Quest for Camelot

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Quest for Camelot

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well I bought this as a blind buy the other day, since it was a non disney animated movie in it's OAR, which is apparently something to be celebrated since you can never find them that way.

I found the movie to be a bit of a let down as a whole, I think it had so much potential and a good story premiss, minus the metal men monsters, but I just don't think Warner Bros. handled it very well. Still there were many enjoyable parts, I thought a lot of the music was nice, but unlike disney, they did not seem to have the knack of introducing the songs smoothly into the movie, they often just poped in, so that was one thing that was not handeld well, but the love song between Kayley and Garrett was well handled and well done.

I would recommend picking this up, as it is only $5.88 at your local Wal-Mart which is just over the price of a video rental. Judge for yourself whether or not you like it. :)

For those of you who have seen it and remember it, what did you think of it?
Defy Gravity
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

Quest For Camelot is not a bad movie at all. I like its graphic style and the story as well, but In my opinion it hasn't been handled in a effective way.

I'd like to tell you more things about this movie, but my poor English skill doesn't let me. :(
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

"Quest for Camelot"

Post by musicradio77 »

I remember seeing the movie "Quest for Camelot" and it was an excellent movie, and it was not a Disney animated film. It was about an adventurous girl, a young blind hermit and a goofy two headed dragon race to find the lost sword Excalibur to save King Arthur and Camelot. The film also features the song "The Prayer". That song was sung by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion, Celine was not sung in the closing credits of film but it was from the CD "These Are Special Times" and on Andrea's CD "Sogno". The remake of the song was sung by Josh Groban and Charlotte Church. Has anybody seen it?
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

I watched it once upon a time... :P

I liked it because here the hero wasn`t all perfect and in fact, it wasn`t a hero, but a heroin

teh draons were very dumb IMO, but then again is a movie for kids
Joshrzmeup
Special Edition

Post by Joshrzmeup »

Yep. It has the lead singer (Andrea Corr) of my favorite band (The Corrs) as the singing voice of Kaylie and Celine Dion, my favorite singer has The Prayer. Duet or just Celine, it is an amazing song.
It was a very cute movie. I like how the hero was blind, it's not something very common at all, plus this time, the heroine had a mom, and not a dad. The two-headed dragon was dumb, yeah, but it's bearable.
The music is equal to that of any Disney movie, imo. David Foster and Carol Bayer-Sager did great writing. I just loooooove "Looking Through Your Eyes" but only when sung by Andrea Corr & Bryan White.
I've been looking for that soundtrack since the first time I saw the movie on tv, but it's nearly impossible to find.
User formerly known as LizzieMcGuire Image
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

My friends and I call it Quest for Camelsnot :lol:

Anyways, if they took out the two headed dragon it would have been MUCH better. Or at least had less of that dragon. At least with other comic sidekicks like Timon and Pumbaa and Donkey, they are actually FUNNY most of time. The dragons were just annoying all the way.

The music was VERY nice, however, the voice actors and singers did not match up. Jane Seymor did the voice of the mother and Celine Dion was the singing voice????? Completely mismatched to the point it was slightly annoying to me. However, one of the few Celine songs I actually like.

I like the fact that the main hero was not a man, but rather a young woman. And the hero ended up being blind, with a seeing-eye hawk, a very nice touch.

If it wasn't for those damn dragons I could stand watching it a lot more.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. I should watch it again some time. :P
- Jonathan
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I got it on DVD for 5.99 in Walmart's trashy DVD bin. :lol:
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

castleinthesky wrote:I got it on DVD for 5.99 in Walmart's trashy DVD bin. :lol:
Also known as "The Land of Misfit DVDs". Rather then list it as a price or sale, they should pull at the heart strings of people as if those DVDs were sad pound dogs and cats and say, "Adopt one of these great DVDs!" :lol:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Quest for Camelot

Post by Sotiris »

You can finally play Quest for Camelot movie’s Game Boy Color adaptation again
https://nerdvanamedia.com/gaming/ninten ... ot/167056/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

What’s the feeling on this movie? Is it worth revisiting? I remember finding the beginning of this movie really disturbing as a child.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Personally, I love it. Admittedly though, I have a soft spot for animated movies that tried to replicate Disney's formula in the '90s. In any case, I think it's definitely worth a watch at least once as an adult.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’ll have to rewatch it. I’ve owned the DVD for years and years.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, my history with Quest for Camelot has always been a muddled one. I first saw it on VHS three years after it`s release and it was the very first DVD that I ever bought. However, when I first saw it, I liked it a lot and didn`t understood why reviewers were mostly trashing it. Later viewings, however, made me realize it`s flaws. It`s very dramatically uneven. My biggest gripe is the comedy, as Devon and Cornwall are highly annoying. The same could be said about the rest of the comedy. Even the two serious ballads (The Prayer and Looking Through Your Eyes) feels essentially out of place, because they don`t truly mesh with the rest of the songs, have the wrong placement in the movie and have serious misleading comedy within them. Which makes their sequences jarring as a whole.
Still, despite of it`s flaws, I do have a soft spot for Quest for Camelot, nonetheless. The animation is fine, as are character designs and most of the songs, Kayley is a likable heroine and the story is engaging enough. Despite that there have been times in my life where I`ve seriously questioned why I even liked the film (due to it`s faults), my later viewings have made me realize that I do like it, nonetheless. So at the end, Camelot is definitively a movie that`s on my favorite list.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

This movie is available on YouTube for free (but with ads) for anyone who wants to revisit it. I checked it out after this thread reminded me of its existence. It was mostly terrible and couldn't keep my attention. I too have a soft spot for '90s Disney knockoffs produced/distributed by major studios but this is beyond doubt the worst of the lot. Animation is shoddy and inconsistent and the main characters have a tendency to look completely different frame to frame. Backgrounds are flat and lifeless (apart from some imaginative creature animation within the forest) and there's no sense of scope and adventure you'd expect from an Arthurian legend. A total waste of its famous and otherwise talented cast.

Its three saving graces are:
- a lead with a disability
- animation -- not the personality and dialogues -- of animal sidekicks, particularly Griffin, but the two-headed dragon is close behind (some truly wonderful squash and stretch animation)
- "The Prayer", the only legitimately good song in the movie

I do want the Hasbro dolls for my collection though lol.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Even as a child, I knew this movie was terrible. :lol: Still, I enjoyed bits and pieces of it, Garrett being the main thing. I liked most of the soundtrack, tbh. "Looking Through Your Eyes" is the thing that most left an impact on me as a child--mostly the End Credits version. But I grew up listening to LeAnn Rimes and Bryan White prior to the film, so them being in it made the soundtrack more palatable to me, I guess. He makes "I Stand Alone" bearable. "On My Father's Wings" is okay; it wasn't until I was much older before I realized the lead singer for the main character was from The Corrs.

I still have a nice pack of cards tied to this film. I think they had some partnership with Wendy's or whatever to compete with how Disney was with McDonald's back then.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"