which were blended in with entertainment and felt genuine like love the earth, don't judge a book by its cover, appearances aren't everything, etc.
frozen's message is....don't marry a man you just met? Um okay. Thanx for sharing. Bye.
This was never the main message imo. This one was only in the movie to make it seem like an untraditional and "modern" take on fairytales and to fight with that against critizism of how many Disney couples fall in love after a short amount of time. The heart of the story was always that you shouldnt be afraid of what makes you different and just show yourself and being proud of who you are, which is a beautiful message (thats why the sequel was pointless as Elsa learns nothing new). And they didnt throw that message into your face like in later movies like Raya where they talk about trust every 2 Minutes :roll: (atleast it had a message tho).
But I agree that the 90s movies blend in their messages way more natural into the storyline and i think there messages were more universal in general, while later disney movies had no real reason to exist, like Frozen 2 or Wish. :huh:

Also welcome to the forum, twihard :wave:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
twihard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by twihard »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:56 am
twihard wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:03 pm okay this is my real last post but i saw this and had to respond. I agree with this so much. 90s movies were not moralizing. they had messages which were blended in with entertainment and felt genuine like love the earth, don't judge a book by its cover, appearances aren't everything, etc.
This was never the main message imo. This one was only in the movie to make it seem like an untraditional and "modern" take on fairytales and to fight with that against critizism of how many Disney couples fall in love after a short amount of time. The heart of the story was always that you shouldnt be afraid of what makes you different and just show yourself and being proud of who you are, which is a beautiful message (thats why the sequel was pointless as Elsa learns nothing new). And they didnt throw that message into your face like in later movies like Raya where they talk about trust every 2 Minutes :roll: (atleast it had a message tho).
But I agree that the 90s movies blend in their messages way more natural into the storyline and i think there messages were more universal in general, while later disney movies had no real reason to exist, like Frozen 2 or Wish. :huh:

Also welcome to the forum, twihard :wave:
yes that's true. :up: When I think of Frozen's message I think of Elsa saying you can't marry a man you just met cuz that meme was everywhere online but your right that Frozen does have the main message to not be afraid of who you are and what makes you you although I think other Disney movies did that message much better like Dumbo. Hercules sorta also has that message in the beginning when teen Hercules (jerkules) is clumsy and his strength makes him destroy everything and he's bullied by other teens. But I think it doesn't work as well in Hercules. Even Aladdin has the message to be yourself and not lie or hide who you are.

Frozen seems very confused on how many messages it has. There's the being yourself, don't marry a man you just met, never give up on family, etc. but also a weird message that you can't marry a man you just met but the very next guy you meet who you've known for even shorter of a time you can go ahead and declare its true love. :lol: so i never took that very seriously cuz it sounded like Disney wanted to have its cake and eat it too.

Also thank you so much!! Loved reading your response :wave:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Frozen's main message is that love is an open door, and not to slam the door on a relationship. In other words, you have to open yourself up to the possibility of being hurt by others in order to feel love. Elsa used closing the door (first at the castle and then again, just a different way, during "Let It Go") as the method for protecting herself and others because she was taught that, but in reality it weakened her because love was the way to control her powers and it also opened their family up to a monster like Hans being able to manipulate their broken relationship to his advantage.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"