Once Upon a Studio (WDAS Short)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Once Upon a Studio (WDAS Short)

Post by Kyle »

ah ha, yea, I was watching via live stream, so it decided to buffer at that exact moment. I'll have to watch it again when it goes online proper.

But I take it they just used an old sound byte then. Was hoping for a new line.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I actually think it was a new recording. Heโ€™s frightened byโ€ฆ I think it was, the Magic carpet? Or some other flying character? Anyway he kinda screams the last word, โ€œidiotsโ€ because heโ€™s surprised. So it might have been a blooper or something from the old recording, but itโ€™s definitely a different line reading from whatโ€™s in the movie.

Who was the little boy in the yellow costume with the tail that was flying past the animatorโ€™s office where Olaf was? Only character I didnโ€™t recognize.

I find it really incredible that 30 years later Scott Weinger sounds identical to the way he did in the movie.

Mickey telling Oswald, โ€œafter you!โ€ <3 <3 <3

I think my favorite gag is Robin Hood and Little John stealing Scroogeโ€™s money bags lolololol

If this doesnโ€™t get a physical media release I will be crushed!
Animation Compendia

Post by Animation Compendia »

UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:41 pm
Who was the little boy in the yellow costume with the tail that was flying past the animatorโ€™s office where Olaf was? Only character I didnโ€™t recognize.
That character was from the short film Back to Neverland, which played at The Magic of Disney Animation attraction at Disney-MGM Studios from 1989-2003. In the film, Robin Williams is turned into an animated character as he learns how an animated film is made. He plays a Lost Boy, which is why he is dressed in a yellow costume with a tail.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thank you! Iโ€™ve never heard of that character. His placement in the short also makes a lot of sense now.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

After Encanto, they played an encore of the short. I didn't cry this time but it's so enjoyable.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:28 pm Do we know who voiced Prince Charming?? Iโ€™m really hoping it was CD Barnes. Wikipedia lists him but not IMDb and neither of them are really reliable sources.

But I loved it! What a great memento to celebrate the Disney legacy.

I loved to hear Belle, Pocahontas, and Ariel open โ€œWhen You Wish Upon a Star.โ€ But I donโ€™t think I can ever forgive Scuttle for cutting in lol.

Just saw a clip of the voice actors from the short, but they didnโ€™t show everyone and they didnโ€™t show who voiced Prince Charming. I was surprised Cogsworth had a new voice actor, I assumed his line was an archival recording from David Ogden Stiersโ€” missed opportunity considering how frequently he acted with the company.
I thought Jeremy Irons was in this, I don't remember hearing him.
Scar appears and says โ€œIโ€™m surrounded by idiotsโ€ after Ralph walks into a door.
blackcauldron85 wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:13 pm I'm not crying, you're crying. I started crying at Mickey talking to Walt's photo, and the tears kept flowing. I'll definitely want to watch it being able to pause it. I squealed at so many characters. I loved it.
I felt the tears coming then!! And to hear โ€œFeed the Birdsโ€ during that partโ€ฆโ€ฆ. :( :( :(

Also the fact that the penguin waiter was carrying the Lady and the Tramp spaghetti!!! Lol
I agree. The short as a whole was warm and drenched with charm in it. The moment when "Feed the Birds" started to play when Mickey looked at a picture of Walt and quietly thanked him, was the pure definition of heartstrings being tugged. Overall, it was lovely!
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Some bits off model here and there but overall this was exceptional. Most of the animation was stunning.

Now make a hand drawn feature already.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Iโ€™m really looking forward to seeing it now, after hearing what you guys had to say about it.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I thought the short was lovely, and very fitting. The hit just the right tone.

A lot of the 2D animation was a little... tv-quality, and specially a lot of the human characters were off model (and bad anatomy).... but I will focus on what I thought were the best ones:

- Chernabog!! That moment was AWESOME.
- MERLIN. WAS. SPOT. ON. Even the Xerox look!!!
- the genie looked great.
- Madame Medusa!!! Small cameo, but looked JUST like the movie.
- Quasimodo!!! Great animation, super on-model. I can't believe they got Tom Hulce back!!
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Well, so many emotions about this here ๐Ÿ˜Š First of all, itโ€™s only really supposed to be about the Disney animation studios hence no Pixar or TV characters (besides the fact that a lot of these characters got their own show, EH? :-) Speaking of that shot at the end, itโ€™s really reassuring that they actually featured my favourite Disney feature animation movie in its first direct appearance/reference in any kind of media in close to 25 years, and still holds up and looks great in Aladar and his Lemur family attop him from Dinosaur! :-) I gotta say I was really starting to get sad they werenโ€™t going to at least visually acknowledge the movie, and while. itโ€™s only in this final shot, itโ€™s still reassuring to know that itโ€™s there; maybe if more attention gets drawn to and ask who they are, then maybe just maybe can we see the movie and itโ€™s property return if only in kingdom hearts?! :-) Speaking of which, it also makes me really happy to know that they at least subtlety acknowledged Kingdom hearts in a particular scene with Donald in the elevator; thereโ€™s also ties into another thing Iโ€™m glad they showed more of what is my other favourite Disney movie with Tarzan as Terk was in the elevator with Donaldโ€ฆโ€ฆ :-) On that note as well, Iโ€™m glad they actually gave some attention to the lesser successful ones lie Elionwy From the Black cauldron, Lewis and Wilbur from meet the Robinsons, and milo from Atlantis :-) They often donโ€™t do that, and again itโ€™s great that they actually acknowledged even if only so briefly that they are there. I was actually watching some Clips of house of mouse last night, and it goes without saying that this short essentially is the closest to our new house of mouse that weโ€™re going to get (Or is itโ€ฆโ€ฆ :)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I just watched the whole thing on Disney+. I loved it, and I agree, not all the characters were on model, but it didn't bother me at all. The little "Feed the Birds" moment was lovely, and it made me shed a tear. And also, when all the characters started singing "When You Wish Upon A Star" gave me goosebumps. It was a great idea having all the characters interacting with each other. The archival audio for the older characters worked great as well.

I agree with what PatrickvD said. The animation's quality was amazing, they need to make a new hand drawn animated feature film.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

What a lovely short! I really enjoyed it, the characters, the energy, the emotions. A perfect way to celebrate Disney's legacy. I loved how usually forgotten or less popular characters were given the spotlight instead of the obvious ones (I'm glad most princesses took the back seat this time). The end message made me choke up a little.
UmbrellaFish wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:28 pm Do we know who voiced Prince Charming?? Iโ€™m really hoping it was CD Barnes. Wikipedia lists him but not IMDb and neither of them are really reliable sources.
The end credits list Keith Ferguson as the voice of Prince Charming. I too thought it'd be CDB given he voiced the role in the sequels and his line in the short could have been a reference to his original Disney role.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Wow, just watched it on D+, never thought I would have gotten Goosebumps while watching the short, but I did and it was lovely! :) Most of the Characters in it looked Spot on! Like Quasi and Tiana, Aladdin, Genie, Belle and Beast, Lady&Tramp Bambi and Co and way more. I loved all the gags, like the one of Ursula and the thing from Strange world, or especially the one with the puppies watching Fantasia and I was happy Rapunzel had her badass moment too lol :P Also all the older CG characters looked a bit more upgraded I think, like the ones from MeettheRobinsons and Tangled, even Hans! The Short was really lovely and when they assembled through the Song it felt all so natural!!! Definitely going to watch it again! :D
Just have to say it again: Tiana looked AMAZING! I think we dont need to worry about the upcoming series :wave:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Mooky wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:14 am
The end credits list Keith Ferguson as the voice of Prince Charming. I too thought it'd be CDB given he voiced the role in the sequels and his line in the short could have been a reference to his original Disney role.
Ahh, what a shame. As you say, I thought for sure it was a reference to Barnes playing both Prince Charming and Prince Eric.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:54 am Also all the older CG characters looked a bit more upgraded I think, like the ones from MeettheRobinsons and Tangled, even Hans!
They were. Disney used Pixarโ€™s RenderMan from Chicken Little to Frozen and since Big Hero 6 they switched to their own rendering software - Hyperion. Therefore, they had to update these characters for the new system. The original Ralph and Frozen characters were already updated for their sequels.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Also, I forgot to mention... Stromboli with the vending machine... great animation, super on-model.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Marce82 wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:53 pm Also, I forgot to mention... Stromboli with the vending machine... great animation, super on-model.
Agreed! That was very fluid and on-model. Impressive little shot.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:08 am
The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:54 am Also all the older CG characters looked a bit more upgraded I think, like the ones from MeettheRobinsons and Tangled, even Hans!
They were. Disney used Pixarโ€™s RenderMan from Chicken Little to Frozen and since Big Hero 6 they switched to their own rendering software - Hyperion. Therefore, they had to update these characters for the new system. The original Ralph and Frozen characters were already updated for their sequels.
Ah, I had wondered about that, because I'm pretty sure those old models/rigs were not compatible with anything they were currently using.

I wonder if they plan on using these for anything else, seems like a lot of work a few seconds of usage.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Photo op at a Disney D23 event:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/asadayaz/ (Instagram stories)
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Loved this short :clap: :clap: :clap:
It uses nostalgia in a simple yet efficient way, but more importantly just the right way.
It good enough to be remembered. The animation is pretty good and solid, and there weren't as many off-model characters as what the trailer made us fear.
They showed only some parts of the studio, it missed some wider spaces and halls, and other floors, oh well.. :)
Last edited by Clindor on Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.