A new Star Wars trilogy

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

A new Star Wars trilogy

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/174687 ... -lucasfilm

Rian Johnson:
My entire pitch to Kathleen Kennedy and Disney was, 'Let's tell a new Star Wars story. Let's tell one story over three movies, where we go new places and meet new people. It's a brand new story that feels like a great Star Wars story.' That was the extent of it. I didn't pitch an idea or a time or anything like that. It was just bright blue sky to tell a new story in, and they were so excited about it. Honestly, I've been the rigamarole of releasing this movie so I'm just starting to form clusters of ideas for the trilogy, but really the most exciting thing right now is the potential of it.
Why not use the original Marvel comic books from the 70s and 80s as an inspiration? They have so much potential. If we are going to get entirely new characters, a new storyline and everything else, but somehow connected to the already existing Star Wars universe, let's hope it is completely independent from the other movies. No stories about what happened between or before already existing stories. Why not make it in the "present", but completely unconnected to what has happed so far. Or in the future. With Rogue One, the Solo movie and the prequels, there is always the danger that fans can get tired of things that happened in the past in the Star Wars universe.

Instead of making a list of things that would be cool to see, it is easier to make a list of what would be great to exclude.
No jedis, lightsabers or the Force. All the references to the Force is getting tiresome. Rouge One was refreshing in that regard, except from the scene near the end where we get some of the usual chant.
And no Yoda philosophies. No more "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the dark side".
And of course; no gungans. Or more Death Stars.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to see something that focused on robots and alien forms of life.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: A new Star Wars trilogy

Post by Disney Duster »

But lightsabers, Jedis, and the Force are what Star Wars is about.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm definitely for more droids and aliens. #I<3Gungans #I<3Porgs

The thing with Star Wars now is there are so many possibilities for all sorts of stories. Not only are we getting Rian's new trilogy, but we'll have all the stand-alone movies, too. I'm really hoping for a one-off movie about the history of the Jedi. #I<3Yoda

I think that at the heart and soul of the Star Wars universe, is, well, war. But then we also got the Ewoks movies (I haven't seen them since I was a kid, and they're expensive on Amazon, but I'd like to buy them eventually to watch them again). And I know that a lot of Star Wars fans are against "cute" Star Wars, so I'm not sure what the future will bring. I wonder if they'll have different shows, if not movies, aiming at younger audience, like Ewoks.

I think it's easier to speculate on what the individual stand-alone movies might offer vs. what Rian's new trilogy will. Maybe a stand-alone movie on the environment, how the wars have ravaged the environment or resources, and an animal/resource needs to be saved...? Maybe get in on the Princess action by having another planet w/ a princess... Backstory on the wookiees (besides the Holiday Special!), or whatever creature Yoda is. I'd be all for a Gungan movie, but that's probably not going to happen! And I want more Porgs.

I like the Jedi and lightsabers and the good vs. evil. But there are so many spin-offs that will be able to wear all sorts of hats within the SW universe.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Disney Duster wrote:But lightsabers, Jedis, and the Force are what Star Wars is about.
It may be essential for the Star Wars universe, but is it essential for every single movie in the Star Wars universe? If you look at the Marvel universe (especially the comics, which are more diverse than the movies), we have mutants, monsters, wizards, superheroes, cosmic entities, vigilants, demons, aliens, gods and robots. It would probably be healthy for Star Wars to expand its universe a bit, and dedicates some of the movies on more than just jedis and rebels.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I think it's easier to speculate on what the individual stand-alone movies might offer vs. what Rian's new trilogy will. Maybe a stand-alone movie on the environment, how the wars have ravaged the environment or resources, and an animal/resource needs to be saved...? Maybe get in on the Princess action by having another planet w/ a princess... Backstory on the wookiees (besides the Holiday Special!), or whatever creature Yoda is.
Considering the huge amounts of gigantic ships and death stars, maybe someone get the idea of letting us know where they get all their materials from. Or make a movie with some ecological message considering all the planets with unique floras and faunas that have been turned into rubble. It would also have been very interesting to follow the adventures of a jedi that has crossed over and turned into an energy ghost (or whatever they are called). But that would possibly be a challenge too big scriptwise.
blackcauldron85

^ I like all of your ideas! Spoiler for TLJ: Benicio Del Toro's character DJ popped in my head when you mentioned they could make a movie about how they get their resources- some characters being not as pure as a Jedi, but not as evil as a Sith could be involved [I mean, obviously characters like that have always existed, like Han and Lando. I think that that's an intriguing idea, kind of how do these characters, these inhabitants, get by day-to-day.

I think following a force ghost from life to the afterlife is intriguing too-- maybe they could roll that into the Jedi/Yoda backstory that I'm craving!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:But lightsabers, Jedis, and the Force are what Star Wars is about.
It may be essential for the Star Wars universe, but is it essential for every single movie in the Star Wars universe? If you look at the Marvel universe (especially the comics, which are more diverse than the movies), we have mutants, monsters, wizards, superheroes, cosmic entities, vigilants, demons, aliens, gods and robots. It would probably be healthy for Star Wars to expand its universe a bit, and dedicates some of the movies on more than just jedis and rebels.
Yes, well, I feel like at least the heart of Star Wars is humans. Robots and aliens I consider just what aid the human stories. And I agree with blackcauldron85, that it has to do with war, too. So have humans and war and the Force, and then I guess you could add whatever to them and go anywhere with those things.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

War is an industry, and involves millions of individuals in a galactic empire. So whole societies and planets must be devoted to extracting resources and manufacturing alone. Maybe something like steampunk, for the lack of a better word since we are talking about the concept of a "used future", but with modern technology. Many of these probably don't even know if they are working for the good or the bad guys. Or even care if they do, since nothing would change their own lives anyway. Perhaps some characters like that finally escape their planet and enter interstellar space for the first time.
blackcauldron85 wrote:I think following a force ghost from life to the afterlife is intriguing too-- maybe they could roll that into the Jedi/Yoda backstory that I'm craving!
Yoda's backstory from his early days when he was still a young and arrogant frat boy who spent most of his days chasing girls; "very attractive, this stud finds you". Well, maybe not that kind of backstory, but there should be some potential out there. Especially the afterlife is still unknown territory just waiting to be explored.
Disney Duster wrote:Yes, well, I feel like at least the heart of Star Wars is humans. Robots and aliens I consider just what aid the human stories. And I agree with blackcauldron85, that it has to do with war, too. So have humans and war and the Force, and then I guess you could add whatever to them and go anywhere with those things.
I think a movie without human main characters could actually work, but Disney would probably not take the risk. But a plot that puts for instance robots in the main focus, like a planet without any organic life and populated with robots, would be fascinating. War is part of the backdrop of the Star Wars universe, but does it have to be the plot driver in all the stories? In the main storyline it probably has to, but the spin-offs is another story.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The only way this can work is if it's part of the spin-off series and not the main saga because the saga should definitely (without question) focus on the Skywalker family. If you have X-XII with no Skywalkers, then it doesn't work in my opinion.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, ok. Well I guess anything with some kind of relation to Skywalker family would work, be it a planet where...ok a planet of all robots and no organic life wouldn't work because a planet itself if organic, but I guess anything else.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:The only way this can work is if it's part of the spin-off series and not the main saga because the saga should definitely (without question) focus on the Skywalker family. If you have X-XII with no Skywalkers, then it doesn't work in my opinion.
The spinoffs have endless possibilities, so why not a spinoff trilogy? The main storyline can continue to evolve in its own direction.
Disney Duster wrote:A planet of all robots and no organic life wouldn't work because a planet itself if organic
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Of course a planet could be populated with nothing but inorganic life (except organic visitors). And a planet itself is never organic. Yes, planets like Earth with a lot of life has a unique geosphere that has evolved hand in hand with life for billions of years and has minerals not found on lifeless planets. You could just as well ask if a termite mound is alive since it's a part of the termite colony. But that's another topic. Either way, a planet where organic life is absent can host robots just as well, or even better, as a planet with organic life. Also, while robots are traditionally made of metal, they could also be made from alternative materials like polymers. And yes, even artificial organic substances.

And just to add another comment to the original topic:

No "oracle" characters like Besalisk or the (in my opinion) horrible Maz Kanata. "I know someone who happens to have absolutely all the knowledge and connections we need".

And regarding the war; why not let the resistance win and then see what happens when there is suddenly a power vacuum where there once was a galactic empire. There could be several new fractions fighting each others or making alliances that could be material for a whole new series.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yes you're right planets are natural is what I meant not organic. Robots are not found in nature I mean.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Yes, someone would of course need to create the robots before they populate a planet.
blackcauldron85

‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo Benioff & Weiss To Pilot New ‘Star Wars’ Movie Series
http://deadline.com/2018/02/star-wars-t ... 202279600/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Wow, another trilogy alongside Rian Johnson's trilogy. That's really exciting!
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Ulfhammer

Post by Ulfhammer »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:It may be essential for the Star Wars universe, but is it essential for every single movie in the Star Wars universe? If you look at the Marvel universe (especially the comics, which are more diverse than the movies), we have mutants, monsters, wizards, superheroes, cosmic entities, vigilants, demons, aliens, gods and robots. It would probably be healthy for Star Wars to expand its universe a bit, and dedicates some of the movies on more than just jedis and rebels.
This got me thinking of the Expanded Universe. I love the Zahn novels and I remember how disappointed I was when I found they were doing the prequals instead of any expanded universe content. Talon Karrde, Thrawn and Mara Jade were great characters. I'd love to see something done with them on the big screen. Alas I recall at one point Lucasfilm's saying they were divorcing all the EU content. I'm not sure if that's still true or not.

As for Marvel, fundamentally they are all super hero comics and that's what ties them together. That's what I think of when I think Marvel. Of course they also make Star Wars comics. If Marvel tried to sell me a Star Wars comic by marketing it as an X-Men book I wouldn't be too thrilled even though they all technically fall under the same banner.

Star Wars it has a very distinct brand of it's own with it's unique trappings. I think it's fine to tell one off stories within that brand that aren't connected to the larger narrative but they need to have the trappings. If I'm going to see a SW movie that doesn't have space battles, light-saber duels or force powers, then why call it Star Wars in the first place. I mean it's right there in the name and everything.
blackcauldron85

Ulfhammer wrote:Alas I recall at one point Lucasfilm's saying they were divorcing all the EU content. I'm not sure if that's still true or not
Yeah, the EU books have been rebranded "Legends," & they're not canon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... w9eoX406Y7
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Ulfhammer wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote: This got me thinking of the Expanded Universe. I love the Zahn novels and I remember how disappointed I was when I found they were doing the prequals instead of any expanded universe content. Talon Karrde, Thrawn and Mara Jade were great characters. I'd love to see something done with them on the big screen. Alas I recall at one point Lucasfilm's saying they were divorcing all the EU content. I'm not sure if that's still true or not.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Yeah, the EU books have been rebranded "Legends," & they're not canon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... w9eoX406Y7
Disney does take elements from the EU and make them canon though. Thrawn for example, because Zahn wrote a book for him and a sequel is coming out this year featuring him with Darth Vader. Also Thrawn was included in Star Wars Rebels. Mara Jade is popular enough that I could see her being absorbed into Disney as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Adam Driver says Kylo Ren’s Star Wars arc was changed, he was originally more 'committed' to the dark side
https://ew.com/adam-driver-kylo-ren-sta ... er-8415981